Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

843202 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 Previous Next
  • Laura Bug Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,410. Jul 19, 2012 12:56 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Thanks!

Back on the treadmill yesterday after weeks off. Got in a 1.5 miles walk/run. Feet not mad at me. So I feel pretty good. Now I will have to build it back up to 5k before starting races again this fall.

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    4,411. Jul 23, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hey everyone!  If you're on facebook and have a spare minute can you follow the link and vote for me by "liking" my picture before 9am Monday July 30th for CARA Athlete of the Month in Chicago? 

We need some penguin representation! 

Thanks, Judith

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151280301089338&set=a.10151280300609338.560965.399386759337&type=1&theater

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    4,412. Jul 24, 2012 3:55 AM (in response to elehner)

There is a runners club for over 65. Check out their website. www.ne65plus.org

aprillilly
  • KittyKafka Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2012
    4,413. Jul 26, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to Donna914)

I've always been a slow runner. I've had arthritis since I was in my early 20s. I've been running consistently for two years, but had run off and on for decades. I started pretty slow and was timed out in my first half marathon (the Garry Bjorklund in Duluth) in 2011 because I didn't make the max 14 min mile pace. My pace currently is anywhere between 12 min miles and 10 minute miles on varied terrain and 16 minute miles to 11 minute miles on trails. I've gravitated more to trails because I love the terrain changes and the scenery. Trails are softer, too. I wear somewhat minimal shoes as well (Brooks Pure Flows and Grits). My farthest distance so far is 25K. I'm currently training for the Moose Mountain Marathon in Sept. it'll be 100% trail. I'm 48 years old, and my goal is to run a 50K next spring, then a 50 miler in 2014 when I turn 50. One thing I have discovered is that I run slow, but I run far. I log 25 + miles per week, but hope to begin running doubles soon. Oh! And I want to run Ragnar next summer! I have a friend who race walked 10 minute miles, then decided to run and ran 10 minute miles. Her goal is 8 minute miles (she's 51). I will never get that fast. That's okay. She swears she'll never go further than 25K. It's all good. :-)

• Taz8760 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 1, 2012
    4,414. Jul 26, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

love the Jeff Galloway program!  Try the Lolo apps if you have an IPOD!

• R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    4,415. Jul 26, 2012 7:06 PM (in response to Donna914)

check out this website, http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm . You may also benefit from some strength training or circuit training.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    4,416. Aug 5, 2012 6:58 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks for the pointer - I never looked logged off til you mentioned this...

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

May 24, 2008
    4,417. Aug 5, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to indigopet)

Sorry i missed this - I've been off boards for a bit - traveling, too lazy to log in, and general honey do list stuff. 

Any good races in chicago area weekend of 22 sept or 6 oct?  I may be in town both weekend.  My nephew is running Chi Marathon this year and I am hoping to provide support crew for him  (mostly yell things like run faster ginger - while eating pizza and downing a brew)...

I've been working my way back from sore knee - its mostly pain free but every once in a while I'll twist it a little too much and get nice reminder.

• collw65 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    4,418. Oct 14, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to Donna914)

Love this thread! Thank you!!  Most of all, I'm happy to have a name for myself, as I am DEFINITELY a true penguin!! I'm 47 and just ran my first official 5k last weekend.  My finish time was 46:14 so a little more than 14mm.  Out of 200-something participants, only 12 finished slower than me and most of them were walkers.  But I honestly didn't care.  As a first timer, I had no idea what to expect, and as a newbie runner, I was honestly just hoping I could finish in under an hour--so mission accomplished! My husband, despite being 6 years my senior, is retired US Army so he is no stranger at all to running and did great.  I can't keep up with him, and right now I'm not even trying.  I now have a first official time and that is the only time I am working to beat. If I can shave even a couple of seconds off with each race, I'll be happy.  Right now, I'm just so enjoying the feeling of being active.  My biggest victories to date are all the times I've gotten myself off the couch when I could have stayed put (like I did for years and years!)

More than anything, I think we should give ourselves a congratulatory pat on the back for getting out and moving at all, regardless of our speed (or lack thereof!) 

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    4,419. Oct 16, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to collw65)

collw65  -  Congrats on your 5K accomplishment!!!  I just checked in to this forum today after not being involved for a year or so and I'm disappointed that the last post before yours was in August.  I'm also a 'slow' runner, always have been for the last 25 years....and proud of it!  Being a long time runner for years I became very sporadic for the last ten years or so and the last two years rediscovered the joys of running...it's my 'zen' time and I just love it.  I'm only doing 2 to 3 mi., still recovering from neck surgery 8 mo. ago.....so it's a little slow going right now but I'm working my way back.  Again, congrats on your 5K...and for being a proud penguin.  Here's to John Bingham and how he's made us 'slow' runners feel welcome.

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• SaundraR Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012
    4,420. Oct 19, 2012 7:38 AM (in response to CathyK817)

Awesome story. I am running my first 5k tomorrow and while I haven't had nightmares, I do hope that to make it over the finish line before everyone leaves. :-) Got 2 more 5ks on my calendar before end of year. Keep up the good work. Oh yeah, I'm 64 and just started running this year.

• SaundraR Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012
    4,421. Oct 19, 2012 7:45 AM (in response to Donna914)

Love the title, Penguins. I call my run a "fast walk." But as they say in the group I run with my fast walk/run is faster than those still sitting on their counch or watching me from their window. Doing my first 5k tomorrow. Goal: to cross the finish line no matter what the time is. When I do the next 5k, my goal will be to improve on that time. Only competing against myself. Having a ball doing this. Other goal is to lose 100 pounds. Lost 20 already. Remember, the tortoise eventually won the race!!! Have fun.

• cotterk Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 16, 2012
    4,422. Oct 19, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to SaundraR)

I am a Penguin to the core!!!  I have only been running since last year and I am still very slow.  And I usually ware a white tank top and black yoga pants when I run,  and with my physique, I have often thought I look like a Penguin.   Now I know I truly am one!!   Lol. I 'm 36 and over 200 ponds.  I have oat 40 pounds so far running, so I maybe slow but at least I 'm loosing.   I 'm so glad to see this and read other people's stories.  I 've been feeling bad about being so slow and being passed by everyone on the running trail.  But seeing how many miles you all run makes me feel much better.   I jog 2 mil es a day on a flat trail and try to run 5 miles on the weekend around my very hilly neighborhood.

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    4,423. Oct 22, 2012 4:41 AM (in response to Donna914)

I'm feeling a little better about still being so slow.  I've only been at it a few months, and I really enjoy getting out there and running but I'm really slow.  My husband is also much faster than I am.  I have lost some weight, and gained some real interest in being a fit person. Running has been good to me so far

May 24, 2008
    4,424. Oct 22, 2012 5:47 PM (in response to SaundraR)

How did your race go?  I've been firmly in the penguin category since I have started running/walking/waddling.  My last race was on the 14th - George Mason University family weekend 5K.  I was quite surprised to finish in 37:04  (11:56/mile) - fastest i've been in a while considering I am walking  -- mucked up knee in march and finally took the time off to let it heal...Actually feels funny to wake up with no pain. 

I have long made peace with my speed - I enjoy walking fast - I hate running slow;   I have also been working on eating habits and working my down towards the magic 200lb line. 

I have found the vast majority of folks at races to be friendly and welcoming  -- there are always a few who think its a Boston Marathon Qualifier and somehow I am keeping them from destiny.

This group was more active a while ago - it would be nice to revive it.  I have never finished first in a race but I have always finished,

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...