Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1005 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 8:58 AM by Manny_A
Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
Feb 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2012 2:06 PM

Umpire corrects mistake, and then..

Yesterday, a something vague (to me) happened. In a local game, we had a runner on third. The catcher of the opponent sat close to the plate, and on a swing, his glove was touched by the bat. Blue called 'interference!', and sent B/R to 1st. Ok, so far, I think. Then, Blue sent the runner from 3rd to home,. Homeplate was touched, thus a run was scored. Runner off to dugout. Opponents manager spoke to the ump, he agreed, and ump ordered the runner back to 3rd.

Runner comes out of the dugout, and walks straight to 3rd base: without touchting homeplate first. Game continues.

What if the opposing team had made an appeal about the runner missing home plate? What should have been the correct decision?

Thanks!

Frank (NL)

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Aug 26, 2012 2:48 PM (in response to Frank_NL)

Frank_NL wrote:

Yesterday, a something vague (to me) happened. In a local game, we had a runner on third. The catcher of the opponent sat close to the plate, and on a swing, his glove was touched by the bat. Blue called 'interference!', and sent B/R to 1st. Ok, so far, I think. Then, Blue sent the runner from 3rd to home,. Homeplate was touched, thus a run was scored. Runner off to dugout. Opponents manager spoke to the ump, he agreed, and ump ordered the runner back to 3rd.

Runner comes out of the dugout, and walks straight to 3rd base: without touchting homeplate first. Game continues.

What if the opposing team had made an appeal about the runner missing home plate? What should have been the correct decision?

Thanks!

Frank (NL)

This is correct and there is no need to re-touch home plate.

Defensive manager correctly pointed out that the runner from third should not have been advanced.

Just re-place the runner where s/he belongs.

If the runner had been awarded advance bases, it is true s/he would have had to touch bases on the way to the final awarded base....

oops

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Aug 27, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to Frank_NL)

Rule 7.02 states that a runner does not have to retouch bases on his way back to his original base if the ball is dead under any provisions of rule 5.09.  Although 5.09 doesn't specifically mention umpire mistakes on base awards, it really should because they are situations where runners aren't held accountable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...