Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1372 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2012 8:04 AM by kathruns RSS
gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2012 10:16 AM

Running in humid weather

I am a new runner 42 yrs old have been doing the run/walk plan, I am a avid gym freak basic cardio and weight lifting and looking for a new challenge so I want to run!  I am not really following the slow plan on run/walk now that I am into week 3 I start off at 3 min. brisk walk, run 4 min walk 1 min. and then 2 run/1 walk  but it is really hot humid even at 6:30 am in FL. so I am losing steam now down to 1:30 min run walk 1min  doing a total of 30 min time  what am I doing wrong?  I drink plenty of water and small snack 1 hr prior, is the weather?  Just trying to get some ideas? any suggestions much appreciated.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Aug 21, 2012 6:19 PM (in response to gogolegs)
    Running in humid weather

Gogolegs. Our weather in Florida this summer has been brutal between the heat and humidity. It sounds like you just need to give your body a chance to adjust to your new challenge. Once youhave more time on your feet outside the heat won't bother you as much. I would suggest you run as early as possible. I start my long runs between 3:30 - 4:30. Normal runs 5 - 6 miles no later than 5:30.If your doing a run / walk ratio and can lst 30 minutes your running to fast for your current level of fitness considering the heat and humidity. Try slowing your pace down considerably. try a 30/30 ratio. Sounds crazy but it will help you get the needed time on your feet. Gradually increase to 60/30. If you go online and check Galloway run / walk ratio's you'll find you just started a little to fast. Try not to worry about speed. if 30 minutes is you max. set your goal at 45 minutes. If your panting or breathing heavy you going to fast. Another good indication is a Heart Rate monitor. Try to stay under 75% of you max rate.

Good luck. Hope this helps

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 22, 2012 10:11 AM (in response to Webpro11)
    Running in humid weather

Some numbers that may help maybe not.  I adjust fairly well after two weeks we stay with a dew pt above 70 for most of the summer.  You will feel great in the winter.

Dew Points                                                      Humidity + Temp

75 + Extremely uncomfortable                           150+ Adjust for slower pace just focus on finishing

70-74 Very Humid and uncomfortable                 130-150 Adjust for slower speed especialy longer

65-69 Somewhat uncomfortable                         120-130 OK for fast 10K adjust for longer

60-64 OK for most                                            100-120 Not Ideal okay for fast

Below 100 IDEAL                             

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Aug 22, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to gogolegs)
    Running in humid weather

Look into one of the running headbands/bandanas.  Some have wicking fabric and/or cooling gels that are activated with water, so those can be a great help with cooling core body temps and getting through higher humidity. 

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    4. Aug 28, 2012 10:12 PM (in response to gogolegs)
    Running in humid weather

I'm new and slow so take it for what it's worth. So far great advice. I run in SE Texas (Usually I'm visiting in the Ft Laud area right now) and most of my runs are temps between 75 (heaven) and 85 with humidity that rarely drops below 90% but I'd guess almost all are above 97%. It's hard sometimes to even get going when both numbers are at the high end. (Last year when I tried this we were having lots of 100+ degrees days and rarely had a night that dropped below 85 by the time I took my midnight run. So I've done a lot of looking into this. The things for your neck or head (I'm thinking of trying one on both. LOL) do help me. I also wet my head with cool water before I start. Clothes that wick I'm not so sure about. They just can't wick that fast, but maybe I just sweat that much. I get thirsty even though I'm only up to about 2 miles in the time limit (W8) so I've always carried a small water bottle with me. I freeze half a bottle and then fill it right before I do my stretches.  When I start to get really wilted feeling I pour some of the water on my head and sometimes my feet.  But I wear barefoot running shoes so the feet thing likely won’t work for most people. I get hot feet.   But mostly I accept that the heat and humidity means that if I want to go the distance I can’t push myself to run faster than it lets me comfortably.  Everything I’ve read says that in hot humid weather you have to slow down.  I look forward to seeing if it’s true that when the weather does break and cool down that I will naturally speed up some.  Hope you get some help from all the wonderful advice you've gotten so far. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    5. Aug 31, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to gogolegs)
    Running in humid weather

I'm in Florida too and this is my first summer running. I finished C25K last December.

I've experienced that I cannot run at the same pace as I did in the cooler months. I'm running anywhere up to a 2 full minutes slower for the same distance of 3 miles.  I was getting discouraged by this, but after reading that it's best to slow down in the humidity I'm accepting it and hoping to see the payoff when it turns cooler again...November? right!

I run early in the morning at about 6:15 before the sun is up, but it seems to be the most humid then too.  I am totally drenched when I'm done running and have to splash cool water on my face to cool down.  I would suggest slowing down as mentioned and making sure you have water available on your route.

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points