Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

585 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 6:45 PM by mkayc RSS
GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
Sep 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2012 6:07 PM

Starting over - after an injury

A year ago I started running, using c25.  I fell in love with running, and for seven months my progress was pretty steady.  I ran a couple of 5ks and signed up for two half marathons.  A week before the first, I developed a pelvic stress fracture.  End of running.  Because I didn't take it seriously enough, my recovery was very slow.  It took four months before I could walk without pain, but for the past month I've been walking daily.  This week I was finally able to start running again, five months after my sfx.

So now I have to figure out how to ease back into running without hurting myself.  Aside from walking and some stationary bicycling, I've done almost no exercise for the past 5 months.  I am extremely eager to get back into running shape.  Any suggestions on how to get back to where I was without overdoing it?  Have any of you had to start over, when you really didn't feel like a newbie? 

I remember how good it felt to train for my half marathon, how excited I was, how happy I felt when 8 mile runs became easy, and only the 12 mile distance was difficult. I can't wait to actually run a half. But I know it will take time to get back to that kind of condition.

When I ran this week on the treadmill, I started with five minutes walking, one minute running, then four and two, then three and three, then three and 4, then three and five.  I ran slowly - 5 mph - and it was easy.  When I did  the five minute run, I felt like I could run longer - but managed to restrain myself.  Afterwards there was a touch of tenderness, but no real pain.  Since I know I can run nonstop for at least five minutes, I don't really want to go back to the c25k.  There is a part of me that feels like I could run for three miles, if I took it slowly enough.  But I really don't want to hurt myself again.  Five months is a long time to be immobile.  I found a plan online for getting back to running after a sfx, but it seems pretty aggressive, starting at 5 minute runs and doing intervals and 55 minute runs in 7 weeks.  Has anyone had success with this kind of plan?

I thought I could just go back to running without a plan, but I know myself.  I'll overdo.  that's how I got in trouble the first time.  I thought that if only I could walk again, I wouldn't care so much about running, and that if by chance I could run again, I wouldn't worry about races for a couple of years, but I want it all.  It remains to be seen how that will work out, but I want to give myself the best chance to become the runner I think I can be.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Aug 7, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Hi Ginny. I  feel your pain, as I too experienced a stress fracture in my hip after running for a few months. After being off for 4 months, I started back. I did my own version of c25k, and ran/walked as I felt the need. After a cpl of months I was back to being able to run a 5k.  I truly believe the key to running injury free (this after having suffered w/ retrocalcaneal bursitis for a yr+, then plantar fasciitus) is to not overdo! Easier said than done.  After each of these< I was off running for a cpl of months.  For me, going too far to quickly or doing speed work too agressively, got me in trouble. Also I've found that even though I would love to run 5 days per week, my body just won't handle it, so I run everyother day, and only occasionaly will insert a 4th day that is a gentle fun run. Also, I'm a big proponet of Jeff Galloway.  Please know that I thought for a LONG time, that was cheating. But through trial an error, I've found, I can run as fast w/ the walk breaks as without them. (I do short 5K runs continuously), while decreasing the fatigue, stress, and risk of injury. I know it isn't a plan for everyone, but it gives you a great plan to follow, building mileage gradually, developing good form through cadence drills, and building speed through the acceleration drills. The weekly long run builds endurance, so you can do the half or full marathons, whatever your goal. 
    I absolutley love running and being that I'm 61 years old, hope to run until I'm 100. I believe Jeff's plan will help me achieve that goal.

Your plan of starting w/ 5 min runs and doing intervals building to 55 min in 7 wks, most likely is doable. Listen to your body, build time & distance gradually, respect your rest days, and enjoy the run. Don't worry about speed until you have your base built back.  Good luck!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• KleinFireman Expert 45 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    2. Aug 8, 2012 10:19 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

I damaged my knee in a car accident over a year ago. I am now just recovered enough to start c25k again. A year layer and 29lbs heavier, I am starting slow and doing each week twice. I know if I push myself to hard I will damage something. So, I am just doing this program until the end of the year and then hopefully move onto bridge to 10k. Just listen to your body.

God created Firemen so Cops could have heroes too.

Week 1 Done, bring on Week 2.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3. Aug 10, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Hey Ginny, nice to hear you're back!! My journey hasn't been as delayed as yours but having to fight back from three injuries, I feel I've learned something. Just had my gallbladder removed in ER surgery and a second procedure to clean out the little bits left over so I'm on my fourth fight back. I haven't been sidelined as long as you have so my approach will be a little different. Also I have a HM 9/29 that i'd really like to complete.

I echo everything Marie said. Am reading Galloway's book on Run Until Your 100 and am very impressed with the possibilities. Also, my pace is as fast as and sometimes faster when I run/walk than when I run. I'm going to try to walk trails for a couple of hours once a week to build stamina and running short distances (under 5 mi) every other day using the Galloway method with 1:1 in the beginning and listening to my body. I am not completely healed having had the first surgery 7/20 and the endoscopic procedure this Tues. and don't know what that means. My incisions are fine outside but I have no idea the nature of muscle tissue damage inside and what running can do to it. I really want to just ignore the pain and push through it but pain is there for a reason. I worry, also. Iguess the best thing is to have a plan and stick to it for a while until you find your strength and then recallibrate. 

Good luck and strong runs!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points