2555 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 8:54 AM by Frank_B
Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2012 1:21 PM

The Uganda/Oregon game today.

Uganda won--3 to 2.

Having watched the entire game. AND...

taking nothing away from the positive public's interest re the Uganda team and their players; and the positive PR job resulting for their appearance in this years LLWS; there were several instances in the game today where I felt the Oregon players (purposely) did not play up to their full potential.  

For example---1st inning, Uganda batting, soft line drive over F6's head. It apeared very much catchable---with F6 waving at it, ends up as a hit--fielded by F8.

last inning, Oregon down by one run, Oregon runner on 1st, takes off for 2nd, not at full speed, decides to return (even slower) to 1st and  is tagged out.

If  I'm wrong, I'm okay with that; but just my impression of Oregon's efforts to win the game----with their other 100% efforts scattered thruout the game.

But no question, Uganda players did show big improvement over their 1st two games played and losing by big scores.

Frank!

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Aug 21, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    The Uganda/Oregon game today.

"...

But Win or Lose

I will always do my Best" !!!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 21, 2012 7:21 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Re: The Uganda/Oregon game today.

I admit I didn't see the game and did not check the box score.

If it had been my team the kids that were normally subs would have been in for the whole game - the starters would be swapping out - the kids that had been begging to play another position all summer would get to play there - and we'd play like we were at  a party celebrating the season - which we would be.

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Aug 22, 2012 1:42 AM (in response to Frank_B)

I didn't see the game as any type of a giveaway by the Oregon team.  Trust me.  No team wants to go to Williamsport and go 0-3.  Especially getting beat by a third world country!

For example---1st inning, Uganda batting, soft line drive over F6's head. It apeared very much catchable---with F6 waving at it, ends up as a hit--fielded by F8.

There are plays in every game where I feel that a play could be made if the fielder would have just turned differently.  That doesn't mean that the players aren't trying.  It means that they're 11 & 12 year olds.

last inning, Oregon down by one run, Oregon runner on 1st, takes off for 2nd, not at full speed, decides to return (even slower) to 1st and  is tagged out.

I remember this play very well.  On ball 3, the batter thought that he had walked.  He turned and tossed his bat toward the dugout.  Seeing this, the runner on first started trotting toward second base.  The Ugandan catcher alertly ran at the runner and had him trapped between first and second.  He was a "dead duck".  That's whay he appeared to just trot back to first base, where he was tagged out.

May 25, 2007
    6. Aug 22, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Frank - it wasn't a "real" game - it was a season's-over-lets-have-fun game.  Don't apply the same expectations.

May 25, 2007
    8. Aug 22, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Not saying that at all Frank.  Each individual player was up to his potential - but the overall team potential was limited by the placement of players into positions and the amount of time they played. Joey may be a great CF but a mediocre SS - that doesn't mean if he's placed at SS the fielding attempt was purposely misplayed - it means he couldn't make the play.

And your expectation that a consolation game played at the end of a long, exciting, but tiring summer would be played like it was the championship game are out of touch with reality. More like spring training.  There the regulars play part of the game if at all and go home - subs and wannabe's go all put trying to make the team - but for most of them they aren't yet up to the skill level of the regulars.  Ugandans are the wannabes - there to make a point. So they went all out.  Expected.

I'm letting the subs get their chance to play on the big stage.  I'm letting Joey play SS.  The subs sat all summer - now it's their reward.

IMHO you're making way too much of a big deal about this.

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    10. Aug 23, 2012 5:01 PM (in response to Frank_B)

From RI:

I admit I didn't see the game and did not check the box score.

Neither did I. Hence my heretofore silence on the subject.

Also from RI:

IMHO you're making way too much of a big deal about this.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic Mr. Ives, since when has your opinion been "humble".

I don't agree with you that Frank! was making "way too much of a big deal". He (IMO) was just stating an observation, and then responded to differing opinions. A "way to much of a big deal" take? No it's a discussion, a back-n-forth that we all enjoy.

I would certainly concur that this meaningless game would provoke me as coach to shift the line up/positions, but that does not at all diminish an ability of another observer that might see an otherwise possible outlook, and then pose the aforementioned questions.

I think you, by insuation are making way too much of a big deal of Frank!s observation. (imHo of course)

Time wounds all heels.....

May 25, 2007
    11. Aug 23, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to BlueBeak)

Frank said this in his first post:  "there were several instances in the game today where I felt the Oregon players (purposely) did not play up to their full potential."

Note the use of the word "purposely"

He followed thatup with "I never in all my years of LL got the "feeling" that a team, and/or individual players, did not (attempt) to play up to their full potential--as I did in watching some, not all, Oregon players, in  that game......"

Lou chimed in with: 

"But Win or Lose

I will always do my Best" !!!"

To which Frank responded  "Persons testifying in courts also swear to tell the truth.    "

To me he was saying they rolled over to the Ugandans - lay down - violated the LL pledge. Cheated.

I disagreed.  If that makes me the bad guy so be it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...