Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1246 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 4:55 PM by macca14
Trying2change Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2012 5:01 AM

Discouraged

Hello, I have just started this program & am finding it really tough. I am arriving at 50 soon & about 70 lbs overweight. I do strength training but realized I needed to kick it up a lot. For years I have convinced myself I cannot run, so this program is way out of my comfort zone. I have yet to finish the required jogging times in week one.  Should I just keep repeating week one until I can actually do it? And how do you motivate yourself? I feel like I have lost so much (competitive high school/ college swimmer) and soooo out of shape, why bother?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 14, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

"...and soooo out of shape, why bother?"  The first part explains the second, doesn't it?  It may be that running isn't for you, but if you want to get in shape, you have to DO something.  I would repeat week 1 until it's done, then start on week 2.  No shame in repeating weeks.

Len

Len

• Haselsmasher Legend 519 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Aug 14, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

Sorry it's discouraging, but I think all find it discouraging to a certain degree.  The really really good news, IMHO, is that a program like this helps people keep focus on the longer term (hopefully) and while there are discouraging days, I'm confident that when you keep at it you'll have days that are the exact opposite:  You'll be out there and you'll be floating and you'll be convinced you could run to the moon.  I think that is the essence of one of the most basic things that running has taught me:  There are good days and bad days.  And even on the worst of days - I can still say I went out and exercised.  And on the good days - it's indescribable.

If the goal of doing this is a long term change, then who cares if it takes (for example) twice as long to complete?  Completing C25K in 18 wks instead of 9?  Big deal.  :-)  The point is to get out and move.

I highly encourage you to keep chipping away at it.  Chop up that schedule to better suit your needs if that helps.

Best of luck.  After multiple starts and stops due to injuries, I can absolutely attest to the fact that getting into shape is harder than staying in shape - and that you will have days where you will amaze yourself with what you've accomplished and how you feel.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3. Aug 14, 2012 7:52 AM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

What is your motivation to change or why are you doing this?  Is it something you decided to do for yourself, or is it something you doctor recommended you do?  The reason I ask is I have found that if one is faced with a difficult task and they want to do it, they will find a way.  If someone else wants them to do it they are prone to failing.  If you truly want to do it, you will find a way.  That all being said, maybe running isn't your thing.  You say you used to swim, why not start there.  The impact on your body is much less, and running with 50lbs of extra weight is going to cause a lot of impact on your body which could discourage you as well.  If not swimming what about something like a bike or ecliptical machine?  Getting over that first hump is the hardest, but after that you will begin to feel better and look better.  Best of luck to you!  

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Aug 14, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

Convince yourself that you can run.  It is amazing how much mental power influences our bodies.  It may be a difficult journey, but you will see and feel the progress.  It is also fine to advance at your own pace and develop a revised training schedule along the way because we are all different and adjustments are very personal. 

When I first started, I could jog only about 400 meters and I typically stopped there because I thought that was all I could possibly complete, so I spent too much time in that mode of failing to try any longer distances.  Again, think of the possibilities instead of the limitations.  That is important to move forward and avoid a negative focus.  I promise that your body will respond to higher expectations from your mind. 

Keep the faith and move on to week 2..the doubts will fade and turn into new visions. 

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    5. Aug 14, 2012 1:04 PM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

If you really are completely out of shape, you might do better to start with a walking program.  Go out and walk for 30 minutes.  Just go as far as you can in that time.  Do it as often as you can, at least three days a week, but preferably more.  When you can walk for 30 minutes comfortably, start walking with a distance in mind.  Walk two miles, then three miles.  As it becomes easier (and it will), began walking a bit faster.  When you can walk for three miles comfortably, come back and start the program over.  I think you'll be amazed at how much easier it is. 

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    6. Aug 14, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

Just keep at it.  Time is irrelevant when you consider that you are actually out exercising.  I personally found that I liked the push that C25k gave me, otherwise I am sure I would never have gotten to where I am now, running 3 miles without stopping.  I have a long way more to go in terms of speed and distance, but I would've never gotten this far if it wasn't for making the decision to get my butt out there and do it.  Did you actually do all three days of W1, or are you midweek?  Either way, just keep at it and you'll notice improvements!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• macca14 Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    7. Aug 14, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to Trying2change)
    Discouraged

As stated, just keep at it, repeat weeks and workouts when you need to until you complete the required time/distance. Don;t try and run to fast in the beginning, just above a walk to elevate the heart rate is fine. Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points