Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

998283 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 ... 315 Previous Next
  • PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,305. Aug 11, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to mkayc)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Jpni & Phyllis, congrats on your great races and tks for sharing the picutres. Awesome!

Debra, sounds like you got some serious activity done while on vacation! good for you!!

Mary Kay, I'm concerned about your condition. I sure hope you get a definate prognosis soon and can get whatever it is taken care of. I agree on the WC Fields film...LOL.

I'm wondering what up w/ Active.com. For over 2 yrs I've logged my running on this site. Now there is a notice that site is going away at the end of October, but go on over to our new site.....sign up for training ($$) and continue keeping up w/ your activities.  Bummer. I've downloaded the records in excel format to my hard drive, but it won't have all my records re shoe mileage, etc. Oh well, life is about adjusting to change. I also keep record on Garmin site, but it doesn't track shoes.

DD & I did our long run today at the local dam. It is a mixture of trail, grass and pavement. Some hills, some flat, good variety. It wasn't too hot, which was nice. We did 11 miles, using 1:1 run:walk ratio in 2:21:12

for avg 12:28 pace. Feeling ok. After shower, I put on my new compression socks. They ARE PINK!!! But they feel good. Hope they help recovery. I also ordered some CP-X Compression 3/4 length tights. Hoping they help too. Both the socks and the tights are $$$$., but if they help recovery and prevent injury, they will be well worth it.

I've really enjoyed watching the olympics. The young US guy who ran the relay on a broken leg .....what an inspiration!!! His mantra....faith, focus, finish! I'm gonna borrow that and just add form to make it faith, form, focus, finish to help get me thru this GOOFY training and over the finish line.

Safe and happy running my friends!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

I haven't gotten any e-mail for awhile from this site. I thought everyone had just shut down for the heat. Imagine my surprise to find you all still here.

I have not done any races since June. Just been busy with other things on the week end. Well today I ran a 5k one year after the first one. I have been training working on speed and endurance. Today we had a great day for running, 60 and rainy (not actually raining). I improved my PR by about one minute to 21:51 and finished 1st (and only) in my AG, and 16th overll out of 125. I started out fast running the first mile in about 6:45. After the first mile I tried to stick with the other runners who had started out at about the same pace. It worked out great I was running with a group of about 4 or 5. I was not able to stay with all of them but they helped to keep me going.

I am planning to try a 5 mle run on September 1. This one is a big race with lots of compitition. I may not do so well in AG but I think having more runners is a good thing after the start.Those large starting packs can be a challenge.

Happy running everyone

Ron

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Ron-amazing time and amazing improvement.  Way to go.

Marie- a half, then a full the next day.  Yes, I think you may be certifiable!     Certifiably tough.

Debra-that was quite the vacation you had.  Glad you got some time with the books!

Long run today, 18 miles, 3 laps that brought me back to my driveway where I would hydrate and grab a Gu packet or chew.  Trying to do the long runs very slowly, keeping heart rate down.  Averaged 14:09m/mi, seemed to take forever!  Didn't have the lake so had to hit the tub for cold soak.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow?!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Dan That was a great long run. your mileage is increasing nicely. 18 miles is a lot of ground to cover no matter what the pace. the heck with the time.

Marie. Your well on your way to Disney. fashionably I might add. I wear CEP recovery socks and love them. I'm considering wearing CPX compression tights in Chicago. besides all the other benefits I don't do cold weather well.

mKay. hope you find out some long deserved GOOD NEWS soon. take it easy and listen to your body you have been thru a lot and don't need an injury on top of everything else.

Ron Way to go on the PR

as for me was scheduled to do 21 mile long run and actually did 22 instead. I ran in Pa all last week. but that welcome relief for our FLorida weather I paid for today. started running  at 3:45am. It was already 80 degrees with 78 % humidity. the first 11 miles were great. my fueling plan worked almost perfectly. then next six miles were tough. I lost focus for some reason as the heat took a toll and slowed me down. At 7am I called home for some more of my trustyHammer Heed. my awesome wife meet me along my pre planned route with colder water and Heed. that usually does the trick but  I slowed down again on miles 18 to 21.  Even though I felt much better.that's why I decided to do another mile JUST FOR  PRINCIPAL. All and all finished 22 miles with an average pace of 13 minute 3 second miles. my longest run to date.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Webpro: training for marathon takes balancing workout regime according to many articles and one of the concerns is to avoid (for lack of better word) reaching your "peak" too early which is what you want to achieve on race day. I kept that in mind while training for my first marathon. So only ran 24 miles once about 4 wks prior to race then tapered down about 4 miles each week.  I am just saying that it made sense to me to save my energy & muscles for a longer run (aka' race) rather than hitting the wall too soon prior to race day due to overtraining. Its remarkable how disciplined we can be when we have a goal to reach for personal achievement & find we can overcome challenges we didnt think we could. Your progress is simply amazing!! I know you will finish!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,310. Aug 12, 2012 11:00 AM (in response to mkayc)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Mkaye:  I pray you return to better health quickly. Your optimistic & fierce attitude shines through.

Cooler temps here making climate "clammy" but finding out its much more tolerable to run in ~ YAY!!

Ran 10.22 in 1:44:20 ~ better ~ slowly but surely :)

Planning on 11 miles later today.

Will try a double run tomorrow to work on strength, 8 miles in AM, 6 miles PM, then rest Tues.

Run easy 10 Thurs, rest till HM day on Sun:)

Yeah, not getting emails here either unless I sign in to website directly.

Trail runner

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

AZ~Keep up the great training, and you are going to rock your HM next weekend! 

Tony~22 miles....you are amazing!  Those supportive spouses surely come in handy delivering gels, water and encouragement!

Dan~Nicely done on the 18 miles! 

Ron~Congratulations on the stellar 5k PR and AG win! 

Marie~Pretty in Pink!  Let us know how the compression gear works for you.  The $$$$ is holding me back, but if the benefit is better recovery I may have to bite the bullet.

marykay~Hope you had a nice 5m walk/run and trail hike this weekend.  Praying it all turns around for you soon.

Had a lighter mileage week of  5 mi., 5 mi., 4 mi., and 5 mi. today.  Struggled with today's 5 mile run.  I had a difficult time getting into a good rhythm, and the bike path was very congested with large touring groups of cyclists. Too many late nights watching the Olympics may also be a factor.  Excuses, excuses.  Onward to a new week of training, and putting today's lousy run behind me.

Run strong, friends!

Feb 27, 2011

Az1414 thanks for the advice and support. I plan on doing two mor long runs before race day on oct 7th.

August 25th I have 24 miles scheduled. Then my last one is Sept 16th which I have 26 miles planned. then it's an easy week for the start of my taper. I hoped I planned it right.

good luck on Sunday. looking forward to your sub 2 hour post. either way run safe and have fun.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Yes, I am still alive and running.  I haven't posted for some time because I haven't had anything much to say.  Nothing new on the grandchild front; all is still going normally and they are on track for the August 30 projected due date.  Stay tuned.

We finally have some cool mornings, so I've been going out between 6 and 7 AM, two days on, one day off.  Since I'm not training for a marathon, I'm not putting in the mega-miles that some of you are doing (Tony, this means you).  We have several miles of gravel trails at our campground and I prefer that softer surface to the road.

Mary Kay, I add my best wishes to the others for a full recovery.

Marie, you are setting the fashion bar pretty high with those pink socks.  Can you post a picture?

Dan, congratulations on the 18-miler.  Good planning that you can stop at home for refills.

No races for me until mid-September.  I'll increase the long run to nine or 10 miles pretty soon, but now I'm doing 4-9 miles, four days a week.  Really nice that we have 60-degree rather than 70 to 75-degree mornings.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

Ok, this thread includes challenges, so today I rant!

I'm really tired of the summer heat! Trying to get in quality runs when it's at least 80 degrees and over 80% humidity is discouraging. For the most part my runs feel better than they did last summer, but they are clocking in at a much slower pace most of the time. Perhaps it's because I began my heavy duty miles later in the summer last year (marathon was in February while this one occurs in October), but man, I'm wiped out this summer!! I'm not injured (big knock on wood), I'm just SLOW!

Thanks for listening to my rant. As I read the paragraph above, I see my problem and I've already identified it. My training has all moved up four months - the four hottest months of the year, duh!! I need to cut myself some slack and be thankful that I have no pains in my knees, hips or ankles. Of course I'm going to be slower in the heat. I think I'm also still in mourning over my husband's bum knee which is still acting up. I knew I was going to have to run my long runs on my own for the most part, but I really thought I was going to be able to share my middle of the week runs with him.

Ok. All better! Happy running!

Feb 27, 2011

Steve I'd pay dearly for cooler weather

Urun2me Thanks for the rant!!!! my thoughts exactly. your preaching to the choir.

Debra   this week will be better. the Olympics are over.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Urun and webpro:  I feel your pain, good news is you will be better for it.  It's like training at altitude. 

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Urun, glad you could work that out. You've been a huge source of optimism and I hate to see you stressed. Is there anything else sapping the fun?

Steve, we both have HMs in Sept but you seem so relaxed about yours while I am uber stressed. Hope I can catch up and get some of that calm.

Debra, the last bike path I ran was congested with cyclists, too. How annoying! Sorry you struggled with your last 5 mi. but one lousy run in four? Sounds a little normal to me.

Az, You will kill on Sunday! You've logged a lot of miles lately for a HM. Good luck and Enjoy!!

Tony, your training is amazing! You are so ready!! Glad to see you are also enjoying it. I'm gong to try your Heed routine since I have a sample and found myself really wasted toward the 2 hr mark on Saturday. Gel makes me feel sluggish; I'd rather get liquid nutrients so may also add in a Hammer protein product. The Perpetuem tabs hurt my teeth.

Dan, 18 mi.!! Awesome work!!

Ron, congratulations on the great race result!! I will be re-running my first 5k soon and can't wait.

Marie, I missed the message that the thread is closing in October. I am really bummed. I want to save the posts but it would take forever. This has given me such enormous strength and motivation. So glad you mentioned "faith, focus and finish". I've found running affirmations or chants or whatever to be very useful to shut the committee in my brain off, even for short times, when I know I can push farther but it is telling me I am too tired.

Went out for a 5-7 mi out and back on Saturday. I know it was too soon but HAD to. Later I realized why. I needed to stress my body to see what hurt just in case all still wasn't well. If I needed another procedure, I didn't want to wait another two weeks playing with the pain and doubt. Besides, it was a test to see how close I was to training for the 9/29 HM. I was invincible for 15 min., managed the next 30 min. (3mi), battled the voices telling me to stop for another 15 min., and numbly waddled for another 15 (5 mi). Then when a bike passed really close, I realized I was drifting all over the path and decided to walk the last two miles. I was dizzy nauseous like you get when your blood pressure is too low but the hr monitor was fine so I kept walking and survived.

Work has been ridiculous. I should have taken those two weeks the doctor offered but this stuff would have been awful had it gotten two weeks older. Anyway, because of this I opted not to coach my newbies on Monday night. Next morning received notice that one of the group members died of a heart attack during the run at 51. Oh, so sad. He had a history of heart problems and was jogging to protect his health. This may make me selfish but I am glad I wasn't there. Still reeling from my own events, I can't imagine seeing this would have been good. But this and discussion with co-worker raised my fav issue: How much of the common lore about aging is science and how much is myth; Do we really have to be satisfied with mediocre results just because we are older? So co-worker sent me this article that I really enjoyed and want to share:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244-633-14401-0,00.html

Last night did speed work with co-worker's running group. Well, I did half of it and then joined a woman who was new and walk/running. probably covered 2.5 mi at most but at a steady pace that was much lower than my race pace. I have no idea what it was bc motactv was acting strange. How does this speed stuff work in the long run? I'm asking because I'm wondering which would be better for me, to do this or to just run 4-6 mi.

Stay strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

By lower pace, I mean lower in number and faster.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jan 20, 2010

Great running everyone!!  Overcoming challenges makes our training runs hard earned and sweet when we finish!!  YAY!!

Well, my training has come to a screeching halt.  Caught a horrendous chest/head cold quite suddenly. 

On Sunday evening, I ran 11.5 miles just under 2 hours, a few walk breaks due to dogs who met me on the county dirt roads I found to be less busy.

My run was after a good downpour which dropped the temps but the clamminess left a cold wetness against my skin.  Came home to find some reddish spots on my upper chest, following the lines of my sportsbra.  Felt okay the next day, a little sluggish but ran errands all day.  Decided against running till the next day.  Woke up at about 3 am with a sore throat, ear ache, and feverish.  The only thing running is my nose, haha!!  Feel awful, coughing and muscles ache.  Staying hydrated but depressed now after seeing doctor and the advice:  stop running, no racing, get some race!!  Darn it!!

So my brain says to follow the doc's advice although my pride and yeah, okay......... stubbborness ....... want to challenge the HM ............ but hubby is sticking with the doc!! 

I'm totally perplexed ............ health just has been dismal it seems since moving to MN!!  I hope it improves when I get back to northern AZ in a couple of weeks. 

So guess I need to vent too ............... maybe I should not have ran after the rainstorm. 

Oh well, I will continue when I get over this and try for another HM in Sept. 'somewhere' ............ and Oct. in Albq, NM.

You all take care and stay safe. Keep it up everyone, love reading your posts!!

Can't believe the signs of fall is already here!!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...