Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2114 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 7:32 AM by Rich in NH RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 28, 2012 7:52 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    How can a runner build up his "shock absorbers"?

Hi Rich, Jim and DH,

IIRC Admiral Grace Hopper said "It's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission".  So, if you're running at a fitness center, like Nike says in their ads, Just do it. 

Jim, yes I can verify that it is easy to get blisters running on the treadmill, but you can feel your feet getting sore.  The first time I ran barefoot on the treadmill made it about a mile before I knew it was time to stop and I had been running in the vibrams for a couple of months so my feet were somewhat prepared.  These days I can do slightly more then 2 miles in barefeet before the heat/roughness of the treadmill gets me.  Outside I usually run in vibrams, tho did where a hole in one pair and ended up running a couple miles outside barefoot.  I like to go faster, so usually where the vibrams.

DH as an alternative to barefeet you can wear socks (do that sometimes as well).  I can run 3-4 miles in socks on the treadmill.  The main thing is that if you go this route is take it slow.  Running barefoot on the treadmill will naturally limit the tendancy to do too much too soon.  At least, in my experience.

Colloidal Mineral Suplements?!  Who knew...

Ray

• velocityJ Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 7, 2012
    16. Aug 28, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

I just read this article on the running phsyio blog that talks about the concept of modifying your activities to get over a chronic injuries:

http://www.running-physio.com/pacing/

It's written with regard to back pain and running but I think the basic premise could apply to most conditions that have been going on for years. You mentioned having a long history of being injured. Your nervous system may be sensitive to any increase in activity as a conditioned protective response that's something you may have to work slowly to overcome. 

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    17. Aug 28, 2012 8:55 PM (in response to velocityJ)

Hey VJ:

Thanks for posting that article!  Fascinating read.  It helps put in context why coming back from chronic injuries can be so frustrating.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    19. Aug 29, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Lot's of good stuff in that article, thanks for sharing VJ.

DH, do you think the "heightened sense of pain" the article describes is what you're dealing with?   It doesn't seem likely if you're getting hurt, the pain you're experiencing is your body telling you to back off for good reason..

At any rate, it'll be interesting how you recover after yesterday's run.  If you bounce right back, you may be onto something, eh?

And I admire the way you keep plugging away, it can't be easy...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...