Skip navigation

5143 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 2:09 PM by BlueBeak RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Aug 14, 2012 8:21 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Another Protest Gone Wrong!

There is a mea culpa from LL on their Facebook discussion page.

• Jon - M Pro 145 posts since
    Jun 12, 2009
    33. Aug 14, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Re: Another Protest Gone Wrong!

For your reading enjoyment. Classic. Forego the combined decision of 4 Umpires and pull one out of somewhere.

----------------

Mike Robinson 4 hours ago

I was the 1st Base Umpire during this Farce. Jerry Fisher - Home Plate, Bruce Spring 2nd and Jeff Holliday 3rd base. As you can clearly see on this Video, The Umpire Crew got together and ruled Batter Interference. And According to the Official Little League Rule Book 7.09e “It is Interference by a batter or runner when – Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of a teammate.” When the Conn Coach asked for a ruling, The Bristol Officials(In the cage behind Home Plate) ruled that the runner goes back to 1st base. When the head coach from Burlington Vt (Coach Ed Hockenbury) came out and “Protested the Game” the Bristol officials called or reportedly called Williamsport for the correct ruling. After a few minutes Williamsport agreed with the “Bristol Officials” and the runner was sent back to 1st. I feel sorry for the 12 year old little leaguers from So Burlington Vt. The Bristol Officials and Williamsport let them down. The next day in the Umpire locker room we receive an apology from these “Bristol Officials” That we (The Crew) got it right and they Bristol and Williamsport were wrong. Too bad they didn’t follow another Little League rule and restart the game from the point of the protest!.

Hmmmmm Mike Robinson Bedford New Hampshire District one

------------------------------------

Little League Baseball & Softball 3 hours ago

@ Mike - We appreciate your first-hand account. There are times when even we "kick one," and this was apparently one of them. The decision was based on the information provided, which was, obviously, incorrect. However, please know that there is no rule in Tournament Play that states that such a game would be restarted from the point of the protest. That would be a decision only the Tournament Committee could make. It is a Regular Season rule, however. We do thank you for your volunteer service, and hope you had an otherwise good experience umpiring at the Regional level.

--------------------------------------

Bruce Spring 2 hours ago

@ Kyle: So with the statement that HQ has made above, do you still think that I threw WP under the bus? As I stated, there was some info that was not communicated properly and the decision was based upon what was actually given to them, so there was something lost in translation to HQ.

@HQ: thank you for updating us completely on what transpired or what didn't transpire and yes, we lived with the final decision and move on with our life.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mike Robinson An hour ago

Little League Baseball & Softball - My Experience at the Regional Tournament was one of mixed emotions. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the other volunteer umpires. I am happy that I was one of 12 who were selected to umpire in this prestigious tournament. I will always look on the 11 days spent at Bristol as a rewarding experience. I met some great people at the Little League level as well as coaches, Parents and Players who epitomize what Little League is all about. “Kicking one” during a regular season game in Bedford NH is one thing. “Kicking one” at a regional tournament where the loser goes home is quite another story. Claiming that you received bad information is no excuse. Sitting behind the screen at Bristol were the UIC and 2 assistant UIC’s, as well as other little League leadership personnel. If those guys can’t get it right in the rule interpretation or describing the scenario to Williamsport, then something is wrong. Since my early days of involvement in Little League, I have been told from day one that it is always about the kids and we should get the call right. Why was it that the four volunteer umpires got it right on the field and no one “behind the screen” did? If there is no procedure in place to protest a call, that is a problem. As an observer of what went on in Bristol during my eleven days there, I have other recommendations for the Little League powers that be, but this in not the forum to hold such discussions. If however you want to contact me at mrobinson104@yahoo.com then I will be happy to share my thoughts. We are all aware of the impact “Cal Ripken Baseball” is having on our sport and if Little League International is open to some frank and open discussions, we can bring it back to the status it has held in the past.

Mike Robinson Bedford NH District One

• Jon - M Pro 145 posts since
    Jun 12, 2009
    35. Aug 14, 2012 1:00 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Well, I was kind of thinking the same thing. FB is probably not the right place to vent.(that is, if you care) On that note though, I as well as many others would be pretty discouraged to have my on field call reversed and blasted all over the net. So much for 'don't suck' when someone else can 'suck' for you.

Last response from LL:

---------------------

Little League Baseball & Softball 52 minutes ago

@ Mike - Understood. There is no excuse on our part, only an admission that, while we strive for perfection, we admit we are not perfect -- even when it comes to big games. You were right. We were wrong.

It is little consolation, but these types of mistakes do happen far less often now than in the past. (Trust us on this.)

If you would like to put your thoughts on paper, or in an email, you can send them to Nick Caringi here at Little League International, at ncaringi@littleleague.org.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    36. Aug 14, 2012 1:56 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Your first paragraph speaks volumes Manny.

The LL rulebook does need rewriting/consolidation of subject matter, etc.

Ex:

The U3K Rule where rules 6.05(b) & 6.09(b) are needed be read.  [Needed: One rule, one subject addessed and explained as to involved details.--end of story!

Even the T-rules tell the reader to go to both rules for understanding the details involved with the U3K.    Page T-13.

Too many others to be listed here.

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    37. Aug 14, 2012 3:20 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

BTW--in regard to a coach "materially assisting a runner either advancing or retreating to a base."

What  I viewed in a recent Regional TV game.

Base-runner was hightailing it around 3rd base, coach was signalling him to "hold-up"---appeared the runner was not going to "hold-up"----coach out of the coach's box----held out his right arm, horizontally, across the base line---chest high to the runner now off 3rd headed for home.  The only thing I can't attest to from the camera angle, if the coach's outstretched arm, over the baseline, made contact with the runner's chest.  But was contact necessary with the coach's arm extended across the base line as it was?   The runner did retreat to 3rd.

Post note: If no actual contact was made with the runner----it was damn close!

Frank!

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    38. Aug 14, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to Jon - M)

First, hats off to WP for fessing up, and saying they kicked it. You can't ask for anything more than that.

The crew was resolved of their call, once the phone call was made.

A kick in the @ss for the two guys that smacked their boss in public. You'd think this was the company Christmas party, and these two knuckleheads got blasted and called their supervisor fat, bald and ugly. If I were their local DA, they'd be working wood bat t-ball from now on. Man, was that stupid of them.

Hint to all of you: Nothing you type is private. That is the way you need to conduct yourself on Al Gore's Internet, at all times.

May 25, 2007
    40. Aug 15, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to Frank_B)

It's the home plate coaxh's (ODB) job to yell go. There will also be a lot of commotion and others yelling.

A batter who struck out looking will look back because he 1) is tracking the pitch and 2) want's to give the umpire the evil eye. There are very few U3K's on a called strike due to its location.

A batter who struck out swinging is 1) mad at himself and 2) will look if he thinks there was the possibility of an U3K due to its location - but there usually isn't

May 25, 2007
    41. Aug 15, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to Manny_A)

I agree with Manny - the rule says "by touching or holding physically assists" and to me that's actual contact.

May 30, 2007
    42. Aug 15, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to Frank_B)

Qustion asked and answered, thanks Manny and Rich.

[But the action appeared to be so close, I'm still not sure, by the camera shot looking toward left field from home plate area, that contact, coach's arm & runner, was indeed not made.....but will put that call to bed as U3 was right on it]

In retrospect----that coach rolled the dice as to his runner not stopping in time.

Frank!

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    43. Aug 17, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to Kyle_)

A kick in the @ss for the two guys that smacked their boss in public. You'd think this was the company Christmas party, and these two knuckleheads got blasted and called their supervisor fat, bald and ugly. If I were their local DA, they'd be working wood bat t-ball from now on. Man, was that stupid of them.

You CAN'T be serious. WP didn't "fess up" until they were "smacked". Would you prefer that we sweep this quietly under the rug? Sometimes the dirty laundry isn't cleaned until an outside source views its uncleanliness. These guys did almost exactly the right thing by airing it out. I would hope that I would have the cajones to do the same. And I can tell you for sure that my future ability to work would have NO BEARING on my decision to do so. Only a coward would fall  back on that and these gus did not. The mistake has now been acknowledged and they can now implement steps to avoid a repeat.

To paraphase Edmund Burke:

All that is necessary for the triumph of errors is that good men do nothing.

Time wounds all heels.....

May 30, 2007
    44. Aug 17, 2012 10:12 AM (in response to BlueBeak)

I know one thing for sure.....

If not for the notoriety the subject begot , and yes discussion this board; I would of mistakenly believed--[due to my citing the wrong rule and my citing the RIM Instructor's Comment not in fact, applying]-- the call made by the involved people, i.e. returning the runner to 1st, was a correct call and gone on my merry way.      

Like the old saying goes, we learn, or should learn, from our mistakes.---For that I'm good with being corrected here, this board----BEFORE a like situation came to me locally, for input.

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...