Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

297363 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 Previous Next
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    315. Jul 31, 2012 7:13 AM (in response to Rennmaus)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Britta - sounds like you might be embarking on training for a tri. or duathlon. That would be exciting! Love that you're enjoying your bike so much!! Spent a summer in LA and temps were really high, even on the beach so good for you!

Many commented on my race schedule. Thought it was looking good and was excited about it myself but, as luck would have it, life interfered. Two weeks ago I checked myself into a local hospital for gall bladder removal. During the surgery my Mother died. It sounds more tragic than it was; Mom was in hospice for four weeks before passing and we had a chance to say our goodbyes and I had pain for a week before surgery that led to the decision but it all happened very fast. I had to stop running/exercising for two weeks and I am starting the recovery journey. If it were just a matter of running, it would be easier but I can't eat protein, dairy, or fat. The only thing I've found that doesn't cause pain is potatoes and Hammer gel. When I say pain, I mean distracting full torso bend over to breathe pain so I am NOT eating the wrong foods. This is my first week back and am holding at really short runs so far. I am really worried about my first HM, a trail run Sept 29th. Worried about the LSRs and looking for all suggestions.

Happy runs, all !!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    316. Aug 1, 2012 6:15 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hi everybody.

Mary Kay - saddened to hear about your mother's passing and gallbladder surgery.  You are one tough lady. Here you are a few weeks out of surgery and already out running.  I really admire your tenacity and persistence.  Wishing you well in your training.

Right now, my mindset is not 100% into training either for my HM and Tri events.  Discovered that my significant other got another girl pregnant.  Obviously, I was the last person who knew about it.  So I had to move out.  He was my training partner so when I tried to do my running workout, I just felt so miserable to the point I had to stop because I was having difficulty breathing.   Working out was one of our activities that we enjoy doing together.  Running routes can bring back memories.  I need to travel 30 minutes farther just to swim in another pool to avoid him.  Right now, I have zero motivation to train.  Btw, we both registered for the HM & Tri, so I do not know what will happen when I see him again.  I am trying my best to keep my composure and not suddenly cry.  Really hate feeling this way.  Maybe I can better handle a stress fracture in my ankle than a broken heart.

Anyways, sorry for a non-related running post.  Just needed to vent this out.

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    317. Aug 1, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to pennymt)

When it rains it pours.  Mary and Penny, I wish I could do more than just type a few words and hope they'll help to cheer you up and inspire you to move on.  You have friends here and we're behind you 100%.  Vent all you need to, we're here to help you through it like friends should.

For my part the triathlon went pretty well.  The swim was harder than expected because the air was thin enough I had to switch to single side breathing to keep going which made me dizzy so I had to hang on to one of the support kayaks to let it clear some.  The bike went very well and I made it through faster than I'd expected averaging 21 mph.  As usual I didn't hold enough in reserve for a good run so I just cruised and had nice talks with the aid station crews while getting a drink.  In the end, I haven't even checked to see what my overall time was, I just know I enjoyed racing at 9000 feet alitude in a sceninc alpine setting with a few friends who did the race too.  I don't understand what's going on with my ankle though.  It was all sore then I do that big race and it didn't complain during all that stress and hasn't shown any problems since then either.  I won't complain, I'd like to just know what's happening.

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    318. Aug 1, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, what you are living is horrid hard!!!. I am so sorry! You need to show him and yourself that your life will go on, you will be strong and you will be happy again. The best way to do that would be to get back out there on different routes with different music. Forget the races for now. You may or may not want to do them later but you just need to take care of yourself for the moment. Deal with it like a physical injury. After you take an initial break get back out there asap with shorter runs. When a wave of saddness hits you, focus on it, breathe into it and recognize that it hurts but it will pass ... or it will kill you (NOT), but it will not stop you. One hour at a time eventually becomes one day at a time and then it gets better. Or, and I hate saying this, try something new? I took up running to get over my last bf and was scheduled instead to learn to ride motorcycles. Good luck!!

Andy, glad you enjoyed your tri!!! Altitude knocks me out. A little dizzy is amazing considering.

94 degrees, 3.5 mi. in 42 min. and it didn't feel all that hard. I'm coming baaackk.

Run fearless! 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• MountainRunner48 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 20, 2012
    319. Aug 14, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Thanks for asking, Britta! My hip is getting better, but still is sore, especially after long runs. But, with ice and a little ibuprofen it is manageable. I definitely have to warm up well and warm down well. I found these stretches are helpful... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanS74B4jpM&feature=relmfu I am adding strenghth training, yoga, and pilates streching to my routine. That seems to have helped, but it's still a work in progress. I am determined not to let it afftect my goals.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! It has been a busy summer. We took a three week road trip with the kids to several National Parks. Running through campgrounds in Colorado, Wyoming, and Nevada was great inspriration. We have such an amazingly beautiful country and there were many great trails. I ran the trail to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. That was one run I will use in my positive mental motivation during long runs. It felt so empowering!

I also completed my first 10k last Saturday at Run Through The Pines in the San Bernardino Mountains. I was very happy with my time. 58:16. I was 4th in my age group. Not bad for my 1st 10k.  It was already hot, they didn't start until 8:30am. I plan of working from that time and improving my pace.

Now, on to training for the Long Beach Half Marathon in October. 53 days and counting My goal is to finish around 2 hours.

Happy Running!

Happy Running!

Mountain Runner

Run Through Redlands 5K, 28:15, 8th place age group 4/22/12

Run Through the Pines 10K, 58:16, 4th place age group 8/11/12

Long Beach International Half Marathon October 2012

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012

I just decided yesterday to plan a half marathon for the end of April next year! I am a little nervous since I completed 2 5k's this past spring and only have 1 other 5k schedule for this fall.  (I'm looking for a 10k to do this fall.)

I am working through HH's plans and taking things easy.  I've got 8 months to train so I'm hoping by then I'll be ready!! I'm super excited to take on this challenge!!!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

Jun 8, 2011

MountainRunner and Chell, you will do fine with your HM training and runs! I started from nothing May 2011 and ran two HMs in May this year with six months training using HH and doing it alone and three breaks for injuries. You have plenty of time, just stick to whatever plan you're using and you'll kill it.

Mary Kay

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    322. Oct 10, 2012 9:53 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi Mary Kay,

I meant to reply to your post right away and then it never happened... so sorry and sad that your mother died :-( and that you had to undergo surgery. How are you doing? did you run the trail HM in September? I hope all is well with you and all the others in our group here...seems like everybody is very busy and hardly posts here anymore!

Mountain Runner, your 10k time is fabulous! And did you already run the HM in October or is it coming up? Your road trip and trail running sounds aweswome, what a great experience for you!

Update about me... I am struggling with running... somehow I never recovered mentally from the injury in February. Summer got really busy, plus I started a new relationship meaning combining/juggling two families... well then weather was really hot until recently plus we went back to school in mid-August... so there were many reasons why I didn't get back into running like I did before. I had started a training plan for the HM, but had to give up after about 3 weeks. Also still same problem, hormones make me feel weak and keep me from performing well - twice a month... anyway I have been thinking about why I am also not so motivated about running anymore (besides all the reasons I mentioned) and I noticed that the emotional need is not there anymore. Last winter when I got seriously into running I had been at the end of an relationship, then the breakup and the painful post-break-up time.... I just needed the running. Now I am in a much better place and happy so the emotional need is not there anymore....plus all those other things are keeping me from running..... Makes me sad though, as I was such a strong runner in the spring and now not anymore.

Currently I am running 3 miles about 2x a week (weather only lately started cooling down a bit, I am assuming I should be able to run more soon)... better than nothing but I am not really happy about it. So, now my question... as you guys might remember, I registered for the HM in Monterey on November 18th... obviously I am not in shape to run a HM.. part of me is thinking about giving up that idea, esp. as it means a long travel, overnighting, expenses etc... and the other part of me thinks, maybe there is a way how I can finish the HM? Meaning running here and there but also lots of walking and just finish my 1st HM... any advice from you guys? Would that be doable? If yes... how would a possible training plan look like? There are about 4 weeks left.. how far should I push my running? 5 Miles and then walking and a bit of running here and there? or better give up on that HM and try for one in the spring (training in winter should be easier)... what is your input on this?

Thanks...

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    323. Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Hi everyone,

Britta, if you aren't already aware there are frequently groups that do run/walk intervals through entire races which might work well for you.  I frequently end up walking in long races anyway so having some company would be nice. 

I've had to work on getting my calf muscles over a overuse injury that's kept me back lately.  I have an indoor triathlon on the 28th that will be a good test of how I'm doing.  Time to think about goals for next year though, and I'll probably focus on the bike again.  There's an epic ride here in Denver called the Tripple Bypass that is calling my name.  The last 20 miles into Vail is all downhill so I can just focus on the first 100 and call it even, right?  No wonder my wife thinks I've lost it...

Andy

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...