Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11849 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 9:26 AM by KFish33 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
1to1 Amateur 74 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2012 10:10 AM

C25K - August, 2012

Hi New Runners,

Everyone is welcome to join our newbie groups. 

1. What Week/Day are you on?

2. How do you feel?

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• dmtol34 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    2. Aug 1, 2012 12:04 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

Hi, 

1. What Week/Day are you on?  W4D1

2. How do you feel?  day 1 of week  was rough for me.  my shins are in so much pain. 

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Have not yet but thinking of repeating week 3 this week b/c of my shin and calf pains. 

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?  no

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?  I have not noticed much except the shin pain is getting worse.  Starting to think I need new running shoes.  I have not run in quite awhile and using an older pair.  Any suggestions?  I really don't want to stop but also don't want to injury myself. 

Thanks 

DMTOL34

• RunsWithLimp Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 11, 2008
    3. Aug 1, 2012 4:25 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

Hi,

1. What Week/Day are you on?  Pre-week 1, Day 2 (I decided to to two pre-weeks of just walking hard for 20 min. with 5 min. warmups and cooldowns.  I want to establish the habit, then move into the program.  I quit running years ago after pushing too hard and injuring myself, and I figure at 52 I earned the right to take my time.

2. How do you feel?  I feel great.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?  Planning to.  Technically, I guess I haven't truly started yet.

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?  Not yet.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?  I'm remembering how burning energy first thing in the morning seems to give a little extra energy later in the morning.

RWL

• chipy13 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    4. Aug 2, 2012 4:51 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? w4d3

2. How do you feel?pretty good. I have been battling some knee pain but it seems to be getting a lot better.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?yes I repeated w1 and I will be repeating this week

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?not really

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?The runs are definitely getting easier to get through. I  am still shocked each time I get through a run! I haven't lost much weight unfortunately, but I really haven't changed my diet all that much. I have lost inches though!

I am still amazed that I have kept with this for so long! Usually I start something like this and get discouraged and just give up. I actually enjoy getting out and running-once I am fully awake that is, since I go out at 445 am! It is usually cooler at that time so that's a plus, and I'm not fully awake so my brain can't protest too much!!

Good luck everyone!!

• Learnin2Run2012 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2012
    5. Aug 2, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

Hey Everyone!

1. What Week/Day are you on?  I just started this week but I started with W2 and have done it 2x so W2D2... I was running with my hubby before about .4 miles but decided to try this.

2. How do you feel? I feel good

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? not yet

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? nope

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I feel better than I thought I would and I want to keep doing it and going on

I am going to do a 5K Oct 6th

• BarefootSteph Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2012
    6. Aug 2, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? 

W2D3

2. How do you feel?

I was feeling great until this last run.  This last one, I had really bad pain in both shins and kind of hobbled my way home.  Not sure if I overdid it hiking on the weekend, may need a different pair of shoes, or what.  I'm probably going to repeat the last run rather than shifting to Week 3.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?

I repeated W1D3 because I shifted to a minimalist shoe and didn't want to overdo it.  Most likely going to repeat W2D3 tomorrow.

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?

Nope.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?

I'm a little more cheerful during the work day.

• LoriJeanMiller Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 20, 2012
    7. Aug 2, 2012 5:40 PM (in response to 1to1)
    Re: C25K - August, 2012

1. What week/day are you on? Completed W3D1 today.

2. How do you feel? My knee is improving greatly (IT Band issue), healthier, happier, and more confidant.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or a day? No

4. Did you add or remove time from one of your runs? I did do another half of a daily routine on W2D3 because I just really wanted to run more an hour later.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? My legs look thinner and more defined and I am dropping some poinds!

• Grumpys wife Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012
    8. Aug 3, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

I have completed W1D3, I am 50 and doing this program with my daughter and niece who are both in their early 20's. Day 1 I had to skip a jog and replace with a walk but days 2 and 3 I was able to jog all my jogs. If the girls get ahead of me on the jogs they double back on the walks and get even with me. The heat is horrible in Louisiana but we are making it. You would know I would decide to start this when we are under a heat advisory, ha.

I hope to continue to progress with this program. I'm sure as the jogs get longer the girls will get way ahead of me but that's ok.  I would love to become a runner.  Getting new shoes this weekend

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    9. Aug 3, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

I just finished W1D2.  I have gone full circle one other time from Couch to 5k and back to couch again.  This time I want to keep my lifestyle changes and stay fit!  I really enjoy this program, enjoy the whole concept of being a runner.

My first day I did at the gym, the second day I just finished in my garage in Queen Creek, Arizona without AC.  I'm sweating like crazy but I feel GREAT!

I've only done two runs thus far, but hope to stick to everything and not add any time.

• LaurenHM Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 3, 2012
    11. Aug 3, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? W1D3

2. How do you feel? Pretty good I hope to keep it up.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Nope but I try to walk with my kids for 30 mins on the days I don't run.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Not outwardly yet but I feel each run getting easier.

• LoriJeanMiller Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 20, 2012
    12. Aug 3, 2012 6:37 PM (in response to Grumpys wife)
    C25K - August, 2012

I understand about starting this during an insane heatwave - it is nuts! But, better to be nuts and healthy than nuts and still a couch potato!

By the way, I LOVE your user name!

• Sushi-gal Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 16, 2012
    13. Aug 3, 2012 8:03 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

Well it looks like my C25k stint is finally over.

Podiatrist told me that my feet and knees are not made for running and advised against continuing to do so. Not to mention if I did pursue it I'd need a pair of orthotics which are $500+ for a pair....

So I'm going to stick to nice long walks 3x a week instead.

It was fun while it lasted. At least I won't be in pain anymore!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    14. Aug 5, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to Sushi-gal)
    C25K - August, 2012

Awww, Sushi-gal!  I'm so sorry about the bad news!  But hey, some people can walk as fast as I run, so as far as I'm concerned, why not continue to hang with us!!  Ouch, those are pricey orthotics, aren't they!!

I just completed W4D3.  I feel okay, but I'm also feeling the effects of the lunges I did in yesterday's weight session.  (I hate lunges.  And I KNEW I'd still be feeling those today when I ran!  Ugh!). 

I am going to repeat at least a day of W4 because I didn't finish the last five minute interval either on D2 or D3.  So I'm not yet ready to move ahead.  It really felt a LOT hotter and more humid today, even though we had some heavy rain.  DogCrazy1966, I don't know how on earth you managed to run in an un-air conditioned garage!  I run in a 3 season room, and even so I turn the ceiling fan on and wait until the sun has set (or nearly set), and it STILL is uncomfortable these days.  Those who are thinking about the wisdom of starting training in a heat advisory:  just think how great we'll feel when the cool days arrive!!!  We will feel like we are FLYING!

I'm watching for little things like my rings being looser, the muffin-top decreasing, seeing more of the bone structure in my face.  Those tend to be my gauges for how healthy I am living.  I am kind of watching my nutrition using SparkPeople too.  (But I'm tracking in waaay too many places already!).

I LOVE Zombies, Run! but am not using it for the C25K, just for walks.  So far I'm having some trouble getting music into the playlist and not restarting the original mission.  But it's pretty fun even so!  And RunKeeper is fantastic, but I wish more folks in my local area were there to make up a Street Team with!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links