Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7098 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 5:09 PM by Rich in NH RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Longtallsallee Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012

Hi nick, what would you recommend doing on recovery days? Is the elliptical or biking good or should I do something that doesn't use leg muscles?

Aug 25, 2012

Yes,of course. I guess I have heard the terms recovery and rest days both used.  I am 49 y.o. Female. I quit smoking 6 years ago after a 28 years and then proceeded to gain 50 plus pounds.  I started running early 2010 and ran( slowly) a 5k in summer of 2010. Lost 55lbs and continued running until last fall when I was plagued by what I assumed was shin splints, I kept trying to go back to running and shins would flare up instantly. So I switched to elliptical as a form of exercise.  Tore my ACL skiing in jan 2012 and had surgery and was given clearance to start running in June although I didn't start until August. I am not doing, c25k program I am doing a similar one that combines running and walking and gets me to 35min of continual running in 8 weeks.  I run 3 times a week. I just ran week 5 day 2 which was 5m walk, 5m run, 3 m walk, 8m run, 3m walk, 5m run, 5 m cool down.  I have had no problems with my shins ( I now think it may have been I'll fitting shoes!). My knee swells some after run but no no real pain to speak of. I ice it down. I am 6'3" and 210#.  I would like to exercise at least 5 times a week but don't want to do snything that would inhibit rest/recovery process.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks niki

Aug 25, 2012

Thanks Nick, sounds like sound advice.  I have a pool so as long as the weather is good( I live in Indiana) I can do the pool running.  I will try the biking to and see how that goes. So excited to be on way to running again I don't what to mess it up with an injury but still have another 20# to lose.   But you are right, iveant to be running years from now!!  Ran 8min then 5 min walk then 8 min run today. Knee did okay. Saturday will try 10 min run, 3 min walk, 10 min run.  Thanks!!

• Debbie Kimbriel Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

I have asked this question in many forums and never gotten a single reply.  Maybe you can help.  How do I train for my halfs at the same time I train for the 5ks?  I am built for halfs and enjoy them, but 3 or 4 a year is ENOUGH!!  I am not very fast in the 5s and want to do better.  I am 55 and have been running for 2 years.  Walked the breast cancer 3-day (60 miles) for the 6 years before that, so strong leg muscles.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

You don't say what kind of training you're doing, but if you're maintaining the kind of mileage it takes to run a half, probably the only thing you need to change is the way you're doing speedwork.  Training for a 5K would include shorter intervals run at a quicker pace.

Here's an invitation to bring this question to the Boomers and Beyond forum for a more detailed discussion...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• kuristy Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 9, 2012

Hi Nick (and friends),

I'm glad to see this post - I've been trying to get into running for awhile.  I am 30 and healthy, 5'2" and 117 lbs.  I work out at the gym and seem to have pretty good endurance - I usually use the ellipitcal or a similar machine at a fast pace for about an hour 5 days/week and it doesn't tire me out.  However, when I try to do the same on the treadmill, after just a couple of minutes of running I am out of breath and have to stop running.  What gives?  I don't even think I can make it a mile, its quite sad, really.  I know you said its best to start out walking and go from there - do I still have to do that if I am used to going at a running-pace on other machines?  Thanks for your help!

• terinee Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007

I most definitely want to be a lifetime runner.  But right now, I just want to get back into running again.  I was running back in 2007/2008, and since then have gained 75lbs.  In January 2012, I did my first half marathon since I gained the weight and I was at my heaviest weight.  My half marathon time was 4 minutes slower per minute than my full marathon times back in the day.  I want to get back into it, but it seems so hard.  Even when I was running before it never came easy.  I look at others who seem to just glide across the sidewalks for their evening runs... and wonder will I ever be a "runner" like I want to be?...

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

kuristy- I don't have near the experience of Nick, but I think you are just experiencing the difference between the two machines and how hard they make you work. I would try running outside and just going at a pace that feels comfortable, whether it is walking or a slow jog.  the quickest way to lose the desire to be a runner is too much too fast, to the point where you get injured or you just don't enjoy it.  Nick would tell you more.  Good luck!

terinee- I've been at this for about 18 months now, and I certainly don't glide effortlessly, although some appear to.  You can get back to where you were, but it will take lots of time and patience.  Best wishes on the changes you are making.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Traviloni Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2012

Hi Nick,

Good to meet you, Decades of running is impressive, and I would like to get there myself. I am very new to running (about 6 months). I started working out in the gym mainly on the elliptical and going strong on that for  40 min. to hour stretches, however, I was drawn to the treadmill and I would put in a mile or so in addition to the elliptical. Over the next couple of months I was doing about 3 3.5 stretches on the treadmill. One day I started getting pain in my left knee, and though symptoms go away after a week or so, as soon I run again It comes back within a half mile. I'm very sidelined and now only exercise a few times week because all I want to do is run (I can't go back to the elliptical after getting a good taste of running). Needless to say, I am very down about this. I want to run and run for years to come. I don't know what the heck happened. A running friend whose experience I trust says to get good running shoes from a specialty store, as her three injuries cleared up this way. By the way, I'm 38, and putting the cigs down for good on Oct. 28th of this year. Nick I really want this (running), and any advise, or encouragement would help.  Travis...

• Traviloni Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 13, 2012

By the way, I run on a $30 pair of Payless running shoes, no races (marathons, God, I hope so in the future though), and no outdoor running. Sigh...

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

@kuristy - I think what you'e noticing is the difference between standing in one place just moving your legs without actually lifting your body weight (elliptical), and hauling your whole body weight around while (hopefully smoothly) leaping from foot to foot (running).  A couple of suggestions on the running part: slow down, it makes a big difference; and/or, do a run/walk program like Couch to 5K (C25K at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml).

@Traviloni - The shoes might be a big part of the problem. How old are they? How broken down?  Also, where is the pain (be as specific as possible)?  Different pains have different causes, and fixes.  And work on strengthening the muscles around the knees, particularly quads and hamstrings, which help stabilize the knees.

Len

Len

• cutiemet Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010

Hi my name is Christina. I'm 18 and I've been running for a couple years. I originally started to get in shape and now it's become my way of handling stress. I ran a marathon in May in 4:02. I'm not planning to run another for a couple years, but I'd really like to get faster and run like a 3:30. I find it really hard to keep the motivation to run sometimes, and I cannot seem to get past speed barriers. Is it because I've gotten too accustomed to a certain pace? I also don't have much time to workout because I go to school full-time. Running is becoming more of a chore. I really want to be a lifelong runners so how can I make it more enjoyable and increase my speed and endurance for long runs?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...