Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1735 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 1:16 AM by b_roptwin@yahoo.com RSS
NuRunnr Amateur 15 posts since
Aug 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2012 8:15 AM

C25K - Aug - Heart Rate Question

OK, I don't officially start Couch to 5K until Aug 22nd, but I've been jogging since July in preparation of a 5K I signed up for on Sep 8th.

I've worked up to 3 miles runs with average mile time of 10min; meaning, my fastest is 9 and slowest is 11.

Here is my question. According to my El Cheapo Timex Road Trainer watch my resting heart rate is 80 with max of 163 and average on a 3 m run is 154.

I'm 45 yo, 165 and 5'10 and spend most of my time in an office.

Does this heart rate (HR) appear rather high to you?

When I finish the 3 m I'm sweaty, legs are tired but feel good.  I haven't measured my recovery time yet but that is next.  I'm collecting data to see my RELATIVE improvement over time but just curious if someone else has this watch and/or opinions on the absolute numbers.

Thanks.

Scott

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,393 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 1, 2012 9:26 AM (in response to NuRunnr)

Why are you doing C25K if you can already run 3 miles in 30 minutes (or so)?  The point of the program is to get you there.

How are you taking RHR (Resting HR)? Should be done before you get out of bed in the morning.  You can't really be sure of the rest without knowing your true MHR (Maximum HR).  The formulas commonly used are not particularly accurate.  You can get it tested at a human performance lab but that is $$$.  Here is an article on ways you can get close yourself: http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

And the $64,000 question: Have you had a good physical recently?

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,393 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 1, 2012 3:15 PM (in response to NuRunnr)

Ah, well.  It's unlikely that your PCP will have any idea about heart rates and safe ranges.  For instance, my RHR is around 48.  That is considered abnormal; anything under 60 is called bradycardia.  But it's not abnormal for a "well-trained" athlete.

Len

Len

• b_roptwin@yahoo.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    4. Aug 16, 2012 1:16 AM (in response to NuRunnr)

Hi Scott,

Have you tried to figure out you HR Zones or have anyone do it for you, such as a Personal Trianer or local coach? If your RHR and MHR are accurate, based on your performance of running 3miles at a HR or 154, you are working at 95% of your HR MAX [MHR]. Have you considered working in walking intervals, and including workouts throughout the week at a slower pace, and lower HR Zones? Since your at 95% workload for that 3 mile run, your putting alot of stress on your body if thats what your conually doing every week, hypothetically 3-4 times a week. Your risk an increase for injury, overtraining, and decreased motivation. I don't know you personally, so not sure if your an Iron Machine, but I sure couldn't keep up that workload/intensity without proper recovery, and rest intervals.

If you linked up with a coach to design a program, mayber he/she can help you out.

I would personall do a week workout like this:

Sunday: Off

Monday: Z2/3 30 min run [walk at incline, or cross train if runnins too stressful]

Tuesday: Off or crosstrain

Wednesday:15min WU in Z2/3, 6X60second Intervals in Z5 [your 154 HR region], 10min cool down in Z2

Thursday:Z2/3 Run

Friday:Off

Saturday: Crosstrain

Just an idea,

Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...