Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

851 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 11:49 AM by wisenhimer RSS
disneygirl125 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2012 4:11 PM

how do I choose a first 5k?

I've been doing couch25k and am on week 4. I would like to sign up for a 5k now, so when i'm done couch25k in a few weeks I have that to look forward to. I don't know anyone that runs, so I have no one to ask for an opinion other then here..lol. I really would like a fairly easy one on pavement, not too hilly. And i'm super slow, so I don't want to be in one where everyone is super fast and I come in well after everyone else..lol. Although I just want to complete the 5k at this point and work on getting faster after. How do I find one where there are others at my level? I'm in Chester County, PA if that helps. I have been looking online, but other then the race and date, I haven't found much info on any of the 5k's.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Aug 13, 2012 10:17 PM (in response to disneygirl125)

Most races will have their own website where you can find a lot of useful details about the race. Often the website link is provided in race directories. If it isn't, you can Google the name of the race to find its website.

Often the website will include a map of the course and sometimes even an elevation vs. distance chart. Also the race results from the previous year (and often additional past years) are usually linked to the website. Check out the published finishing times and see where your typical finish time would place you.

Also consider the overall size of the race. Very small races often have particularly fast fields. Medium to large races (1000 runners or more) tend to include more slow runners and walkers.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• KrisWenzel Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    2. Aug 14, 2012 4:44 AM (in response to disneygirl125)

Hi,

I like using the site http://www.runningintheusa.com/race/Default.aspx to find races.  Pick a race close to where  you live.  As crl8686 mentioned, most races have websites with the maps.  Once you see the map you can drive the course to see if you like it.

GoRunAgain - Experience running from the point of view of one who has rediscovered the sport. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm surely more passionate!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Aug 14, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to disneygirl125)

If the West Chester Running Company is in your area, it would be a good idea to connect with them to see which events they are recommending or involved with.  Your local running club is a wonderful resource and a good opportunity to connect with other runners and develop a support system for your ongoing progress.  These clubs are usually open, friendly and encouraging environments, so I would urge you to contact them and become involved. 

Wishing you all the best

• wisenhimer Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    4. Aug 15, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to disneygirl125)

Hi, Go to the race website of Active.com to view race results from last year so you can see the times of people in your age group.  Since this is your first race you should simply think about crossing the finish line knowing you race the entire way.  Congratulations on your success so far!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...