Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578264 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 239 240 241 242 243 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,600. Aug 3, 2012 7:53 PM (in response to Webpro11)
    My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea, linuscatch, jmsab23 - thanks!  I still don't feel like a "runner" so I had lots of doubts as to whether I could or should try a half.  Add to that my highly competitive nature and my aversion to anything that remotely resembles quitting and I worried about setting myself up for failure.  After obsessing over the race's website for weeks I decided to just register right  then or forever hold my peace.  Maybe I should call it a "pikermi" so the term "half marathon" won't intimidate me. 

linuscatch - nice oval workout

Kerry - welcome and good luck with the marathon training.  I'm a slow and steady kinda gal myself.

MelodyLea - glad the air has cleared  - now get that teen out running with you!

Runslowdan - good luck on your 10K!

NHLA - congats to the proud papa.  I hope the cramps are a thing of the past now.

jmsab23 - running at 9:00 pm after a really long work day is amazing.  Bummer about the Sox but it seems to be par for their course this year.  Good  luck on your 10K.

MelodyLea, Mike, NHLA, and Tony - here's hoping the humidity goes away soon.  ick

Wednesday night was yoga.  Thurs. morning was a nice strong 4.75 mile run - humid and a little hilly but I felt great afterwards.  One walk break per mile which is tremendous progress from the intervals.   Today was a rest day - except for work - that 4 letter word that ruins a perfectly good day. 

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    3,601. Aug 4, 2012 3:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Anyone else not getting e-mail updates anymore? I haven't gotten them all week it's a real bummer! They are practically the only e-mails I read.

I've been real busy this week can't remember what I posted last.

Wednesday did the swim solo. I still get seasick when the water is choppy despite taking sea calm before hitting the water. That's a bit embarrassing.

Friday had a miserable run. I'm just dead tired. A hair under 3 miles in 44 minutes. (3r/1w intervals).

Having chest pains again, considering my roommate has bronchitis and has been hacking up a lung for the last week, I wouldn't be surprised if that was it. Going home next Saturday so I'm going to wait it out and see if it's not better by then and see a real doctor. The doctor here is often referred to as a vet by the crew... Though I wouldn't trust him to take care of my dog.

Did 7 mile long run today and started out feeling really heavy and got frustrated by the slow pace even with my hrm telling me to "go slower" repeatedly. If I went any slower I would have been standing still! Decided at 3.5 to stop listening to it and picked up the pace. Felt fine, pretty good actually) til mile 6 went I stopped at a light and realized my heart was beating out of my chest. The last half mile was a real pain but I finished in 1:55. Probably where I would have if I was feeling 100% and doing slow and steady instead of creeping then going all out... Well next saturday I'm flying all day and all night so my next scheduled long run of 4 miles might not happen. (is it sad I'm still comtenplating running when I should be dragging my luggage off the ship?)

Of course I did run my best when the theme from superman came up on my iPod.... Talk about great running music...

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,602. Aug 4, 2012 8:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

16.5 miles 2 hr 12 min. Swimming in air.

Not getting updates either.

Deb: 1/2 is the way to go.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,603. Aug 5, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to NHLA)

We did it! Me and my little dog ran 11 miles this morning. I think I saw turtles passing on the left, but we "got 'er done". I should have carried more water and maybe one more gel (I brought two). It was 90% humidity when I headed out at 7:30 am, so one bottle of liquids wasn't enough. My little dog is so tough...I'm really proud of her.

ifl2003 I hope your long run is cooler!

NHLA "Aug. is tough because I get so tired of this heat." <~ I hear ya!

Webpro11 I hope things cool off for you too. Nice job getting it done, though!

Debm2011 Good to hear your run was strong and welcome to half marathon training!

CKLindsay I sure hope you don't catch your roomate's chest cold! Almost home...

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    3,604. Aug 5, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Nice job all!

Ran 8 miles at a local park yesterday with my half marathon team (which, with a couple group runs so far, will actually be a team this year) and a couple others from a local group I found. Nice to run with others. Kept a nice steady pace, but hoped to go faster in the last couple miles. It just wasn't there, but at least I didn't slow...

Gonna get out this evening and do something. Haven't decided speed or distance. Thinking slow and middle.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,605. Aug 5, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hiking with family. Pilot Cove-Slate rock trail. This trailis beautiful. You will see plants that you have never seen.  http://www.hikewnc.info/trails/mills-river/pilot-cove-slate-rock

Nice long run Mel.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    3,606. Aug 5, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good day everyone - been traveling a bit and have found it hard to keep on the boards.

did a relatively pain free 8.4 km this evening while dodging raindrops...I am planning a 10K at end of the month and pointing toward 1/2 marathon this fall.  Not sure which one as my schedule is in flux. 

I've been pushing to have at least one longer waddle per week - and I am looking forward to some cooler weather this fall....

Skoal everyone!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,607. Aug 5, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I did the spontaneous 10K Saturday morning before the cool front moved in.  low 80's and humid!  There's a good side and a bad side to running the 10K in a small local race.  Bad side-I was #19 registered, so at my pace I knew I'd finish in the back.  I did manage to come in before a younger lady who was slowed down by her dog!  Good side-when you're the only one in your age group, you get the medal and the cool WI Badger fold up canvas chair!  lol.

I had to take advantage of the cooler weather this morning and did another easy 4 mi. Felt very good!  The entire next week looks like good, more typical WI summer weather.  This Saturday should be another long slow run, hopefully the cooler weather holds.

Enjoy the week friends!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,608. Aug 6, 2012 6:54 AM (in response to justrundan)

justrundan: like the new handle!  And props on your 10k medal!!!

ogr44: good to see you back online

NHLA: pretty country out your way.  Bet it felt good to "hike" instead of "run"...and good to do with the famiily.

protometal: nice 8 miles...isn't it so much better to do these longer runs with a group?

melodylea: way to "get er done"!  Nice 11 miles...you are on track for a great HM!  Nice that you are going back to where you and hubby first met.  And it's always good to get a break from the kiddos!  Enjoy!

cklindsay: way to go on finishing your 7 miles.  Not all runs are good, but they all count in training.  And hope you avoid the bronchitis.

debm: hear you on that nasty four letter work...the necessary evil that just keeps getting in the way of all the fun stuff!

jmsab: let me know how you like the track workout.  Next couple of weeks, it will be getting harder according to HM plan.

coyote: are you still out there?  And how is the marathon training going?

On a long weekend with the family in CO Springs at the Broadmoor.  Played golf with son while DW took girls horse back riding on Saturday.  Golf tunred out to be a real workout as we played at elevation 7000. 

Yesterday morning, got up with DW to do her C25K, week 5, day 3 workout which is a continuous run of 20 minutes.  She was nervous but as we ran around the lake, she just kept going until her timer went off and she was done!  Very proud of her.

And then I took off for a 10-12 mile planned run headed north to a trail.  Didn't realize how hilly it would be to get there but when I did, it was gorgeous!  Not sure where to go, I just followed the sometimes double track, sometimes single track and enjoyed the sights and sounds.  Problem was that I was having so much fun that I got totally lost!  LOL!  And for the life of me could not find my way back.  So, like Forrest Gump, I just kept running until I found a city street only to realize that I was no where near where I started. 

Finally found someone to ask directions back to the hotel, and ran city streets back to finish with 1 more lap around the lake.  9 miles totals, so not as planned, but much harder than planned so it's all good.

Heading to gym to lift in a couple minutes, pack up, and then bike for an hour with family before driving home.  Great weekend all in all.  It's so much easier to go on vacation with 3 college aged kids than it was 10 years ago.  In another 10, I am sure we will have grand kids to chase around on vacation.

Take care all.  Run free, run strong, and be fearless in all that you do!

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    3,609. Aug 6, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I went out early saturday morning for another 3 mile run. It was not too cool and the humidity was creeping in. But I finished it. Finally we have a break in the hot humid weather today. yay!

DebM- I am considering doing a hm in November but I am not sure. I don't know if it would be too much or just what I would need with this marathon training. Good luck with yours.

JustRunDan- That is awesome! And congrats on the medal.

MelodyLea- Wow good job in such hot hot weather!!! Do you use a belt to hook your bottle in or a hand held one? I have one that straps on the hand and I am not liking it too much so I am thinking of investing in a belt.

Have a great day everyone!

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,610. Aug 6, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to linuscatch)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

protometal That's so cool that you have a half marathon team. I bet that keeps everyone very motivated!

NHLA Beautiful hike!

Org44 Nice to have you back. "one longer waddle per week" <~That's me too!

justrundan Hey, enjoy that medal!! You earned it. That was my experience with my first 10K (as a "middle aged" gal) I was dead last in the race and won 2nd place in my division! 

linuscatch Thanks! it sounds like a wonderful weekend with your family. Oh, don't I know what you mean by, "It's so much easier to go on vacation with 3 college aged kids than it was 10 years ago."

runningangelinvt I actually use a bottle that straps onto my hand by Aphipod. I really like it, though! I slide it up far enough on my hand that I don't feel tempted to "clutch" it in anyway. I also have a belt that I bought for hiking in Alaska which I plan to put two more bottles by Amphipod in for next week. The Amphipod bottles are low profile, kinda flat, so I'm hoping it wont be too bulky.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,611. Aug 6, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Debm - like it or not, You. Are. A. Runner!    Welcome to half-marathon training, remember there are a lot of us here with you!

JustRunDan - Great new handle!  Kudos to you for running in that Saturday weather, it was quite oppressive.  Bravo on the Age Group win!

Linus - big Congrats to Mrs Linus on her 20 min run!  I remember being so proud of myself when I conquered that workout.

Milestone Alert - My Sunday long run was 9, yes NINE miles this week!  This is a new highest-distance for me HOORAY!!   I did four short "water station" walks and tried my first during-run nutrition - a gu-type substance called "Carb-Boom" that I found at a closeout store.  The flavor was vanilla-orange so it tasted like a creamsicle, pretty good actually.  Texture was like gooey pudding.  I only took half of the packet as it was something new and I didn't want to cause intestinal distress.  I may have to pick up some actual GU to see how I like it, as that's the brand that will be given out on my half-marathon course.  Anyway, I count the whole experience as successful and I'm not in pain today so that's good.  Next weekend I'll be out of town so will miss my long run; still thinking of ways to avoid having the weekend be a complete 'wash out'...

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,612. Aug 6, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Greetings, all! Been away from teh interwebs for a while, so I just spent an hour catching up on the posts

linus - yep, you can't get rid of me that easy! Hey, got a 5k Wednesday with Colorado Masters running club, if you're in town. 10 buck entry, no shirt, no chip, just a fun run! Send me a PM, or if you still have my email, if you're interested and in town.

melody lea - eleven miles was a BIG psychological breakthrough for me. I hope you feel the same.

cklindsay - Mrs. C's coach said that at Ironman Puerto Rico last year, nearly every swimmer upchucked as soon as they hit open water.

mkayc - my condolences to you. A pretty hard week you've had.

Brooks shoes - I'm fortunate and can wear about anything. My experience with Brooks was (and I've heard it from others) a very comfortable shoe, but short life, about 300 miles. They are substantially less expensive, though, so it evens out.

I had a run collapse on me completely Sunday July 29. It was a planned 18 miler around the base of South Table Mountain, on city streets. The first half is on a steady uphill. I made it to about mile 9 in a good, 10mm pace. I took a short detour through the campus of my old high school, did a lap around the track, and then headed back on course. A couple of miles later, I decided to take another detour, because it was hillier. In retrospect, that might not have been the best decision...At about mile 14, I was done in. I walk/jogged for 2 miles, mostly walking. Slowly. It was getting hotter, and the fluid level in my bottles was shrinking. Finally, around mile 16, the terrain became mostly flat, or slightly downhill, and I could run mostly, walking when the hills got too steeply downhill. Which, according to my quads, was at a 3% grade. Made it home, weighed myself (I was down 4.5 lbs, even after figuring what I drank on the road) and vowed to do it different next time.

The next Wednesday I had some good track work,  had a good 11 mile predawn run on Friday, and was supposed to go long again yesterday but life interfered. So, 11 or so tomorrow, a 5k race Wednesday evening, junk miles Friday and back at the 18'er on Saturday!. 

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,613. Aug 6, 2012 7:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

One bad thing, and two great things to report!!

First, the bad..... I, too had no email notices from Active. But, hey. That's very minor.

Now the good.........First, my Beach To Beacon 10k was exciting and as great as everyone said it would be. This was the biggest race I've been in, with over 6,500 entrants. I lined up in the 7:30 pace area of the start, and just a few minutes before the start we were pushed around (lightly, but still moved) by people cutting and trying to get closer to the front. And while they were doing it, we could hear them talking, some of them saying,&quot;I'm not going to push it, in this heat. I just want to finish.&quot; Things like that. So why are you cutting in front of all of us, who've been standing here for 15-20 minutes?

But that was the only bad thing. There were spectators from the beginning to the end. All kinds of unique things to cheer us on. Even a guy playing bagpipes alone in front of a house. Three big-name legends in USA track - Frank Shorter, Bill Rogers, and Joan Benoit Samuelson all ran the race. The finish area was amazing, with all kinds of vendors and volunteers handing out all kinds of food/drinks.

And the best part -- I PR'd, breaking 45 minutes, which is what I was hoping for. 44:51, actually (7:14 pace), good for 14th in my age group of 252. 617th overall of 6,115 finishers. One semi-bad part, though, was a short walking section before mile 6, on a slight hill. I slowed down a little, but was still pushing a little more than I could handle. I walked about 50 yards, then ran the rest. There were so many spectators cheering us all on from the 6-mile mark to the end, though, I think I would have run that part no matter how much I was hurting.

Now the second great thing -- I ran my &quot;Kill the Hill&quot; 4-miler tonight after work, just because I was so upset about having to walk that short hill Sat. I've never run the entire route here before. It's the one with the big, 3/10 mile downhill at the two mile mark, then the turnaround and run back up the hill. I've always had to walk some of it. Not tonight. Finished in 30:26, too. Best time ever. Now, maybe the secret: I tried a GU Chocolate Outrage gel before I ran, wondering if I should try using something for my races. The flavor was great, and I think it really helped me conquer this hill run. But, either way, I did it.

Oshcat -- Maybe these are something you might like to try??

Linus -- I think my oval torture chamber workout this week is Friday, so I mayy try that workout, if I don't do my long run Fri.

Melody and RunningangelinVt .... I also use the Amphipod hand-strap bottle. I try to freeze the bottle slightly before running, or put some ice in it to keep the water as cold as possible for as long as possible. I don't drink a lot during my runs, so my 8 oz. bottle lasts me 10-12 miles most of the time.

Melody.... Nice run!!! 11 miles!! Don't wear the dog out!!

Coyote... You're getting up into NHLA's distances. Great work, even with the &quot;collapse.&quot;

JustrunDan.... New PR for you!!! Excellent. And first in your Age Group, too! You don't have to elaborate when you tell people. Just that you were first!

DebM..... You just keep up that great work, and you won't set yourself up for anything but success.

Everyone have good, fearless days!!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,614. Aug 6, 2012 9:02 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Dan The new name is much more fitting. way to get in done at your race. what's on the books for your long run this weekend. I have 21 on mine &amp; I'm traveling all week.

melodyLea 11 miles YEAh "You Go Girl"

Jmsab23 your pace is amazing. have you ever tried theHammer gels?

OshCat Those milestones always make me smile way to go

as for me. I felt like I did not do enough this week. biked for 1hr @. 12mph

Did 5 mile run @ 10:00, 4 mile run @ 9:50' 5 mile run @ 10:50. I have 21 on the books for this weekend and I'm mentally ready eleven though I'm traveling all week.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Actions

More Like This