Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1437 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 8:32 PM by NHLA
PkPanther34 Amateur 86 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2012 2:04 PM

Running in humidity

I used to run frequently, but a relocation and new job have eaten up most of my free time for the past year.  I used to live in Texas and I suppose I adapted to running in the summer heat; however, I now live in Central Florida and the humidity is considerably higher here.

Does anybody have any tips for adjusting to running in the humidity?  Even in the morning when the temperature is 75ish, the relative humidity is around 95%. 

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    1. Aug 13, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to PkPanther34)
    Running in humidity

My only advice is to try and get your workouts in as early as you can.  I deal with a similar issue in St Louis from time to time.  Make sure you are properly hydrated and scale back your intensity a bit if you feel the humidity getting to you.  Though, during our recent heat wave I retreated to my treadmill in the basement because it was just too hot outside.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Aug 13, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to PkPanther34)
    Running in humidity

I've never found a good way around this, except, like temperature, your body tends to adjust over time. Also, it seems that RH is highest when temp is lowest.  That seems to make sense - higher temp, less dense air, same amount of moisture, lower RH.

Len

Len

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    3. Aug 13, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to PkPanther34)
    Running in humidity

Hi PkPanther34,

I have been battling the summer heat and humidity here in South Florida too.  My strategy is to run early before the sun comes up, keep it slow, and keep it short.  I am just trying to keep my base ability there during the summer so that when the "cooler" weather comes in October, I don't have to start from scratch.

Learn to recognize the signs of heat sickness.....lightheaded feeling, nausea and chills, sudden stopping of sweat.  Been there done that...I grew up in Florida!

I would rather battle the heat than go to the "dreadmill".  Can't stand it!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Aug 13, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to PkPanther34)
    Running in humidity

Great advice from the others...and the bright side is that you will be better prepared for the fall season.  Running in the heat/humidity really does benefit overall endurance, but that it probably another reason why it also produces additional challenges. 

Try one of the running bandanas/headbans designed to reduce core body temp.  Those can make a difference along with increasing hydration (add pure lemon juice to water).  Also, it is important to increase Vitamin C levels along with electrolyte supplements that include sodium, potassium and magnesium.  The combination should get you through. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    5. Aug 13, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Running in humidity

pKPanther34. I live & train in South Fl. I have found that being properly fueled and running as early as possible is the only way around this brutal summer we are having. I did 22 miles Sunday morning. that was my longest run to date. I started running at 3:45 to get a jump on the heat and humidity. staying properly Hydrated and adding electrolytes makes all the difference in the world. It your body is not recently use to our type of humidity. I suggest you start out running short distances 60 to 90 seconds slower than your normal training pace. short walk breaks will also help. iuse several products by Hammer nutrition that have helped me. I suggest you check out their website among others that have plenty of good reading on running in high heat and humidity.

THE GOOD NEWs IS when you run in "normal" temperature you'll find your endurance and times are usually much better than you anticipated.

I'm a slower runner. My half marathon race pace is around 9:45. Training for my first Marathon in October my current training pace on long runs varies between 12:00 - 13:00 minutes depending on our current temperature and humidity. it's more about covering the distance this time of the year.

I also use the dread ill to do some of my speed work.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    7. Aug 19, 2012 8:32 PM (in response to PkPanther34)
    Running in humidity

In the spring I run during the hottest time of the day till it gets over 85 then I start running early.

Another trick when it gets over 95 run one mile fast-  5k race pace- then stop rest three min. and start running normal speed.

Run 3-4 miles at 10k race pace. Don't run slow all summer.

Run out and backs. Its easer to finish fast if you are going towards the barn.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...