Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

628 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 25, 2012 9:17 PM by Formerxcrunnernowcoach
jasemom Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2012 12:36 PM

new to HS cross country

My son is 15.  He has played football for the past 4 years and recently took up boxing.  He started running on the treadmill to train for boxing and liked it.  I took him with me to the local trail, strapped the gps on his wrist and sent him out for 3 miles.  His first time out his pace was 7:17.  The second time, having a better feel for what he was up against he ran at 6:56 pace.  The trail is relatively flat.  He has run on the treadmill to get in shape for boxing but was not really focusing on improving speed.  He has elevated the treadmill some what but I wouldn't compare it to running hills on the road.  Anyway, with proper training I'm hoping that he could manage a sub 20 minute 5k and be able to compete on the HS cross country team his jr and sr year.  He is going to stick with football this year and then plans on focusing on boxing and running.  He plans on entering in local 5ks.  At about a 7:00 pace starting point, how much improvement can he expect?  What are some of the best training programs for teenage cross country runners?

• Formerxcrunnernowcoach Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 25, 2012 9:17 PM (in response to jasemom)
    new to HS cross country

Hey jasemom, I have experience coaching youth runners, I'd be more then willing to provide a schedule for your son. Absolutely free. You can go to my email on my profile and send me an email of you are interested. It's a solid program based on lydiard, daniels, Wilson's boweans program.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...