Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

476 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 5:00 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Shanechef Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2012 3:28 PM

I popped my knee out last week

Ok, so i am a beginner runner, i have just finished my first 1/2 marathon back in july and finished it in 2hrs 16min. i felt fine, enjoyed the run immensly and i am looking forward to running the staten island 1/2 in october and the Philly full in nov.

So i have an existing knee problem which i have not had operated on, it is not a problem once i do not pop it out. so before you tell me seek medical attention that is not going to happen. I'm 36 in good health and im not repeat not going to seek medical help, its a knee problem i've dealt with all my life.

So i popped my knee out 2 weeks ago while walking dow stairs, i have stayed off it for the past two weeks Ice pack and plenty rest solved the first stage of the injury. Now i know i cannot run on my knee so i've started to cycle in the gym instead, to mim the pressure on my knee, i do not feel any pressure doing this so i think i will continue.

My question is, What type of training should i be doing while my knee is off limits to insure i can run in the november marathon? again i was up to 13 mil long run once a week and i felt fine afterwards, and 3x 5mile runs midweek

any tips will be freatly appreciated thanks

Shane

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 16, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to Shanechef)
    Re: I popped my knee out last week

When you say "popped out," exactly what do you mean? I will assume this is not a pop with every stride as in the case of some ITBS symptoms, but something unusual that pops back in place and disappears until the next incident. There are intermittent popping sounds from bad Patellar (knee cap) tracking and then there is dislocation. If one of your Cruciate ligaments was pulled or severed, for example, your Femur (thigh bone) could slide out of the socket of your knee joint, which could be very serious, even if it doesn't hurt. There are people who run (carefully) with this problem, but there is always the risk of further loosening of the joint and severe dislocation.

I will assume whatever popped out has been popped back, so any exercise that does not pop it out again or cause swelling and/or painful inflammation helps to strengthen the muscles that also hold this joint together. Proper exercises, preferably coupled with carefully targeted trigger-point massage to the Quads, can help if the problem is only Patellar tracking, by balancing Quad tension on the Patella as it rides up and down in a notch on the front of the Femur. A chronically tight outer Quad and weak/spasmodic inner Quad often combine to cause this, but be careful with the terms "tight" and "weak." Think in terms of proper function vs. dysfunction  A tight and overexercised muscle can be quite useless, and a weakly functioning muscle can be quite strong. Your brain and spinal cord will determine how much flexion each muscle will be capable of based on its condition, whether it is otherwise strong or not, and operate it accordingly. Inflammation under the patella will also result in reduced flexion of the inner Quad. No matter what the cause or level of training, too much, too soon, or too fast will give a well trained world-class athlete a flat tire.

Ligaments are most important though, and a loose one is not likely to just heal properly without surgery (can you manually slide the Femur off the joint?). In either case, solve the original problem asap before getting back out on the road. Otherwise, you risk damage to the joint cartilage or increased instability of your knee.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...