Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1876 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 5:34 PM by natalie_w
natalie_w Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2012 4:39 PM

Fit of new running shoes

I recently purchased some new running shoes for my first half marathon that I'm training for and I'm not sure I have the right fit, or size for that matter. After I get over 1 1/2 miles my middle toe starts to go numb and continues being numb until I'm done running. I've loosened the laces near the toes as much as I could and I have about a 1/8 inch of room above my toes, but I'm not sure if they are the wrong size or if I just need to break them in. I've only worn them twice and have only run a few miles in them each time. Any suggestions?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 7, 2012 5:09 PM (in response to natalie_w)
    Fit of new running shoes

There are a couple things that can cause that kind of problem.  Let's deal with size first.  Your toes should fit comfortably in the toe box, with some room to spread out.  Then you should have approximately a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.  Lacing too tight could contribute to your problem.  Morton's neuroma might too, but that is usually painful as well. Personally, I don't believe in "breaking in" running shoes.  They should be pretty comfortable from the first wearing.  If not, get something else.  Take a few laps around the store or on the sidewalk outside if they'll let you.  It does sound like a different size might help.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 7, 2012 5:50 PM (in response to natalie_w)
    Fit of new running shoes

Just thought of this.  Take a few steps barefoot on a hardwood or tile floor and watch how your forefoot spreads as you put weight on it.  Gives you a good idea of how much room is enough to avoid cramping.

Len

Len

• NuRunnr Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    4. Aug 7, 2012 6:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Fit of new running shoes

I've never run a half, but toe going numb is definitely not a good thing.  Try half size bigger on that foot or different model/brand.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    5. Aug 8, 2012 1:00 PM (in response to natalie_w)
    Fit of new running shoes

Hi Natalie,

I agree with the expert advice of the others and it is a good idea to rotate out shoes anyway in training to avoid placing stress on the same areas over and over again. 

Also, consider your socks and take a look at compression varieties or toe split versions that would add support while increasing circulation and comfort with the correct footwear. 

It is difficult to find the right combination, but the numbness should disappear once you experiment and put together the right pieces. 

Congrats on your first half!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...