Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

572 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 3:48 PM by Jasko123 RSS
sapphiregal Expert 59 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 25, 2012 2:34 PM

Best Program to Prepare me for my first 10K!!??

Hi,

I have ran some 5K races and did Insanity and now am doing Turbofire. My sister in law just invited me and my other sisters and cousins to go for the 10K race in October! I would love to join! BUT I need to prepare for that!!!  Anyone know of a great program I could try to follow to prepare me for that!!??  Thanks!!

Jenene

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 26, 2012 3:48 PM (in response to sapphiregal)
    Best Program to Prepare me for my first 10K!!??

Hi Jenene,

Higdon and Galloway have plans that are well known and respected, so look at some of the online options and see if they might be a good match for you.  My "outside" advice would be to listen to your own instincts and extend the long run schedule to a comfortable level.  Speed intervals and tempo runs might also be of benefit, but just do not become discouraged if you have to vary off a specific routine because everyone is different. 

In general, I am not a huge fan of popular training schedules, however, they are very useful guidelines that produce results for many and the key element to best prepare is simply to discover your assets and potential areas of weakness.  That sounds silly, but just take a moment to evaluate your strongest areas and decide how those can translate into positive outcomes for longer distances.  That is the most basic answer and pushing out the miles at your own pace will bring a wonderful outcome for the 10K. 

You will do great...you have plenty of time.  If a walk/run/jog routine works best, then work on that...just find your personal element and remember race day brings out the best.

P.S.  Take a look at the course for your October event, and that might also give additional insight. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...