Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

426 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 6:28 PM by LizP1216 RSS
GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2012 3:53 AM

Get there when you can!

Have you gotten to the point where you realize that you are not going to run 5K in only 30 minutes?  Does it seem like everyone is passing you by?  Do you plan on persevering!  Did the group you joined speed past you while you repeated weeks or missed time for some other reason?  As I buzzed, um make that slogged thru week 7 while most of my group finished the program or were at least knocking on the 5K door, I realized that they were moving on and I was still working toward my goal.  It occurred to me I have never seen a thread for those of us who are near the end of or finished with the timed part of C25K, but still need to increase time or add weeks to go the distance.   So I’m hoping to round up the strugglers, stragglers, slow pokes, cow pokes… oh wait wrong genre on that last one.  What the heck come on in everyone is welcome.  Just don’t come in here telling us how you are doing an 8 minute mile and not expect to get tripped on the trail.  If you are running that fast and struggling “SLOW DOWN!”  LOL  Whew who knew I had so much built up frustration for those who were blessed to be faster than I.  Really I am happy for them, I just wish it was me.  I know that there are a lot of us out there who feel the same way.  So let’s keep each other motivated and moving.   When you compare where we were a few short weeks or even months ago, we are doing awesome!

My story:  3rd attempt at C25K.  - 1. W9 Car Accident – 2. W8 Sheep Accident – 3. W8D1 – 2.19 miles.  Not thinking adding a couple of minutes is going to add over ¾ of a mile and that distance includes my very slow warm up and cool down walks.  Struggles = Old – Overweight – Health issues.  Positives = Determined – Proud of myself - Desire to get healthy for my 4 (almost 5) year old – Enjoying this.

Anyone want to join me? 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• KrisWenzel Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    1. Aug 9, 2012 4:53 AM (in response to GeoWolf)
    Get there when you can!

My advice is to continue on, don't stress about the time, make your first goal to complete the Race.  What counts is you are working your plan, exercising, and enjoying it.  The time will comedown overtime, so if it takes an extra race or two, what's the harm? 

GoRunAgain - Experience running from the point of view of one who has rediscovered the sport. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm surely more passionate!

• LizP1216 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2012
    2. Aug 10, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to GeoWolf)
    Get there when you can!

I know exactly what you mean. I will be starting week 7 on Sunday. I am running on the treadmill so I don't know if that makes a difference. However, I find that in 30 mins I am only going about 1.75 miles. My average speed is 3.0. At that rate it will take me an hour to finish! Forget 30 mins. I would love to sign up for a race but am very worried that I will still be running and the race will be long over. I also have plantar faciitis which I am worried that I will aggravate more than it is already hurting. I am a mess

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...