Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1140 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 5:28 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT
blackberry2 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2012 9:11 PM

stress facture, but then they said no ??

Ran too far, in the heat with some freinds, long story short, got severe  blisters, on both feet,... quit my run and walked all the way to my car.    got home, and 4 hours later, my right foot swelled like a balloon.  I couldnt even walk.  I thought what a dumb run I shouldnt have went on,  but later I went to ER, and it was x-rayed,, and doctor said he could not see a break, but said he was sure it was stress fracture, and treated me and sent me home.  I've had planter F>  before, years ago, on other foot, But anyway, he said I was done with running for a long while.  3 days later,, I have no swelling, no pain, and am walking, etc.   I feel  fine.  Called him back and he said mabey just abad bruis.  Anyway, If I feel fine, do you guys think just give it a couple weeks, and try to start back slow, with my runs, and see what happens ?

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Aug 13, 2012 9:22 PM (in response to blackberry2)

That doesn't sound like a stress fracture to me.  I don't know WHAT it sounds like - but it doesn't sound like a stress fracture.  Stress fractures I believe tend to come on much more gradually/insidiously.

Maybe give it a short test run and see how it goes.  If it's painful or swells up again or something, then I'd get it checked - but by a sports doc or podiatrist.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Aug 13, 2012 9:55 PM (in response to blackberry2)

Stress fractures normally don't show up on an X-ray until about 3-4 weeks after the break. Even at that point one usually doesn't see an actual crack, but often can see some thickening of the bone where the fracture is healing. In their early stages they're often diagnosed by severe, localized pain directly over a bone, especially in areas like the feet where the bones are close to the surface. At any rate, they don't heal in times as short as several days. If the area looked bruised as well as swollen, you might have just broken a small blood vessel in your foot. That would heal relatively quickly as the blood was resorbed.

If you can now walk without pain, you should be OK doing a short test run. If all goes well, proceed and ramp back up.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    3. Aug 14, 2012 12:38 PM (in response to blackberry2)

Listen to this (very short):

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/so/so120812olympic_syndrome

maybe you can find a certain similarity to your stress fracture. I would just go for a shor run and see how it holds up.

Best,

Stefan

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,162 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Aug 16, 2012 5:28 PM (in response to blackberry2)

I would not get fixated on the possibility of a stress fracture. Had one or not, it did or didn't happed and will heal eventually, if you give it time. Don't take lack of immediate pain as proof of healing. You could be in for further injury if you do, regardless of actual cause or effect. It is more likely you pulled or dislocated a joint, ligament, tendon, muscle, etc. (ie:sprain/strain). Regardless of whether there is a stress fracture or not, there is definitely something wrong with your footwear, running surface, or foot. Granted, hot running tends to get sloppy, but your dogs are supposed to hold up to all that pounding, barring any accidents. When they don't, there is more to look at regarding the inherent stability of your anatomy and gear.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points