Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2951 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 7:35 AM by BOSNPM RSS
Monkey In The Middle Amateur 22 posts since
Sep 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2012 4:55 PM

2 months lapse in training for first marathon

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've completed 3 half marathons since 2010 (my last one was this past April with a finishing time of 2:30).  I'm obviously not a competitive runner.

I've been training to complete my first full marathon which takes place the first weekend in November.  The program I was following is a run/walk method.  I'm not looking to break any records, just finish it.  Last years slowest runner for this particular race came in just over 7 hours.  I can't imagine it would take me that long.

My last long run was back in June (16 miles and it took me 3.5 hours).  After that my weekends got consumed with other life events and here I am with the marathon just a few months away.  I continued to run but no more than 4-6 miles at a time, and of course I've had (and will have) a few 5/10k's in-between.

My question is this, should I continue where I left off?  My next long run needs to be 18 miles, or should I scratch it and start from the beginning and set my goal for a later marathon.  I have until the end of September to make this decision.

Also, I'm getting ready to sign up for spinning classes as my cross-training (I'll be doing this regardless if I continue to train for November).  Not sure if this info. is needed or not.

Thanks for your advice.

~ M.I.M.

Looking forward to this: http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/sandiego/

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

You should not go from 5-6 to 18!  You need to look at the plan and add say 10% for two weeks then go back down to where you started, then repeat.  Long road ahead!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

You could try something like this. Do 10 this weekend (Aug. 25).  Then do 12, 14, 10, 16, 18, 10, 20.  The 20 will be Oct. 13, leaving a 3 week taper.  This is a bit of a rush schedule, but if you complete it OK, you should be good to finish the marathon.  No records, mind you, but finishing.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

20 is usually enough. Your training runs are slower paced, so time spent is comparable (not identical though) to the time you'll spend on the marathon.  Also the training benefit of going farther is not worth the increased risk of injury as you tire for most runners.  Of course, getting to the marathon depends on these other runs going reasonably well.  Don't expect them all to be fantastic.  Some may not.  If you get through all of them in reasonably good shape, you'll be OK for the marathon.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

20 is the most you need to do.  I only do around 18 these days but I have a strange plan.  You will increase your chance of injury more than any benefit you would gain going over 20.  20 is all you need!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points