Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1276 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 9:51 AM by GinnyinPA RSS
chell730 Expert 40 posts since
Aug 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 15, 2012 5:10 PM

running plans a week off?

I have just set up my running plans to train for a half marathon. I have about 8 months (37 weeks) until the event and I am using HH's novice 1, novice 2, and intermediate to help get me there.  As I was maping this out on my google calendar, I realized I finish a week before the actual half marathon.

Should I move the intermediate plan back a week or should I take it easy that week?

If I leave it finishing a week early, should I go ahead and run a practice half marathon the weekend before?  (I am a little anxious to do this.  I'd like to wait and run it for the race weekend.  the weekend I finish is also the weekend of the first 5k I ran this past year and I'd like to run it again.)

Thanks for the advice!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 16, 2012 9:51 AM (in response to chell730)
    running plans a week off?

Eight months is a long way off.  Chances are that week will disappear along the way.  Life happens.  Could be a cold, or injury or family or work obligations, or vacation or snowstorm, etc. etc. It is very hard to maintain an exact schedule for that long without interruption.  I wouldn't worry about it now, just do the best you can to safely build up your mileage and when you are a month away from the race, if you still are exactly on schedule, then deal with the extra week. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points