Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

657 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 8:34 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
metalheadrunner Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2012 4:31 PM

Compression shorts for preventing future adductor tear?

Hello I am new to this forum and recently am comming off an adductor tear that I got when I was playing softball.  And I just finished my physical therapy and the PT told me to do some exersises and in two more weeks I should be fully healed.  So once I am healed it will be about 10 weeks of my injury.  When I play any sport or run I wear either regular compression shorts, or for running I will wear some shorter ones under my shorts, but I would like to know other than properly staying streched and warmed up are there some better compression shorts so I can have a better chance of not reinjuring it and retearing it.  I have thought and looked at under armour core shorts pro, CW-X mens pro shorts and some others but I would like to know from fellow runners and others who have any advice on good compression shorts that could help streangthen my chances at making sure with streaching and warming up that I won't tear my adductor again.

Thankyou for some more advice

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,154 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Despite any manufacturer claims to the contrary, it would be hard for any clothing to compress anything enough to make that great a difference in your potential for re-injury, without completely cutting off peripheral circulation. The main value of compression shorts is to reduce chafing from otherwise loose-fitting gear, and the moisture-wicking effect from clothing next to the skin. There is also a placebo effect from the sensory feedback.

There may be a brace of some kind that could prevent over-abduction, but it would probably be too uncomfortable for wear during a run. Your best bet is to choose your running surface with care, by avoiding all uneven terrain, surfaces that are too soft for a stable foot plant, curved surfaces like track ovals, and speeds that recruit the adductors as auxiliary hip flexors.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...