Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2040 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2012 6:26 PM by chell730
chell730 Expert 40 posts since
Aug 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2012 7:09 AM

newbie to half marathon

Hey everyone! I am a newbie runner. I'm about 8 months in and have logged about 500 miles.  I have taken on the challenge of half marathon in April of next year.  I've got about 8 months to train and will be using HH's novice 1, novice 2, and intermediate plans to get there. 

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    1. Aug 16, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to chell730)
    newbie to half marathon

My advice to you for your first one, just concentrate on finishing.  Make that your goal, then worry about achieving a specific time on your next one.  Other than that, listen to your body and don't push yourself if your body is telling you to slow down or take a break.  8 months is a lot of time, should be plenty of time to get yourself ready for the race. Best of luck to you!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 21, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to BigSlade)
    newbie to half marathon

Chell,

Congrads and best of luck to you.  I agree with everything above, be consistent but smart.  Stay on your plan HH plans are great for 1st timers.  If you miss a run don't stress out and don't worry about making it up.  But don't miss runs because of low motivation.  You can run if you are sore, a good general rule for me is if it's not getting better or it get's worst in 20 mins don't run.    Enjoy the process and make it a lifetime goal not a short term goal!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Aug 21, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to chell730)
    newbie to half marathon

Hi Chell,

Congratulations on your goal.  I think I have already posted this many times, so I apologize for repeating it over and over, but it really would be beneficial to complete some other races before the half.  You have plenty of time to get in some solid 8k or 10k events that will help with preparation and should assist with your training schedule.  15k events are more difficult to find, but would also be a good opportunity.  I am not suggesting to race every weekend, but signing up for one or two a month might help with getting to the half.

Wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...