Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2225588 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 704 705 706 707 708 ... 760 Previous Next
  • SnackerChris Pro 163 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,575. Jul 24, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to seasicksquid)
    200+ Pound Club!

@seasicksquid you CAN do it if YOU want to!  Attitude and mindset make all the difference in running!  For me I looked at running in the beginning as a way to get the maximum calorie burn for the time spent.  Maybe try using that calories out viewpoint to get you through and also motivate you to watch your calories in.  

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

Snacks All The Weigh Down

---

Began 2010 @ 325lbs - Never even ran to dinner EVER before!

Started C25K Sept/2010 (239 lbs) - Graduated Nov/2010 (216 lbs)

First Official 5K - Frosty 5K 12/11/2010 - 25:57.8 (211 lbs)

Living for Zachary Heart Run 5K - 10/22/2011 - 22:34 (202 lbs) PR

Salute American Heroes 10K - 11/12/2011 - 47:48 (202 lbs) PR

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - 12/4/2011 - 1:57:39 (202 lbs)

Leaping Leprechauns 15K - 3/10/2012 - 1:15:35 (210 lbs) PR

Big D Half Martahon - 4/15/2012 - 1:57:51 (215 lbs - felt it) PR

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

• BelieveInU Rookie 8 posts since
    Jun 20, 2011
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!!!!  I know that I have been gone for sometime, but I am back.  While gone though I have run 3 5K's!!! This running thing can get addictive.  I never thought I would say that.  Don't get me wrong, I do not always like to run, but I love the way I feel after I have run.  Coming from a plus size woman,
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!  Keep it up guys!

• okjoan Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2012
    10,577. Jul 25, 2012 6:30 AM (in response to seasicksquid)
    200+ Pound Club!

Keep going seasick! I ran outside today for the first time and that dang negative voice in my head kept trying to beat me up. But I reminded myself I was lapping everyone on the couch. I too have been cheating on the diet, but today is another day to begin. There are no quick fixes, I remind myself, this is a new life and I will not get all the good stuff all at once.

• seasicksquid Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 1, 2012
    10,578. Jul 25, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to SnackerChris)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I'm just at a point of frustration. Despite keeping my calories at 1600 or lower, I haven't lost for 3 weeks. I'm struggling in the C25k, though still moving forward. It's getting to the point in the summer down here in Louisiana where I want to begin hibernating in the air conditioning, too. I never stopped to think about the heat until someone asked me how I managed in the heat last week. Now it's all I think about when I run, besides "Is this interval over yet?"

I'm going to keep going, because I don't give up, especially when so many people are looking to me to be strong and prove that it is possible. I AM going to prove to the doubters that I can do it, come hell or high water - and we get both of those things in New Orleans!

• greenie78 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 25, 2012
    10,579. Jul 25, 2012 8:20 AM (in response to Zyndyna)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and have started the C25k program a couple weeks ago. I have been doing the w1d1-3 for a couple weeks, and now have been able to run the whole thing with out wanting to die!! lol I'm now onto wk2d1-3 and seem to be struggling with it, although it doesn't help that the weather is really hot here! There are 6 reps and I can only get through 4, so I will continue to work on it! I have decided to set a date for my first 5k so I can have something to focus on and not feel like giving up! The problem now is I'm a little nervous I won't be ready in time for the race, although it is 2mo away! Did any of you have the same worries when you trained for your first 5k??

I've always wanted to run and my goal has been to lose my weight and be able to run a 5k, I so far have dropped 90lbs and so I felt it was time to start on that goal of running a 5k! I still have a ways to go weight wise, but I'm happy with where I'm at! It's inspiring to see others like me being able to reach the same goal I am aiming for!! 

I noticed that a few were asking questions about an app for androids, the one I use is called rundouble; it is free or you can pay $1.20 for the extras that it offers. It sticks to c25k program; I really like the app and it seems to be working for me. What I really like about it is I can have my own music playing while the program is running and when it tells you to switch it just lowers the music so you can hear her. It also reads your pace time and distance to you.

• chipy13 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    10,580. Jul 25, 2012 9:14 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

To seasicksquid, you CAN do it!! I know I still roll out of bed on run days and I just want to keep hitting the snooze button! But you just have to keep repeating in your mind "I can do this. I can do this". Eventually your body will believe it too. Trust me, I had little faith in myself at the beginning (and every time I start a new week!) and I am still surprised when I make it through a run, but I am definitely starting to really believe I can finish this! You can too!

To greenie78, don't worry about repeating weeks. It's better to repeat them then to try what you're not ready for and get discouraged. It will get easier, you just have to have faith in yourself that you can do this no matter how long it takes. And no matter what, it's a lot better than sitting on the couch! As for the 5k training, I am still debating when to sign up for a 5k. I do think if I sign up for one it'll be another motivator for me to stick with this so I probably should. And even if you can't run the whole thing, just walk part of it. Eventually you will be able to run it all. Good luck!!

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    10,581. Jul 25, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to seasicksquid)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Seasick -

Just wanted to post something for you to think about.  1600 calories may not be enough for you and you may be putting your body into starvation mode.  I don't remember how much you said that you weigh, but I will tell you about my personal experience.  I currently weigh in at 269lbs.  2 years ago, I started the C25k program for the first time.  I took the opportunity to have metabolic testing done through my gym and got an assessment.  I think I weighed about 10lbs more then than I do today.  My base metabolic rate (BMR) turned out to be 2900 calories per day.  That's what it takes for me to maintain my current weight.  At the time, I was trying to keep to 1600 calories per day based on the idea that if 2000 calories is right for a normal weight person, then cutting to 1600 would be an achievable weight loss.  So essentially, I was cutting my calories by almost 50% every day and I wasn't losing any weight.  I bumped my calories to 2200 per day and started seeing results.  As far as BMR calculators go, I found the one at the Livestrong site to come the closest to what the metabolic testing showed - it was only off by about 100 calories.

The other thing to keep in mind is that whatever you set your calorie target as, you need to make that your net calories.  If you set your target at 1600 calories and then you burn 500 calories running, your net calorie intake is only 1100 calories - again, putting you in starvation mode.

I know it seems odd to think that if you eat more, you will start to lose weight, but it can happen if you have cut your calories down too far.

Best of luck!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• CapnDonkey Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    10,582. Jul 25, 2012 10:33 AM (in response to Trishinator)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just replying to agree with everything Trishinator wrote.  I've struggled with being over 300lbs for years since I quit smoking, and I thought hard diets were the way to go.  That is, until I learned about MBR calculations.  Evidently, I'm supposed to eat almost 3600 calories a day to maintain my weight, and 3100 to lose weight.  Once I spread that massive caloric intake out through 5 meals, and started a healthy cardio AND weightlifting program, I started to see results.  I started at 365, and now I'm down to 325, but it's a LEANER 325.  The weight doesn't melt off, it creeps off very very slowly.  But I can see pictures from 6 months ago where my shoulders and arms aren't nearly as big as they are now, and my calves and forearms show off the hard work I've put in, even if my midsection still bulges.  But I'm never going to have a six-pack.  I'm not built that way.  I doubt I'll ever see the south side of 200, considering I'm 6'2" with 8.5" wrists. (they use wrist circumference on the BMR calculator to gauge your frame)  Just like I'm never going to be a marathoner.  But I've already run 6 5ks in 3 years, and even though I'm slow, I'm faster than everyone standing still, and everyone still cheers me on as I lumber across the finish line. 

If you find yourself in a running rut, try mixing up weights with your cardio.  A strong, healthy core is just as important as lung and heart function to runners.  

This has been a long post from someone who mostly lurks, so I'll leave y'all with three truths I've finally learned after years of struggling with weight:

1. Food is fuel.  You get out what you put in, and that's no joke.  "Garbage in, Garbage out" is not just a clever phrase.

2. You can't burn fat without muscle.  A simple weight routine, even just situps and pushups if you don't have weights, is essential to keep your body burning fat efficiently

3. If it doesn't CHALLENGE you, it doesn't CHANGE you.  If I'm not gasping for breath after that last mile, or exhausted from that final rep of my last workout set, then I didn't give it my all, and I'm only cheating myself.

Good Luck, and DON'T QUIT.  Even if they're not right beside you, know that when you're out there on the trail/path/treadmill/gym, that you've got people rooting for you!

Started training 8/27/10 - 357.5 lbs

Lowest weight in 2011 - 308.1 lbs

Post Injury weight on 12/15/11 - 351.4 lbs

Current weight 5/31/12 - 330 lbs

Goal Weight - 12/25/12 - 250.00 lbs

Major Setbacks - Willpower, muscle retention.

• Keurigirl Amateur 10 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    10,583. Jul 25, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone! Jumping into this thread in hopes that this will be a great place for advice and tips during my progress & my journey! I'm on week 5 of c25k and really liking the program. I am shocking the hell out of myself that I can actually do any running! I am super slow right now, but I know that will progress as I continue my journey.

I'm currently 275 lbs, (I cannot believe I typed that) and have lost about 18 pounds in the past 6 weeks. It was coming off fast and then for two weeks I've totally stalled out. It's so frustrating! Ugh. It definitely puts a damper on my motivation. I'm swimming a mile or so on the days I'm not running, and swimming 1/2 miles on the days I run. I am also starting to include the bike once or twice a week. Basically, just trying to kill it out there. LOL. I've been feeling really great up until the past week - which I've been feeling really sluggish and my workouts are 3x as hard. I'm hoping it's my body changing, and I keep telling myself that these are the most important workouts - the ones where I struggle, but I can't figure out what is different or why suddenly it's getting harder.

However, I am training for the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon in January at Disneyland and am super excited to accomplish that. I've got a triathlon and some 5 & 10k's along the way that I've signed up for as well, just to keep me motivated. I'm really trying to start seeing myself as a runner and athlete.

Does anyone else keep track of their workouts on daily mile? I'd love to be friends - you can find here here: http://www.dailymile.com/people/Keurigirl

I have a couple of other questions - can anyone recommend a watch that tracks your pace and mileage? I'd love any tips on what to buy. Thanks!

• SnackerChris Pro 163 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    10,584. Jul 25, 2012 3:25 PM (in response to Trishinator)
    200+ Pound Club!

@seasick I was slow to the punch but I agree with everyone else talking about too little calories.   I personally tried to eat at the net calorie level I WOULD need to maintain the weight I target.   Net meaning after subtracting any major exercise (aka a run).  If you make your goal too low at first then you will eat too little and your body will hold on for dear life.   That was my experience anyway.

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

Snacks All The Weigh Down

---

Began 2010 @ 325lbs - Never even ran to dinner EVER before!

Started C25K Sept/2010 (239 lbs) - Graduated Nov/2010 (216 lbs)

First Official 5K - Frosty 5K 12/11/2010 - 25:57.8 (211 lbs)

Living for Zachary Heart Run 5K - 10/22/2011 - 22:34 (202 lbs) PR

Salute American Heroes 10K - 11/12/2011 - 47:48 (202 lbs) PR

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - 12/4/2011 - 1:57:39 (202 lbs)

Leaping Leprechauns 15K - 3/10/2012 - 1:15:35 (210 lbs) PR

Big D Half Martahon - 4/15/2012 - 1:57:51 (215 lbs - felt it) PR

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

• mitchm1557 Amateur 19 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    10,585. Jul 25, 2012 9:30 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well folks I am back. Nothing like starting over from scratch. After running my way to a 10k in October last year I had a slight accident where I managed to fall about 20 feet and landed on my hip and head. Needless to say I was out of the runing scene for some time. A friend talked me into training on a bicycle for the Seattle to Protland ride, yes 204 miles on a bicycle seat is a long long ways to go in 2 days. I decided that today was the day to go give my running shoes a workout. I managed two slow miles in the 85 degree heat. But man did it feel good anyways  enough with the rambling. Just thought I would stop in and say hi and will hopefully be back soon.

4-2-2011 Run like a fool 5k Olympia, Wa finished 35.22 (1st ever)

07/16/2011 Lakefair 8K Olympia, Wa  Finished 50.21

• LadyTaty Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012
    10,586. Jul 26, 2012 11:36 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi there, I'm relatively new to this, but I've heard about the C25K program from friends on facebook. I've been a walker almost all my life, and I don't get very winded on stairs, unless it's more than 4-5 flights. But I have always felt like I could be more fit. This past month I have been walking 3miles a day 5-6 days a week, and I have seen some differences in the way my clothes fit. Before I got here I weighed in at 239. I've never been more than 239 and never been less than 220. I have yet to weigh myself since. At 25yrs old and 5'4 I'm getting pretty fed up that the person inside is not who I see on the outside. I was thinking of starting the plan, but I have a few concerns. Joints are one of my family's trouble areas, and I have always heard that running is pretty bad on your joints. After reading, I like the fact that the program starts you out pretty easy and you work your way up. I'm thinking August 1st is going to be my day 1 week 1 when I get back home to a familiar "stomping ground". Any tips for a newb and suggestions about joints would be greatly appreciated.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,587. Jul 26, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping cool.  been off the site for a bit.  just never get around to updating...getting back into running shape after spring knee injury.  did 5k on 4th, been out for couple longer 10K+ waddles, then quick visit to Indy for Fathers 75th birthday - hard to waddle while driving 12 hrs each way.  Looking to add a 10K for august and a 1/2 marathon this fall.  vacation and travel plans are in the air so I have no idea which 1/2 I will do this year. 

weights been steady - dipped below 225 rose up to around 230....I am used to bouncing a little don't worry it too much. I am happy to stay flat when I am traveling. 

I just go new pair of nike free run3's  only been out in them once - 5k on the 4th.  loved them.  just decided to completely kill the old pair first.  I will switch over circa sept if my plans hold for waddling between 10-20 miles a week.  I just could not resist the color - bright yellow....

welcome to all who are new - I hope to be a little more active as ausust rolls around and son returns to college....

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• nerudathedog Amateur 13 posts since
    May 18, 2012
    10,588. Aug 1, 2012 10:35 AM (in response to LadyTaty)
    200+ Pound Club!

LadyTaty, I meant to answer this sooner--I hope you're still on track to start C25K today! I was worried about my joints when I started (I was well over 250 and had never successfully run in my life). I started with walking, and walked for a couple of months before I started the program. I also read somewhere that if I was able to run slower, it meant I was running too fast! That surprised the heck out of me, but I took it to heart, and made my "runs" as slow as I could. I built muscle and endurance, and yesterday, I ran 3.5 miles--and I could have gone farther! It is astonishing to me that at the end of May I was trying to figure out how to handle those 60- and 90-second intervals, and now I can just lace up and go. But I am convinced that the reason I'm here--and here without so much as a shin splint--is that I put staying uninjured at the top of my list. I knew (and still know) that if I got injured badly enough that I got off-track for more than a day or two, I risked never getting back on track again. Patience is not my strong suit, but I've been trying to build that slowly, along with my muscles.

I didn't have to repeat any days or weeks, but I know plenty of people who have, and who don't regret it at all. Listen to your body, and push yourself a bit (but not too much!) in the early days, and it will start paying off for you before you know it.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. Good luck to you, and to everyone else who's just getting started.

• dmtol34 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    10,589. Aug 1, 2012 12:17 PM (in response to nerudathedog)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the site and just started week 4 of c25k.  I had a tough time with day one and thinking about going back to week 3.  My shins are in a lot of pain.  I've tried stretching but think I may need new running shoes.  Using an old pair that I have had for awhile.  Any suggestions for shin splints?

I don't want to stop but the pain is getting so bad that I am afraid of injury.  I have always had issues with shin splints. 

Donna

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...