Skip navigation

1139 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 10:06 AM by LaurenRock0 RSS
SJuhan Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2012 7:14 AM

Any thoughts on an Atlanta Triathlon?

I'm a newcomer to triathlon's and currently looking to do my second.  I live in Atlanta and can't help but notice the lack of intown race options.  There are a large number of relatively nearby events in basically every direction from the city, but most are at least 45min - 1hr away.  I think a more intown race would be a bid draw.  The only current intown option has the swim portion in the pool at Piedmont Park, not an open water swim.

There are some great bike trails and parks with running / bike trails and lakes that would make for a great course.  The most obvious to me is a race using Stone Mountain Park: nice lake with beach for easy start, there's a circular road around the park that's about 4 miles, and there is a great paved bike track, the PATH Foundation's Stone Mountain Trail, running 19 miles from the park through Decatur all the way to Piedmont Park.

It wouldn't be a Downtown race but would definitely be an intown race covering a good portion of the east side of Atlanta, a great course, and a lot more accessible than most triathlon options for the area. 

I think it's a good idea but have no race / event planning experience.  Does anyone have any thoughts on getting something like this started?  I've put some very early feelers out to various officials at each organization involved but wondering if anyone here as experience or advice that might help.

I am also trying to guage interest.  It seems like a good idea to me, but thought I'd throw it out to the community to see if anyone else is interested.  I'm thinking if there is substantiated interest it will be easier to get the park, trail officials, and city officials in each local area interested.

Any feedback, especially from Atlanta or GA folks is appreciated.  Thoughts?

• XCM Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 6, 2011
    1. Sep 21, 2012 5:08 PM (in response to SJuhan)

I've been racing triathlons for about 12 years, I've lived most of these years in Atlanta. There are some good new options within an hour of the city - Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, Peachtree City, and Winder, etc. I've personally been more interested in launging an off-road race as close to ITP as possible but the terrain just doesn't support it. The swim portion is missing. There are no clean lakes or rivers. They don't allow swimming in Stone Mountain Lake. Do you happen to know any water options?

• LaurenRock0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 25, 2011
    2. Sep 22, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to SJuhan)

The PATH Foundation sponsors the TriPATHalon in May each year at Chastain Park. It is a sprint Tri. Well organized and fun. Check it out!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points