Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

738741 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 ... 327 Previous Next
  • 6three76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,780. Aug 27, 2012 6:23 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Anytime I can get out and run it is awesome, so my last run was awesome! 

Running and website design. My greatest loves.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,781. Aug 27, 2012 9:25 PM (in response to NRDgirl)
    My last run was...how was yours?

NRDgirl Chicago will be my first FULL Marathon. I was originally planning on running it hard and finishing between 4:15 to 4:30. I have since decided to concentrate on endurance for my first not speed. I want to finish injury free. I have been training on my long runs at 12mm. So I decided to do 3 runs slow over 20 miles. I have 2 under my. my last one will be on September 15th 26 miles three weeks before race day.  2 months before my 60th birthday. then it's time to taper. Hopefully my plan will work. I felt so good on my last run I felt like I did something wrong ??? Hopefully training at a slower pace has just increased my endurance.

Looking forward to seeing you at the finish line. your training seems to be right on schedule.

Az1414 ugh !!!!! Hope you get back to feeling yourself real soon. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You have plenty of time for both your races. You really haven't lost that much endurance. I remember how fast you ran last year after very little training. This year will be even better. Take another week slow . maybe a bike instead "not Harley ". Until your felling 100%

Linuscatch what do you get when you combine a few beers, golf, and Philly friends ? an awesome week. Invite them back soon!!,!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,782. Aug 28, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.5 miles at a 9:00 pace last night.

Warm again here this week.  89 when I got home from work at 4:00p, I ate an early, light supper and left the house at 7:45p.  The temp cooled right away after the sun started going down, felt excellent the whole route.  After that I'm really looking forward to running in cooler weather again.  It's amazing how hot and humid weather can make you feel like you're pulling a plow.

Excellent mileage everyone.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,783. Aug 28, 2012 1:01 PM (in response to 6three76)

6three76:  that's a good attitude!!  wonderful that you don't have off days ........

Webpro:  thanks for the encouragement - Ran 6.1 miles this morning, 1:07:02!! with 1 minute walk breaks every two miles - feeling much better, YAY!!  Yeah, should take my mt bike out for a spin.

mkayc:  no topic off limits here, haha!!  try on different brands, jump around in the dressing room, pay for the comfort, it will be well worth it ........ believe me!!  Sometimes you can find similar or same brands online for less $$ when you know which ones work for you.

BTW:  we are moving into our new home this Friday, have to move all our stuff AGAIN, it's exciting yet hectic.

Running to deal with the stress ...... all good!! 

Trail runner

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,784. Aug 28, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to linuscatch)

I bought a metranome off the Pose website and used it to time cadence. 180 feels very fast at first. Don't do this more than  two miles at the time until it becomes part of your running.

5.5 miles 48 min 25 up & 23 down Ecco Mt. Fog in the valley but clear up high.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,785. Aug 28, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to NHLA)

Linus, I just started using Perfect Cadence, a free metranome for iPhone. It made me slow down, NHLA. I really need more muscles. Anyway, I'm looking for another that I can use with timing, since I run/walk. Your travel and runs sound so enjoyable! 

Ogre, nice to see you! You are doing awesome. Take it as it comes.

Thanks for the bra suggestions, guys. This all started with my love of socks and I probably should have stopped there but I will definitely get one from Moving Comfort because I love their shorts and shopping with Zappos.

You are all recording some awesome mileage and accomplishments!! It's great to see. I can't wait to be back on track. All you new folks who think you are so slow, I'll be there behind you. I'm not happy about it but change rarely happens overnight and it's great to be running!!

Run strong and fierce! 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,786. Aug 28, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to mkayc)

I ran a brief little (2.5 mile) "recovery run" this morning. Felt a little fatigued from Sunday's 12 miler, but finished feeling great and looking forward to my next run.

BigSlade Bummer about the bad run. We all have those and tomorrow is another day!

NHLA Thanks for the tootsie tip! And as always, great runnin'.

mkayc "Someone grab a hose cause Melody is on fire!" <~ LOL, thanks. Also, thanks for recommending the Balega socks! I snagged myself a pair yesterday. They should arrive in a few days. Yay

Webpro11 Thanks for your great support.  And, "endurance for my first not speed" <~ That is where I'm at for my half marathon. I just want to finish feeling good and not get injured. The speed will come on the next half marathon.

justrundan Bummer about the cold, buddy! Hope you kick it soon.

Ogr44 Very nice 10K! So glad to hear the knees are healing.

Debm2011 Thanks, Deb! Really nice job on the 5k, and so glad the calf strain is improving.

az1414 Feel better and be patient with yourself. (I now, easier said than done) Congrats on the new house!

degregorius Wow, nice job! Sounds like a really plasant run too.

linuscatch 36.2 mile week, oh...yeah!!

NuRunnr Nice long run. Yep, I get a sore back sometimes. I find that happens when I'm tensing up or stressing during a run. I've learned to relax a bit more and have less back pain. Hope that helps.

6three76 I hear ya! "Anytime I can get out and run it is awesome, so my last run was awesome!"

Snerb So true!! "It's amazing how hot and humid weather can make you feel like you're pulling a plow."

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

Jun 8, 2011
    3,787. Aug 28, 2012 10:04 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

1 hr on TM, 30 min hills n 30 3:1 *speed* intervals. 4 mi. Used 180 cadence and was surprised that hr never went above 135 and when I lost the cadence, my pace sped up. At the end I was bored tired but not wasted or breathless. Was running my race pace (13.37) so at the end I tried 5 min at 12:00. Only effect was feeling winded and strained. Hr was still good at 143. must have been the cadence?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    3,788. Aug 29, 2012 4:00 AM (in response to mkayc)

Well after not running all weekend or Monday. I got out there yesterday with a short 2 miler in 24:31. It was later in the morning and the humidity wasn't good but I made it through. 

I got up at 5 am today to make up for a missed day.  3.5 in 42:29.  I'm more excited that my only stop was around 2.38 to tie my shoe.  I know I'm getting stronger. 

I've been on a personal journey mentally lately and I have to say that my running has been helping me clear my mind and get me focused every morning. 

I hope everyone is doing well with their runs!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,789. Aug 29, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to chell730)

chell:  great work!  Running can be so therapeutic...

melodylea:  Great job on the 12 miler!  Whoot!!!  There was a great article in the active.com newsletter about "recovery runs" and what they really do.  I was surprised and very interested to learn how these work as part of a training routine.

snerb:  "feelis like pulling a plow"  LOL!  Understand that feeling for sure!

nrdgirl:  grats on the 18 miler...awesome!

jmsab:  bummer about your TM...will just have to go keep conquering "your hill"!  How is caleb doing?

alfniner:  will keep terranss in our thoughts and prayers.  Please tell him we are all thinking of him and his wife.

bigslade:  "run failure"...we have all been there and done that...way to come back from it though!

igotwings:  don't look at other's times as there will always be someone faster, and someone slower than you.  Focus on enjoying the race and feeling strong at the finish line!

nurunner:  suggest stretching hamstrings more and doing some core strengthening for sore lower back....good luck!

degregorious:  nice 16 miles, and very good pace!

az414:  hope you are feeling better....maybe the new home will cure all your ills!  Good luck with move in...

debm:  nice job on the 5k!  And good luck with the 10 miler this weekend.

ogr"  "pain free" is all good...glad to hear it!

justrundan:  bummer about missing LR last week...hope you are feeling better and back at it by now.

webpro:  awesome 24 mile LR!!!  Weekend with friends was great, but have to admit would have been better with some "Philly cheese steaks"!

mkayc:  Great TM workout and very nice, low HR...wish I could get mine that low.  And keep that cadence at 180 whenever you can as you will expend less energy if you can.

NHLA:  I have been using a Garmin foot pod which shows cadence on my watch and records to the running log so I can see changes over time.  Have worked up to the 180 over last couple months and can maintain for just about any duration run now.  Great pace up and down the mountain... as usual.

Yesterday's indoor TM workout to avoid the TX humidity didn't exactly work out as planned.  Turns out the TM wasn't calibrated correctly so was actually running my "speed (sort of comical to refer to anything I do as speedy)" intervals faster (accoriding to my Garmin footpod which I have calibrated correctly) than the TM showed so was using way more energy than planned.  Couple that with the fact that the air conditioning in the hotel fitness center was not working and it resulted in having to walk some of the recoveries.  Was sweating so profusely that I actually wished that I was outside at that point.  When it was all said and done, did 1 mile warmup, 2x (800@7:40, 400@7:50, 200@7:50, 1 miles @8:50) with recovery jogs/walks of half interval distance between each, and then 1 mile cooldown.

6.6 tough miles all in.

This morning went out with mrs linus who has been struggling with her last week of c25k and got her to run 35 minutes non-stop, then went on for another 1.5 miles of "recovery" run.  Very low HR at 130 bpm avg and could feel that a lot of other muscles had been worked.

Have a great running week, and stay fearless in all that you do!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    3,790. Aug 29, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MelodyLea: 12 miles! You rock girlie, did your teen run with you that time? lol

Jmsab23: Firefighter One has amp'd up a bit, or so I was told.  The second practical day after doning drills we were running the CPAT...confined space, sledge hammer, pike pole station, ladder raises, dummy drag and all in full gear and SCBA!  Second day!  Just sayin' lol wow.  Do you still volunteer?

NHLA: Thanks for the trail running tips, I am hitting Lowe Lake trail this weekend!  I'm pretty excited to add something new to my training regiem.

MKayC: I'm still alive and kickin' and from what I read you are doing well in your running goals.  Way to go on your achievements over the summer.

DebM: Thank you, and wtg on your 5k.  Go get that 10 miler this weekend, you're gonna kill it!

Hoping to squeeze in a mini run between work and school tonight...it has been so hot and humid at 4:30 it has made my runs almost dreadful =( So ready for fall!  cool crisp afternoon runs, thats where its at!  and of course the colors changing and all that is beautiful.  Registered for Monster Dash in Chicago...its amazing to think last October I started this running adventure with that event. 

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,791. Aug 29, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to EMTTrix)

mkayc chell730 linuscatch and EMTTrix Great work!!

My mother in law passed away rather suddenly today...I can barely breath from sadness right now.
    I hope to keep running through this grief. I found that to be invaluable when my own mother passed two years ago.

Thanks for being there everyone.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,792. Aug 29, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My runs have not been so awesome lately.  After I did my personal best 9 miles on 8/5 things took a huge nose-dive.  I already knew I would not get my long runs on 8/12 & 8/26 due to out of town trips, but I also failed to make my long run on 8/12 and have no one to blame but myself.  My during-the-week runs have also suffered, and my first half-marathon is only 3.5 weeks away!! 

My plan is to do the best I can, walk as much as I have to, but no matter what I will FINISH.

Just this weekend my Deal Athletic Supporter made plans to go help his friends re-roof the cottage we were visiting, sort of as a thank-you for always letting us stay there when we visit.  Roofing will be taking place... you guessed it, the same weekend as my race.  I gave him my blessing, since he does not go do 'guy things' all that often and can probably use the break from me, but that means I will not have a cheerleader in my corner that day.  Ah well, it could be worse, I could not have him in my life at all!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,793. Aug 29, 2012 4:45 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 61 min.

So sorry Mel.

Jun 8, 2011
    3,794. Aug 29, 2012 5:52 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Mel, I am so sorry for your loss! It is hardest when people die suddenly. Feel free to share when things get rough. Grief can be so troublesome!

Oshkosh, so sorry you are struggling. Thank goodness it's a problem with time and life and not an injury or illness. I can relate. My HM is the week after yours and my longest run has been 7.7 mi. I don't know what I'm going to do because I've DNF'd once and never want to do that again. Mine's on a trail and pollen is high here. Re: running without your supporter, if you have an iPhone, with Runmeter app he can follow your progress on a map through the race or you can txt and send pix to keep him in the loop.

NHLA, like the wind!

EMT, look how your speed has improved! There's hope for me yet.

Linus, those are some great times! Complaining about your speed? I've never broken 8.

Chell, good job! Running is the best medication I've found for the mind ever and I'm an ex-hippie. After the last month, I'd trade a runner's high for morphine any day.

Mary Kay

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...