Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1029 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 8:56 PM by QincyNL RSS
MarybethM Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2012 8:58 AM

sore hip?

I was truly enjoying your program but ran into a little glitch.  I was into day two of the 4th week but some how I managed to hurt my hip.  It hurt so much I could hardly walk.  So I have rested for about a week and a half.  I am feeling better.  So I thought I would get back walking then start back with the program.  Is it best I could back to the 3rd week of the program or will it be alright to just continue from were I stopped at 4th week day 2?  I signed up for a 5K Sept. 30 but don't know if I will make it.  I am 53 years old and have always been relatively active:hiking, biking and lots of walking.  Marybeth

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Aug 16, 2012 5:08 PM (in response to MarybethM)
    sore hip?

No matter how active you are, a new sport, or a new wrinkle in one you have enjoyed for years takes some adjustment. You are probably feeling that now. However, to be on the safe side, you should not hold yourself to any time goals or deadlines, signed up or not. The best of us have had to pass 'em by. Instead, think of this recovery time as a gift to go about healing and becoming stronger.

First, evaluate what you can and cannot do, and when or where pains occur. Is pain present at all times, when laying down, when getting up, when standing, driving, sitting, squatting, crossing your legs, climbing stairs? When and where these pains occur can help identify which parts of your anatomy are in use and at the root of your pain.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Aug 18, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to MarybethM)
    sore hip?

Marybeth,

It could be an alignment issue, so maybe check with a good sports PT or chiropractor.  Female athletes are more prone to a variety of pelvic/hip issues, so it is important to get a professional evaluation now to better address any underlying causes.  There is a long list of factors that could be influencing your symptoms. 

Keep the faith and get some solid opinions.  Best wishes.

• QincyNL Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    3. Jan 19, 2013 8:56 PM (in response to MarybethM)
    sore hip?

Your going to get hurt in this sport for sure but on the flip side you will get different types of aches with being sedintary.  I would suggest having it looked at by a professional but before you go in really educate yourself about where and when it hurts, as well as the anatomy in the area.  It will help the provider make a better treatment plan for you

Here a video to go over some hip anatomy http://www.p2sportscare.com/2013/01/10/sharp-pain-in-lateral-hip-while-running/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points