Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1007 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 10:07 PM by crl8686
sr14051 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2012 10:02 AM

Pain in back of lower leg (achilles tendon area)

I started jogging 3 miles a day again a couple of weeks ago. I used to exercise regularly and eat better but stopped for a couple of years due to laziness and burnout. I recently started feeling some pain running down the back of my left calf from 6 inches below the knee to my ankle. There is no swelling or redness and my jogging is not hindered if I warm up slowly. I may have compensated for a sore right leg which had a bit of a pinched nerve feeling but would go away after jogging a bit. Funny thing is, my right leg feels fine now. I'm assuming that my calf muscles have contracted and need to get used to being stretched again. I may have over done it a bit with my left leg. I'm 45, slighly over weight, and I stretch lightly before jogging and do more intense stretching after jogging. I hate to skip a day or two of jogging because I've had such wonderful results with weight loss and I like the way I feel. Now sure however if I should take a break and maybe do bike riding for a  couple of days until my lower left leg feels better. It really doesn't seem that bad though, I can go up and down stairs and I don't limp, it's just a bit sore and it's been that way for about a week. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to stop because I want the muscle to remain flexible and not tighten up, but I don't want to do any damage either.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...