Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

732293 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,660. Aug 13, 2012 7:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

5.5 miles 44 min. on Ecco Mt. Nice day.

OC: great long run. I run thru town on long runs in the summer to re-hydrate.

nrdgirl: way to go.

linus: sounds like a great time.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,661. Aug 13, 2012 8:56 AM (in response to NHLA)

This morning's run was a nice 7.43 mile run that I did in 1:06.  Felt better than normal but I attribute that to missing my long run this weekend.  I need to push it the next couple weeks if I'm going to be ready for my half in October. 

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,662. Aug 13, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran 5.1 at 8:48 pretty comfortably in my Brooks.  Going to continue to rotate them once a week with my Asics.  I'll get 100 miles on them and see how they feel.

I have to start hitting the trails and hills harder.  I have a very challenging run coming up in October at a local winter ski area. 

http://www.wausaurotary.org/pdfs/2012%201st%20brochure%20FINAL.pdf

To date, that's the only race that I've entered that I couldn't run the whole way.....hoping to change that this year.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,663. Aug 13, 2012 11:03 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I wanted to see how far I could go in 2 hours & 24 minutes.  Almost 13 miles.  Ice bags & a cold tub treatment for the knees.  I don't need to know how I'm going to feel tomorrow.  I've planned to make a recovery swim, and basically beat up the upper half of my body with crunches & weights :-)

Why 2 hours and 24 minutes?  That's the time I predicted it would take to finish the Chicago Half Marathon.

I'll try another long run on Wednesday.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    3,664. Aug 13, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wow! I have a lot of reading and catching up to do!

On the positive side, I finished my HM training program on Saturday with a 13.1 mile run. I finished in 2:24:58. Eerily similar to degregorius....my knees have had ice on them almost continuously since I finished the run. 

My HM isn't until October 14th and I am still shooting for a 2:30:00 time for that race - primarily because it's about 95% uphill. At least I have several more weeks to keep training and see if I can't knock that time down some more. I hit 11.5 miles on my run and think I have a good understanding of what 'hitting the wall' means now. I also now know that you should NEVER stop to stretch during a run, lest your legs continue turning to jelly and you fall on your face!

I think I need to investigate nutrition a little better too. I'm sure that was part of it. I had 2 Gu gels at 9 miles and 1 more at 11.5. At least I only had to walk about 30-45 seconds during the entire run. Was very pleased with that!

Hope everyone has been healthy and running well!!

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,665. Aug 13, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ouch. Sunday hurt. My legs (right knee and both quads and left calf) were sore from Sat.'s 11+ miles. I walked 1/2 mile on the TM Sunday night and rode the bike for 10 minutes. Tonight I did an easy 3-miler with gentle hills in 23:40. Tomorrow I hopefully will be able to make the Tuesday night running group workout and get back into it.

Question:  I haven't used gels/beans very much, and was just wondering if anyone has experienced any type of crash or tiring during a run if they don't refuel with some sort of gel/whatever during their run. I tried the GU Chocolate Outrage gel (pudding) before my run Sat. and then didn't have anything else except water during the run. I don't know if that makes any difference. I'm just curious, if anyone wants to comment. Thanks.

Coyote..... Sounds like you had a nice weekend. Good for you, Mrs. Coyote, and your friends. I spoke to our frind about Caleb's progress, and he said he knows Caleb has started his treatments, and he has lost some hair. His spirits were still good, though. Our friend will get an update from his daughter and get back to me soon.

MkayC..... Your will and determination are at the top of the charts. Don't forget to listen to your body, though.

Melody...... 11 miles, 11 miles, 11 strong miles....... WOW!!!! You go, girl. I hope you didn't take your shirt off in your driveway to wring it out, like I did.

Jdcarnes and Degregorious...... Both of you are sounding VERY READY!!!!

Nrdgirl.... I hate moving, and I haven't moved in 15 years!!!! Glad to see your training didn't suffer. Youre' sounding great.

To put ourseleves and the Olympic runners in perspective, the winning 5k time was under 14 minutes!!!         As for us, we may not be going fast, but at least we're going forward.

Keep moving forward, all!!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,666. Aug 13, 2012 7:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Mary Kay- after the gall bladder is removed the digestion is often different, even when you've recovered from everything else.  You'll have to experiment and see what works best, but there may be a "new normal" for you with regard to diet.  FWIW, I'd suggest using your HR monitor and going strictly by your heart rate when training, probably trying to keep it under 115 or so.  I know that will sound awful, but I believe it will pay off in the long run.  It's not like you're just getting over a bad cold. 

I am using my monitor to regulate my runs, to keep HR down (now that I got it to work; reading ALL the instructions helps!).  I did the 18 miler Saturday in forever, but average heart rate was in the goal range for my age, about 112-123.  I did a lot of walking along with the running, but it worked, and today I feel no pain or stiffness.  Plan a lighter week and may try a 13.1 self race/run to see what kind of pace I can work with. Or not, we will see. 

You are all doing great work, keep it up!  Run safe and strong.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3,667. Aug 14, 2012 5:31 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

"Messages throttled..." seems to happen when you try to post the same message a couple times in a row.  (Happened to me yesterday.)  "Restricted content found" I'm not sure about.

Len

Len

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,668. Aug 14, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

coyote: been having the same problems, but only intermittenly.  Not sure the reason.

justrundan:  good luck with the "pace run" this weekend.  Should give you a good idea of the pace to target for the HM but you will still go faster in the race due to adrenalin, the crowd, etc.

jmsab:  I religiously take gels at 45-60minutes into a long run, and then every 45 minutes thereafter, always with water.  This frequency seems to keep my energy at a constant level.  Without the gels, I start to crash about 75 minutes into a run.  Thanks for the update on Caleb.  We will keep him and his family in our prayers.

jdcarnes and degregorious:  great job on the long run!  Sounds like you are both ready for the big day already!

snerb: glad to hear you are settling into the new shoes.

josh:  don't "push" too hard to get ready for race.  Stick with plan, even if you miss a long run or workout once in a while.  in the grand scheme of things one workout does not make that big a difference, the conditioning you have built up over time will carry you through the race.  And you will have a good one given the pace you are already training at.

NHLA:  hoep the weather is better out your way these days.  When is your big race?

I absolutely killed my track workout this morning.  It was nice and cool, about 50 degrees with some humidity and I actually wore my gloves for the first half of the workout.  1 mile warmup, 2 x 1 mile repeats at 8:22 (45 sceonds faster than predicted race pace) with 800m recoveries, followed by 6x200 repeats at 7:00 pace and 200m recoveries, then 1 mile cool down.  Off to TX now to slog through the heat and humidity tomorrow morning.  Then back to home track again on Thursday for some more "torture".

Have a great running week and stay fearless!!!

Feb 23, 2012
    3,669. Aug 14, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 57 min. Summersby rd is so steep you start trying to make deals with God if you can just get to the top.

Snerb: Hope you eat at Carmey's at the bottom of rib mt.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,670. Aug 14, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Not the strongest 2.5 mile run this morning. I might have been still fatigued from Sunday's 11 mile run. "Got 'er done", though, so it's all good.

Debm2011 Thanks. Tell me about the fuel belt. I just bought an Amphipod belt because I really like my Amphipod hand held so much. I can use this belt in races too.

NHLA Thanks. "you start trying to make deals with God if you can just get to the top." <~ Funny!

bsrankin Welcome. Nice run.

Old Coyote Wow, what an outstanding 18 mile run! Great job.

NRDgirl Enjoy getting settled in to the new digs. Congrats on the awesome 17 mile run!

linuscatch Thanks. This weeks runs sound great and enjoy the first week as "empty nesters". Will be thinking of Avery's parents.

JoshSlade0 Nice job and good luck on the half training.

Snerb I'm glad the shoes are feeling better. I know you can kick tail on that October race.

degregorius Nice!

jdcarnes Nice work on the 13 mile run! Sounds like you will be well prepared for Oct.

jmsab23 Thanks. (funny about the shirt..no didn't take mine off to wring it out in the front yard) I'm not the expert here for sure, but I'm loving my Hammer Gels. I followed linuscatch's advice and have a gel every 45 minutes or so (for my long runs). Plus, I now like to bring Hammer Heed on most every run.

linuscatch 50 degrees??? That sounds heavenly!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,671. Aug 14, 2012 7:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Yay!! I made it to the Tuesday Night Running Club workout tonight. Just enough time to do a 1/4 mile warmup, but he leads us through 1/2 hr. of stretches and form running exercises, anyway, so I was good to go when we hit the workout itself. 3 sets of 2 x 800, with 200 jog recovery after 800 and full recovery after each set. Running at 5k pace or better (3:20 800s), but saving some for the final 800, which I and two others I was working with did in 3:18, which means we didn't save too much. Then we did 6 sets of stairs (two flights each), then 6 downhill striders of 100 yards. Then I felt so good I did a mile cooldown with one of the guys.

I asked the running coach about the gels and beans, etc., and he said it sounded more like lack of hydration than energy fuel. So I'm going to try a second gel during my next long run to see if that helps. And I'm going to look into a fuel belt. Linus and Melody - thanks for the input.

NHLA..... There are days I make deals with God to just get me up and going to begin with!!!!

Coyote.... I've had a couple weird things happen and have had trouble logging in a couple times. I still do not get email notifications. Last night when I was almost done my post it just disappeared and I had to start over.  Ugghhhhh.

Linus.... I really like your attitude. And your descriptions make your workouts seem so much easier for you. Great work.

JustrunDan.... Whoever invented instructions, anyway? My mp3 player I got a few years ago didn't even have any. You have to go online to the web site and enter your model to get the e-structions. Yeah, really right. Like I'm going to do that!!!

Run for it!!! Everyone have good days.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,672. Aug 15, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to jmsab23)

This morning I was stuck on the treadmill even though it was beautiful outside due to the wife heading off to cross fit before I would have returned from my run.  So I did something different, a bit of a hill work out.  I ran for a minute at a 4 incline, then 2 minutes at no incline after a 3 minute warm up.  This led to 4 miles in 35:32.  I had planned to do 5 miles, but I just didn't have anything left after 4.  Guess we will see what Friday brings?

Everyone else, keep up the great work and keep running! 

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,673. Aug 15, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I'll echo others, random posting problems and no email updates.

Lots of motivation from everyone.  The weather is starting to change in Central Wisconsin and I even started seeing some trees change color on our ride to Three Lakes last Sunday.  Side note: For any of you wine drinkers, Three Lakes Winery's Black Cab (blackberry wine blended with cabernet) is excellent.

Ran 6.5 at a 9:00 pace.  Felt really good throughout my route.  The 300' climb over the last 1/2 mile isn't easy.  Every time I run that route I always think that I won't have enough to make it to the top, yet somehow I do.  I've never had to walk it.  Very motivating when I hit the end of that route.

NHLA - I haven't eaten there is many years.  It's pretty rare that I'll go out for supper.  If memory serves, their food was excellent.  An Italian restaurant isn't really a popular choice for us low/slow carb dieters.

JustrunDan - We have a saying around here, 'when all else fails, go in the garbage and get the instructions'.

Cheers All!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Feb 23, 2012
    3,674. Aug 15, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.5 miles 56 min. Stiff and slow for the first two miles. 30 min. out & 26 min back. Just a couple of weeks till Relay. Need to start backing off soon.

Neighbor called me a Camel because I never drink water unless I am running over 10 miles. I've been called a goat,mule, and a Camel but mom still calls me a jacka---. Not sure what my spirit animal is but they all seem similar.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...