Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578551 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,765. Aug 26, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

9 miles 1 hr 20 min. Davis Mt. is a great run. 46 miles for the week.

Way to go Mel. Cover your feet in vasoline.

webpro nice long run

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,766. Aug 26, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to NHLA)

7.7 mi. in 2 hrs. Was supposed to be 65-85 but was 96. How do I order some rain? Strong for 2.5 n rarely felt I was breathing too hard but am now prone and likely to stay that way. Sorry, Snerb. Hope you figure out what caused your bonk and leave it behind. NHLA - Yay, You!! R u kidding? You've been a Maniac for months. Someone grab a hose cause Melody is on fire!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,767. Aug 26, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to NHLA)

Underwear. I'm talking about it. Fair warning.

Sox: Melody, and guys, - Balga socks! They run about $14 and are worth every penny. Only one seam and I have never felt it. Have tried others but always come back. The first pair I bought last year look no different from the new ones I bought at expo in May. No fraying or worn spots.

Panties: I have got to stop dressing in the early morning and go back to picking clothes out the night before. Today it was cotton panties with elastic legs. Ouch. Am walking like an old cow hand. Crotch burn. VS boy shorts are perfect.

Compression shorts (women). L'eggs sells a Spanks knockoff at Walgreens for $7. I've needed to truss up the middle and this is working well because it comes above the waist. They are a struggle to get into and need shorts. Target has Assets which is pricier but easier to use. Beyond my special needs, just being trussed up has been more comfortable during runs although it's hard to say why.

Can anyone suggest a good bra for an ample chest? Started with Walmart specials and now everything sags. There are so many choices with high prices. I just want to keep the girls from moving, be able to put it on without help and be able to stand up straight.

Run strong this week!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,768. Aug 26, 2012 4:28 PM (in response to mkayc)

MKay GIVE ME A BREAK "Girl Talk" Panties, Compression shorts,Spanks, Bra's !,,,,,,

anyway MY better half said check out Fiona 's she has same issue.

NHLA Great mileage week. your progress is awesome.

melody Lea You just keep kicking it up notch by notch way to go.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,769. Aug 26, 2012 5:29 PM (in response to mkayc)

Best bra- moving comfort. Several companys make shorts with compresion shorts built in.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,770. Aug 26, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Tony-way to go on the 24 miler!  You just keep raising the bar.

Melody-excellent job with the 12 mile run. 

The long slow run didn't happen this weekend.  Friday a little sore throat developed into bad head cold and spent most of the day laying around.   Ugh!  some better today, made it to church but no shaking hands!  Hoping to start back with a weekday 4 miles and work toward the long run next Saturday. 

Have  a great week all!  Keep posting-it's great encouragement.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    3,771. Aug 26, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good day - I waddled South Lakes 10K - fund raiser for XC team at South Lakes HS.  dodged rain drops this morning and posted 1:12:55 for 10K.  I faded a bit as I was at 34 Min at the 5K point.  I also managed to actually run part of each KM - a first since knee injury this spring.  overall pace was 12:35/mile.

Hoping to keep the momentum as knee starts to feel better.  I actually had couple of days were I was remarking that I was actually pain free.  Been quite a while since I could say that.

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,772. Aug 26, 2012 7:54 PM (in response to NHLA)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Wow I manage to get out of town for a couple of days and I have pages of posts to read!  Love it!  (But if I miss anyone it's just because I'm scrolling through 3+ pages.)

6xchampsfan - so happy you're back.  My calf is (dare I say it?) 100%better - I hope yours is doing well.

BigSlade - I usually head out between 5:00 and 5:30 am - I think I just noticed  how dark it's started getting that early (it was also rather overcast that day).  I guess I just miss the early sunshine.  Bad runs happen. The next one will be better.

EMTTrix - you are rocking it girl!  Both on the run and on the job.  I'm glad you're back.

CKLindsay - keep us posted on the dr. appt and feel better soon!

jmsab23 - if you hurt the hill enough times it will start to beg for mercy - don't listen to it - kill the hill!  Condolences on the treadmill.  Hope your daughter's race went well.

chell - you are getting it done and making great progress.

AlfNiner - welcome back.  Take care of that ankle (oh I know ankles and not for good reasons).  Best to Terranss and prayers for his wife's recovery. 

degregorius - don't worry - it's all good.

NRDgirl - "Only had 13 miles this morning." LOL only 13 - you are kicking it. Good luck with the 20.

Tony - you are putting in some amazing mileage - and getting up at some frighteningly early hours.  Loved the TM article   I'm going to have to order some knucklelights. I've  heard good things -and I hated running in a headlamp.

OldCoyote - consistency or no - you're still doing great in my book.

az1414  - feel better

MelodyLea - WooHoo on the 12 miler!!!  You are going to be so ready for your half!

MaryKay - you are doing fine - slow and steady.  Thanks for the clothing advice - I'll look into Balga socks. If I can pay $25 a pair for smartwool hiking socks (ouch) I can pay $14 for running socks (comfort is very important).   Actually, in the winter I run in my smartwool hiking socks - very comfy and my feet were never cold.  As for bras, do you have a local running store where you can try on a few models? 

NHLA-  you continue to amaze me.  I think that little pup deserves an extra biscuit and a scratch behind the ears.

justrundan - feel better soon.

Ogr44 - nice job on the 10k.  Slow and steady recovery is the way to go.

We spent 4 days camping at Lake Dennison.  I got in a 2 mile easy run Thursday -  2 laps around the campground is about 2 miles.  Hiking at Monadnock on Friday for a few hours. Got home Saturday afternoon.  Ran the Memphis Soul 5k BBQ Run this morning. It was hotter than I thought it would be.   It wasn't a PR, but considering I've been rebuilding my endurance after the calf strain very conservatively (I'm afraid to get hurt again) it was a respectable showing at 33:58 (my pr is 32:05).  And it did come with "bling", running Elvises, Memphis Soul music, and BBQ afterwards.  It will be a lower mileage week, but I'm aiming for 10 next Sunday.

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,773. Aug 27, 2012 7:58 AM (in response to Webpro11)

WebPro11: 24 miles???? This will be my first marathon, so I am planning to go over 20 miles in training--either 22 or 23--but 24? What distance will your last long run be before Chicago?

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,774. Aug 27, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi everyone!

Ran 6 miles, 1:15:15 ........ ugh!!! Hate 'starting' all over again!! But throat is still irritated and the hard breathing didn't help.  Been drinking hot OJ/cider with cinnamon all morning, feels better but not sure if I should just wait ANOTHER week when I am back in northern AZ to start running again.  I can't stand this muggy, clammy climate (sorry, midwesterners) ........... need more time to adapt I'm sure. 

I want to run a HM in Sept and another in Oct (NM) which I know I can do once I start training again consistently.  I'm gonna take this one day at a time .....

Bigslade:  been there, done that .......... when your feet feel like cement and absolutely no energy to even start.  I just go home or walk and start again the next day.  I think our body knows when to shut down for some rest; I know I have to make myself LISTEN to my body ........... as runners, we tend to run to feel better, right?  Hope you pick up where you left off.  Better days ahead.

NRDgirl:  My longest training run was also 24 miles about 3. 5 weeks prior to my first marathon as a 50th birthday present to myself (52 now).......... on a treadmill, no less!!!  YES, way!!  Was visiting in-laws in North Dakota in DEC so had no other choice, haha!  I ran trails for my training runs for most of my races, including an 18 miler (longest due to knee injury) for my 2nd marathon, mostly in northern AZ and in Phoenix. I think it depends on the individual but I didn't want to reach my 'peak' too soon before my marathons and that is what I asked of Webpro but I think he is really keeping his training on the track.  He's gonna rock that marathon!!!

I know you will too!!  GOOD LUCK!!  that is soooo exciting.

I am trying to train for my 3rd marathon, DEC or Jan.

Everyone else:  you're all inspirational and keeping me from getting too discouraged!!  Thanks! 

Run safe and healthy!! 

Trail runner

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,775. Aug 27, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Today 16 miles in 2hrs & 24 minutes.

A couple of things accomplished. a) dragged my keester out of bed early, and was running on the lakefront trail by 7am CST.  b) continuous running without worrying about oncomming traffic, etc. c) it's nice to get on the Lakefront trail on an early week day morning before 10 bazillion runners & cyclists clog the place. d) even when I headed back West on Roscoe & then Addison Ave., thee were plenty of stretches of uninterrupted running.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,776. Aug 27, 2012 2:50 PM (in response to degregorius)

man, oh, man!  I don't post for a week and there are 3 pages of all out accomplishments by everyone, from personal records on long runs, to recovery from time off, and that oh so special undergarment discussion from mkayc!!!  BTW, my wife has similar issue and had to get a special running bra from running store for about $50...expensive, but it works!

With so many posts to reply to that most have already covered, I will keep it simple and say "Whoot, whoot" to all!  What an awesome group!

Quick summary of my last week:

KILLED my track workout on Tuesday in Northern VA as local HS football, field hockey, and track teams all practiced on the field.

4.5 miles easy on Wednesday on campus of VA Tech as sun was coming up.  Got so inspired seeing the Corps cadets all out running in perfect cadence and chanting, hooting, hollering, that I lost track of time and almost missed my meeting.  Really good run though.

Thursday was not as good a track workout but still got in over 6 miles and left all that I had on the track.

HS buddies were in for the weekend from Philly ffor golf and drinking, so wasn't sure if I would get any runs in but to my surprise had really good runs both Saturday and Sunday, with 5.5 "hard" miles Saturday and 13.1 "easy" miles yesterday.  New PR for the week of 36.2 miles!

Off to TX now for 1 night but refuse to subject myself to the humidity tomorrow so will try my "track" workout on the TM and see how that goes.

Keep up the good work, all!  And stay fearless!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,777. Aug 27, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Would also like to throw out a couple of ideas to get group think:

Stride rate - have been reading about this for a long time, and have very intentionally made a shift to 180 striders per minuts over the last three weeks.  Seems to really work as it causes me to shorten my stride and as a result use less energy to go the same pace.  Trick to this seems to be maintaining this frequency at all speeds.  Anyone else messed around with this or have thoughts?

Engaging the glutes - as the biggest muscle in the body, have read that this is a neglected part of many runner's training and that strong glutes also reduce the amount of energy expended.  Saw a tip that said to "flip the heel" at the end of the back stride, which in turn causes the glute to engage, helps with better knee lift and promote a more efficient stride.  First couple of times I did this, I went home really "feeling it" afterward but now it seems to be more natural.  Again, anyone else tried this or have thoughts to share?

• NuRunnr Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    3,778. Aug 27, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Did long, easy run yesterday (Sunday).  Two hours to cover 10 miles.  Was a nice 65 deg F out with slight breeze.  The only reason I stopped was a slight ache in my lower back. Go figure. Of all the places I thought I'd be sore, lower back just wasn't it.  Anyone else get ache in lower back?

45 yo

5'10" / 165 pounds

Nike pegasus 28s

Scott

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    3,779. Aug 27, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was 3 miles after a nap. It felt really good.

I also looked at last years finish times for a half marathon I signed up for. Looks like I'll be close to the last person to finish *sigh*

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...