Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2052 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 11:49 AM by BOSNPM RSS
melwitte@rochester.rr.com Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2012 9:27 AM

Calf strain week before taper.

I strained my calf doing a track workout this past Monday.  This is my last big training week before taper for Montreal Marathon on 9/23.  I took Tues and Wed off.  Ran 5 this morning and calf is irritated again.  Wanting advice from fellow runners. This is my 12th marathon and I am a coach (a little embarassing as I probably already know the answer here but my "coach brain" is fighting with my "runner's brain")

Should I pass on the last big long run and settle in to my taper giving my calf time to heal?  Or should I try to get a long run in next week?  I have already run 6 - 20+ runs for this training.

Talk to me fellow runners.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009

I'm running my 12th marathon in Oct.

My suggestion -- with 6x20+ mile runs in -- you're done with your long runs.

Get the leg healthy. Plan to even take the next week off. You'll have more than enough time to get your breath back after taking a week off.

Another long run is not going to help you for this marathon. Health is the key.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    Re: Calf strain week before taper.

I did the same thing this past spring a month before a half marathon I really wanted to run.  My first suggestion is to stay away from soft footing.  There's a railtrail not far from my place and after the weather's been dry for a while the dirt can be almost like running on the beach.  I tried running there and no matter what pace I ran the soft footing aggravated my calf.

Active recovery is the way to go though, keep moving with walks and throw in a little jogging.  Ride a bike as a way to cross train.  I also iced my calf regularly as well.

I just looked at my log and I injured mine on a Saturday.  The next day I did a walk / jog for 3 miles, did the same thing the following day, walk / jogged 4 miles the next day and rode the bike 5 miles, the following day was a Wednesday and I walked / jogged another 4 and rode the bike 6, same thing on Thursday.  Friday I ran 4 miles at an easy pace,  Saturday I ran 7 and Sunday I ran 5.

I was actually feeling pretty good, so much so that I re-injured the thing when I ran Monday...lol  Long story short I went back to re-habbing with the walk / run routine and bike rides and did eventually run the half and set a course PR for myself.

It looks like you'll probably lose a week's training, but you could adjust your first week of taper and maybe run a little more than you'd planned that week.  As far as the last 20 miler, I think I'd pass.

Good luck!!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 30, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

+1 on taking time off to rehab. Six 20-milers is probably too many anyway. Use a foam roller or "the stick" or something similar on it (always roll toward your heart).  Your primary goal now is to get to the start healthy.

This article may help.  http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_%20Heart_%20Attack.htm

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Aug 30, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Skip it and go see your PT for some active release ASAP!  Do the same thing you would tell your clients to do!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points