Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12020 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 9:26 AM by KFish33 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • ccsick Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 5, 2012 10:26 PM (in response to 1to1)
    Re: C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? Wk5 Day3

2. How do you feel? I feel great, like I have won! I am doing this and it feels great. I have always convinced myself I was too fat to be athletic.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No, I am determined to do this. I did have to quit and take a 5 day break. My left knee started to hurt. I talked to some runners at work. they told me to get a sleeve, ice my knee, ibuprofen, rest, and wait until the pain went away. I did all this, then ran agian, it hurt, so I discovered I was not stretching even a little. One girl showed me how to stretch. I do that now before I run. She suggested if it hurts during a run to stop, stretch and then continue. This is what I do now. I stop the C25K program, put it on pause, stretch, then start running again. Right knee started to hurt, so I got a sleeve for it right away, and invested in really good running shoes when my left knee hurt. All of this has kept me successful or I would have had an injury. Talk to people that run, they are willing to help. All runners have told me that pain is also from doing too much. I am told to slow down the run if I feel twinges of pain. I have done this for shin pain. It helps so much. 

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No........when I run I tell myself if that 60 year old at work can run 13 miles on Sundays and 4 miles 3 other days a week, I can hang in there until I am done...........psych myself out.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself. Yes, when I started I was 30# heavier, my clothes have all had to be replaced, I have much more energy, I think more clearly. I am positive, happy, and my appetite has decreased. I am more discerning about what I eat. I make healthier choices because I think about how the food will fuel my body for the next run. lf yet?

• Grumpys wife Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012
    16. Aug 7, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to ccsick)
    C25K - August, 2012

W2D1 Went pretty good, did all my jogs. The young girls are still ahead of me but I told them I was slower just so I could keep an eye on them to make sure they were running, lol.  I think we need to work on our brisk walk, I think we are walking slower than we should be. My new shoes felt good. Looking ahead to week 3, oh my, that might be a week we have to repeat. It was cooler yesterday since it had rained, yay !!!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    18. Aug 7, 2012 5:27 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

Great work, everyone!!!  Congratulations for sticking with it and thanks for sharing the motivating news on your changes!

I took a Zumba class for the first time yesterday evening, and week 5 has been truly p*ssing me off, so I am taking an additional recover day and will do a fourth day of week 5, tomorrow.  I bet this is where my own weeks in the plan will become a bit elastic   but the idea is to feel comfortable with a particular week's intervals before moving on safely to the next.  I'm in this for the long haul, so I want to spend as long as it takes on the five-minute run intervals, before I take on the week 6 whatever that is (haven't honestly looked at the whole schedule in some time now, I like to be surprised!

We had a bit of a tornado scare this evening but it seems it missed our area.  I think some of the hottest summer days may be behind us now though.  Well, I hope so, anyway!

Keep on logging those miles!  And don't forget to breathe!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• macca14 Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    19. Aug 7, 2012 10:46 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? Just finished W4 Day3

2. How do you feel? Great, it was hard today my energy levels were low and I felt like I was running into the wind the whole way but I made it and am happy I completed it.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I am less willing to give up now that I am this far through the routine without stopping, I want to keep it going through to the end. I didn;t have the same level of commitment previously, this seems to be coming the fitter I get.

• txbbker Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    20. Aug 8, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? W4D1

2. How do you feel? Pretty good. I've had to slow way down due to some Achilles pain. I don't want it to become an issue.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? I repeated W3.

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I've hit a plateua with weight loss. Stuck at -10lbs. Ready for the scale to start moving again.

• Elsielux Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    21. Aug 8, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? Just completed W1D3

2. How do you feel?  Today, I feel great.  Day 2 was rough - incredibly humid, like running/walking through treacle.  Today it was cooler, we were out earlier, and it felt wonderful!

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?  As a bit of an exercisephobe,  I'm kind of surprised how much I'm enjoying this!  I quit smoking a month ago and I'm very conscious that it's my lungs that are slowing me up - but maybe that's a good thing, as otherwise I'd be tempted to do too much too soon. 

I'm doing the program with a friend, and we are lucky enough to live next to a forest, which makes it much more tempting to get up early in the morning and go. My plan at the moment is to run every second day for the next month if I can, to take advantage of these early morning runs which will not be possible once I'm back at work.  However, if running every two days feels as though it's too much, I'll cut back.

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    23. Aug 8, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on?  W2D1

2. How do you feel? I feel FABULOUS.  I am so happy to have stuck with it, even if it's only for a week.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?  Not yet.  Hopefully I won't have to, I might have to slow down, but I've at least finished. 

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?  I slow myself down when I start getting tired and feeling like I need to shorten my time.  I just run a little slower, and get through the time.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?  I feel fantastic when I finish.  I also notice how the running is almost like meditation.  I can't believe I forgot how great it feels to run. 

• theslickmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 6, 2012
    24. Aug 13, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to DogCrazy1966)
    C25K - August, 2012

Hi All!  I haven't updated in a while.  I just did W5D2. So happy I was able to do 2 - 8 minute jogs.  I took time off due to vacation and then being sick.  I"m nervous for the 20 min jog.  I'll try it on Wednesday. 

• RunwithChocolate Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 29, 2012
    26. Aug 13, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on?

Week 7 Day 1

2. How do you feel?

Pretty good. Exhausted but good.

3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?

Yes, but only inbetween the 3 days of scheduled and set C25k days

4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?

I add time. I do the program in one direction and then walk or walk/jog the way back to either my car or my house

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?

I have become more disciplined and actually get bummed out when I miss a day whether it was scheduled or not.

• macca14 Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    27. Aug 14, 2012 5:01 PM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D3

2. How do you feel? I feel great. I had so worked myself up about running 22 minutes straight but all for nothing. I did it very easily today, the planets aligned I think. The sun was shining, there wasn;t a breath of wind, just a beautiful morning to be out running. I took it slightly slower at the start but after about 5 minutes I was feeling so good I increased my speed to faster than my normal pace (which isn;t fast by most standards probably) and was able to maintain this through the hilly course.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Definitely have that no quit attitude now, I have come this far I am now changing my goal from the C25K to completing the 10k version. I am really enjoying running for the first time in my life.

• katrinas626 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 15, 2012
    29. Aug 15, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to 1to1)
    C25K - August, 2012

1. What Week/Day are you on? Week 1/ Day 2

2. How do you feel?I feel much better than I expected. Many people have told me I would be really sore but so far I'm good.

5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I feel really good, anxious to get to the next day of training because of how proud I am of myself for doing this. I didn't feel like I was going to die like other times I have tried running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links