Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

551 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 7:48 PM by MarkInNH RSS
HeatherDianne04 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2012 12:01 PM

Discouraged Runner

I have been running off and on for about a year and a half now. My first time ever running, I did 1.5 miles without stopping, so I stuck with that. I ended up with a knee injury and had to sit out for a few months. Ive been running again since then, however, I am now getting shin splints every time I run. I have brand new shoes from Fleet Feet, Ive tried running on all different surfaces, and Ive been stretching and trying to make my legs stronger, but nothing seems to be working. My goal was to train and run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February, but that isn't looking like a possibility right now. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips on how to help prevent this issue?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Aug 8, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to HeatherDianne04)
    Discouraged Runner

It may be a good idea to see a sports PT to determine the underlying cause of the shin splints and get a specific rehabilitation plan. 

I would also double-check your shoes, look at custom inserts and/or arch supports.  Maybe get a gait analysis from a professional because certain foot, muscle and flexibility inbalances can cause this condition to keep happening.  Of course, there are shin spint sleeves that might also be of benefit, but it is important to address all the factors that might be contributing. 

P.S.  Investigating some natural supplements might also help.  Some runners have reported improving with increases in Vitamins E, D, K and Magnesium. 

Hope you are back on the way to your half soon!

• MarkInNH Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 12, 2009
    2. Aug 16, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to HeatherDianne04)
    Discouraged Runner

Something that really helped me when I was new to running was atraining group.  I joined a 10K group, and it helped with a lot of thebasics of running- what pace you should start out with, how far to runfor your ability level, how to increase your distance, how to stretchto avoid injuries, things I really had no idea about.  Before that Iwould get exiced and start my runs fast, and burn out after twomiles.   It also give you support and motivation, and the trainers werehappy to answer questions.

It's probably not a bad idea to see a doctor about your injuries either.

Good Luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points