Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1431 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 2:33 PM by Avatar4Stefan RSS
jriv777 Rookie 3 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2012 10:06 PM

Marathon

I am sure my question may depend on an individual's fitness level but is it possible to run 2 marathons one month apart

or does the body need more recovery time after the first marathon before attempting a second in such a short time frame?

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Aug 10, 2012 3:51 AM (in response to jriv777)
    Marathon

Yes, it is completely possible for a well conditioned athlete.  Not a good idea for a hack just trying to survive to the end of a marathon by any means possible, however.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 10, 2012 7:02 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Marathon

Yes, I did it last year.  Wineglass Oct 2 and MCM the end of the month.  Race Wineglass and ran MCM easy. Conventional  wisdom would tell you wait 6 months, but lots of people do back to back marathons!  If it's your 1st and you do not have a very good base don't do it.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 10, 2012 9:19 AM (in response to jriv777)
    Marathon

I've done it twice.  Neither time really well, but not because of doing them too close together.  Along with BOSNPM (a good ways behind him actually), I did Wineglass and Marine Corps four weeks apart in 2011.  For a variety of reasons, they didn't go well.  In 2010 I did Marine Corps, then 3 weeks later I did Philly.  I actually did better in Philly, because I ran a more careful and deliberate race.  I agree, though, that it's not a good thing to try for your first and second.  You need to get that first one under your belt and understand what you're getting into before scheduling your second.

Len

Len

• KrisWenzel Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    4. Aug 10, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to jriv777)
    Marathon

I'm 47 and have ran two marathons in the same year,  I waited six months inbetween them.

I'm not designed to do back to back marathons... 

GoRunAgain - Experience running from the point of view of one who has rediscovered the sport. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm surely more passionate!

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    6. Aug 11, 2012 8:53 PM (in response to jriv777)
    Marathon

The big thing will  be to watch your recovery time after your marathon this year. If you can comfortably run a good long run (20+) a month after and keep close to goal pace then go for it. If you feel like you still need more time to recover then you might want to wait a bit longer.

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    8. Aug 22, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to jriv777)
    Marathon

I would guess that you are asking the wrong question.

Can you run 2 marathons in a month? Yes. You can run two marathons in a weekend. And no, I am not talking about me, or a hypothetical well trained runner, I am talking about you.If you can run a marathon in 5 hours, it would be very reasonable to assume you can run 2 on consecutive days running them in maybe 6 - 6,5 hours each. So, running them a month apart, maybe 5:30 for both of them, shouldn't be a problem. Please note that BOTH marathons have to be run in a signifficantly slower fashion than your current capability.

Coming back to my initial statement: Is this really what you want to do? Or is your question rather: Can I have two great marathon performances within 4 weeks? In which case - and I hope you don't mind me being frank - , taking into account your lack of experience and not stellar finish time, I would say: No. That is probably not a good idea.

Best,

Stefan

... who will run Frankfurt marathon on 10/28, Dublin on 10/29 and NYC on 11/4 ;-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...