Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1104 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 3:53 PM by GinnyinPA
Ian_Moone Amateur 23 posts since
Apr 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2012 9:00 AM

gave up on c25k but trying something different

Last year I was doing the c25k and ended up giving up on it.

back in April I just started to run walk without using any timers or distances I just run until I fell a little uncomfortable then slow down and keep going until I just don't feel like running any more, then I walk until I feel like running again.

I am going to be 50yrs old and 6'2' and starting weight of 248lbs. now I weigh around 238 lbs my legs are stronger but I seem to be having a problem. I run pretty good when I am not around any one, for instance.,I walk out my door down the road for about 5 minutes, at the bottom of a say 30 degree angle hill, I run up the hill  over the top and down the other side ( which is a little bit steeper and allot longer), at the bottom of the hill there are lights and if I am lucky the light will be green so that I can just keep going until I get to the path of the lake. now all of this is maybe 1/2 -3/4 of a km and if I keep reminding myself to slow down I usually enter the path of the lake feeling just a tiny bit sore and can adjust my mind set and breathing accordingly. when I get to the lake side all is good unless there are people around. For some reason or other people totally mess's me up and I have to stop and walk.

My question ,is there a trick or something I can do so that I can get past this problem?

I have know real idea why this mess's me up. I know that when I was doing the c25k program I seemed to get a little messed up worrying about when the timer was going to go off this is the reason why I quite

• dgnjrsxhm Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 30, 2012
    1. Jul 30, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to Ian_Moone)

It sounds like a social phobia or anxiety type thing to me.  I feel uncomfortable around other people often times and it can mess with my breathing and blood pressure.  If this is whats causing it maybe try using a mp3 player to distract you if you aren't already and try to ignore and not look at or think about the other people.

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    2. Jul 30, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to dgnjrsxhm)

For me, I notice that I don't run as well when I am around other people as when I am running solo.  I think it IS a bit of a kind of social anxiety but very subclinical .  We run for ourselves, and compete against ourselves.  But for most people I think it probably is hard (at first) to focus on ourselves when we get in a group.  Frankly this is something that I was surprised at in myself when I ran my first 5K.  I read frequently about the great energy of a crowd and the atmosphere of events bouying some people.  Maybe I'll eventually feel that way.  But as a beginner, I still feel .. I guess I would say "embarrassed" about my speed and form and such.  For me, THAT is what I think messes me up when I run around others.

In fact I run indoors on a treadmill partially because my "neighborhood" isn't that much of a neighborhood.  If I run outdoors, the first part of the course involves a fairly major road.  Not many people walk or run along it (I sometimes have seen bicyclists).  I know that when I am driving this road, I notice anyone walking, or running, right away.  I think it is the tendency to put myself in their shoes and the awareness that as a car driver or passenger, I DO notice them, that makes me shy about my own run.

I think if this is the case for you, then the real only "trick" other than distractions like music, is to expose ourselves regularly to running with others around.  Eventually like anything else, we will feel more comfortable running this way.  It's just like giving speeches or anything else in public.  The more you do it, the more at ease you are with it.

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Aug 1, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to Ian_Moone)

If you are also anxious about being around other people when you're not running, then it could very well be some sort of social phobia. However, if it occurs only when you are running, it may simply be self-consciousness about running. This is not uncommon among new runners - it is very easy to imagine that everyone is watching you as you run. However, the odds are that they're paying little attention to you, other than a passing glance as you go by. I would recommend distracting yourself by whatever method works for you - focusing on the scenery, perhaps, or using an MP3 player with music, podcasts, audiobooks or whatever you like to listen to. Also try a quick smile or a wave as you pass other people on foot (runners, walkers, etc.). Some of them will reciprocate and that can really make your day.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• Dye-Keyes Rookie 1 posts since
    May 19, 2011
    5. Aug 2, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to Ian_Moone)

I'm a newbie too & hated C25K. I purchased the Zombies, Run! app for my iPhone and now I look forward to my treadmill runs. I don't like running outside because in my neighborhood we have quite a few dogs, some not so friendly and the drivers around here are SCARY. I find with the game I'm more interested in how the story unfolds and the zombie chases really get me running fast even though I know no one is there. I still do run/walk intervals but my running is getting better because I'm having fun, and I'm helping my township survive ( it's a Runner 5 thing, part of the game ). My races have been fun, I usually have walked them so as not to get trampled because I'm still a slow runner ( but a drn fast walker   . It may help.

Val

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    6. Aug 3, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to Ian_Moone)

When I first moved from the treadmill to outdoors, I was really self-conscious.  Then I realized that when I'm driving and I see a runner, my thought is always a positive "Good for you."  Doesn't matter whether they are running easily or with difficulty, it is great that they are out there moving.  That really is all that matters. 

What you might do, is slow down when you reach the peopled areas. Don't walk, just jog slowly.  Then when you feel comfortable, speed up again. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points