Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1834 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 11:29 AM by Kinver88
StevePayne1 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2012 1:15 PM

Hydration Belt or Camel Pack?

I have now worked up my runs to 13 miles. I am in need of hydration while I run. What is everyone using? Hydration Belt or Camel Pack? I have looked at Nathan belts, they seem to be my favorite. Anyone use a camel back?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Aug 6, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to StevePayne1)

Honestly, there are all cumbersome, but I would look at Nathan, iFitness and Runlite for a variety of hydration belts.  Test out the models if possible because if the bottles bounce around, it is really distracting.  I have never tried a CamelBak, but I would consider the added weight, comfort, flexibility and so on.

Wishing you all the best and congrats on your long run schedule!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2. Aug 6, 2012 8:48 PM (in response to StevePayne1)

stevePayne1 I use both Nathan's & camel Pak . After two runs you'll forget the camel Pak is on your back. On long runs over 13 miles I use the camel Pak. sometimes I wear the Nathan's hydration belt that hold 2 10oz bottles. I also carry the insulated polar 20 oz bottle on unsupported training runs. I truly have no favorite . The hydration belt sometimes slips and requires a small adjustment. but someone's the camel Pak. both are easy to do while running.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    3. Aug 16, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to StevePayne1)
    Re: Hydration Belt or Camel Pack?

I run long with the Jansport Coltrane and two 27oz Klean Kanteens. I'm not sure why, but the bottles bounce only at the beginning of the run, when I am starting out. Then, my hips stop bobbing and I am fine. My left bottle is straight, filtered water. My right bottle is 7/8 water, the rest white grape juice and a tablespoon of sea salt.

I used the Coltrane for my first marathon training, 3 years ago, and it worked out well and is still doing so. The large pocket is great for a windbreaker (crucial in changing mountain weather) and the small net pocket is for my gels.

• hrsegirl Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    4. Sep 24, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to StevePayne1)

I have an Amphipod belt that I LOVE.  The Nathan belt I tried didn't work for me, the bottles were whacking my elbows with every stride.  My Amphipod belt is angled differently and doesn't bounce.  Good luck!

Suzy Meathrell

hrsegirl@aol.com

2010: 289 lbs.

2011: 3 5ks, PR of 24.54 (now 23.54!)

2012: 3 10ks, PR of 50.10

Gonna do a 1/2 in December 2012

2013: Wildflower Triathlon (Olympic Length)

• MTBJOSH Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    5. Sep 26, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to StevePayne1)

Hi Steve,

I have been working on a backpack designed largely for runners that is ultra-light,feels great, and most importantly keeps the bottle from bouncing while running.The concept was largely created from all the years spent training for adventureracing, marathons and Ironman and hating the freaking pack bouncing around onme all the time. After 9 months in development, we finally have it ready to bereleased and believe it's a rock solid project. Our hope is that it will changethe way runners think about carrying water with them while running since youbarely notice this pack is even there. It beats carrying a water bottle,wearing a waist pack, or a back pack by a landslide.

We're using a website called Indiegogo, a crowd funding site to createbuzz about our project. The intent with a site like this is not just to sellpacks, but to create a more broad awareness of the new technology that we arebringing to the outdoor market. We appreciate your help in purchasing a pack orby simply spreading the word to all your running, walking and hikingfriends!

http://www.indiegogo.com/hydraquiver?a=1372402&i=emal

HydraQuiver

The HydraQuiverTM is a newapproach to fast and minimalist theory in the running pack market. Tiny pack,super light, big features.

Thanks!

Josh

OrangeMud

• justamaniac Legend 202 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Oct 23, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to StevePayne1)

I've run with both a hydration belt or a camel back (to be clear, not at the same time).  My decision on which one to use truly depends on my mood. 

I like the camel back because I can get 750ml of fluid of my choice in it, there is a nice web thingy to hold a windbreaker/rain-shell, as well as a small pocket to put little goodies.  The mouth piece works great and I am able to easily sip fluid when ever needed.

But sometimes I prefer the hydration belt because I can fill individual bottles with different fluids, i.e. water in one, gatorade in another....  The belt I have also has a couple of small pockets, good for vaseline or gel packets.  As Imgellin mentioned, at first the bottles seems to be bobbling around a lot and are very annoying, but after a little bit, they seem to settle down (not sure how that all happens but it does).

I definitely did not like carrying a bottle, as one runner friend of mine does - I don't know how he can hang onto that thing for 13+ miles...  it would drive me nuts! 

If you are putting in long miles, having hydration is certainly nice to have!

Run healthy,

-b

• 64spokes Pro 60 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    7. Oct 24, 2012 10:28 AM (in response to StevePayne1)

I can't run with a camelback.  Too bouncy.  I have a FuelBelt with two bottles that works well for me.  The little pouch thing is pretty useless because the zipper gets stuck, but the bottles stay in place very well and are easy to get in/out.  When running on my own I stash a couple of 20oz bottles on a loop to refill.

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    8. Nov 13, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to StevePayne1)

I have always found that the larger camelbacks tend to be the most uncomfrotable when it comes to running long distances. I tend to stick to the smaller versions and strap them on tight to make them as comfortable as possible and then like everything it just takes a few runs to get used to them. I found that when i switched to a new pair of Asics running shoes I was concentrating so much on the new shoes that I completely forgot about the camelback problems!

Check out my running blog for some really boring running stories!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...