Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2498 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 5:20 PM by DogCrazy1966 RSS
MizT Amateur 22 posts since
Jan 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2012 1:47 AM

C25K again

Back on the C25K again and this time I will continue to run.  Last time I completed the programme and after a few weeks I did less and less running because of the winter.  This time I am going to keep it going.

Week 1 day1 completed yesterday and don't feel any different, which can only be a good sign.  Do need to loose a few pounds so hope the additional exercise will help.  I have some kettlebells and should start to swing them for 30 mins or so on my days off.

Who is on the programme ?  What week are you on  ?  do you do other exercises?  is so, what and how often?

Oh, I am 45 and live in the UK, the weather is not kind to us so sometimes I use my treadmill.  Going to start the first few weeks on the tm before I venture outside again.

Miz T

Small steps lead to great things.
Walk before you jog, jog before you run, once you can run you are free.
P1030169a.JPG
  • Longtallsallee Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    2. Aug 29, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

Hi Miz T.  My name is niki, I am 49 and I live in Indiana, USA.  I am not doing c25k but am doing a very similar program called 5k runner which takes you to running 35 min over a 8 week period.  I did a similar program about 2 1/2 years ago and ran up until late last fall when I got bad shin splints and then in Jan I tore my ACL skiing and had to have knee surgery. I missed running (even though I am quite slow) and am excited to be back at it.  I just finished week 5.  W6d1 will consist of a 10 min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run.  I ran 8r, 5w,8r today and have to admit I struggled the last minute or so (knee was fine, out of breath) But, I am going to try the w6d1 and if I can't then I will redo w5d3.  My son has a serif kettle bell he doesn't use, maybe I will give them a try as I am trying to drop a few pounds too.  Sounds like you are progressing well!  Happy running :)

• gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 21, 2012
    4. Aug 30, 2012 1:43 PM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

Hi guys - I am new runner too so glad to hear that someone is on the same track as me I am on week 5 but not really following the guidelines (push myself - impatient) I can run 10min then walk 2 first mile and1/2 and then from there is gets harder doing about 3 min run then 2 walk on last mile & 1/2 doing 3.5 miles every other morning today I pushed hard very hot/humid in central FL but I feel good drenched in sweat when I am done.

On the days I don't run  I go to the gym and do the stationary bike or eliptical 30 min and weights -Oxygen Magazine great mag. to show you different moves with weight training for women and can do at home. maybe just walking if you don't do the gym on the days your not walking or bike ride.

Hope to hear from you some more on your progress I feel a little alone I read the blogs all the time trying to find someone who shares in this new challenge.

Aug 25, 2012
    6. Sep 2, 2012 9:54 AM (in response to gogolegs)
    C25K again

Hi guys :). I have been cross training on elliptical. My daughter and I going to start road biking once a week. We went yesterday for an hour, so much fun.  However my knee was quite swollen and sore last nite:(. But, I am determined to do my w6d1 run today.  I think I also need to increase my core strength so I am going try and fit in some weight work during the week.  How are you runs going? Happy running!

Aug 25, 2012
    8. Sep 4, 2012 6:46 AM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

I tore my ACL skiing in January and had to have surgery.  Was cleared for running in June but unable to run then because of pain.  Can run now without pain but my knee swells after but doctor said this would happen.  W6d2 run went great. Beginning to wonder if I am running to slow but I have been reading Long time Nick's threads and he is very insistent about keeping it slow at first. Weather is not good here either, high 80's and very humid(96% today). How did your w2d2 run go?

• Vallee10 Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    9. Sep 6, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

Hi Mizt, I too began C25K some time ago, then stopped running but stayed active w/ Tennis and Soccer.  I missed running so I decided this time, I can't get side tracked.

Like Longtallsalle, I am using the 5k runner program. I love it!  It is somewhat similar to C25k. I love the fact that I have it on my iphone and it tells me when to run, when to stop and walk, run, etc. makes it so much easier to work with. When I originally did C25K, there wasn't such a phone app.

Gogolegs,  I wish you luck. When I originally started C25k back when, I felt I was able to run more than they recommended on a particular run. Unfortunately for me, I got stuck at just under 3 miles and had a hard time pushing past that point. Maybe that is what caused me to stop running. Don't know. This time I promised myself to stick to the program and hopefully move forward to a greater distance.  So far,  so good. I still  feel a great sense of satisfaction at the end of my run even though I could probably push myself more.  Taking the motto, slow and steady....

Seems as if we are all in a similar age bracket. I am 47. Good luck everyone!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    10. Sep 8, 2012 8:06 AM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

I am also re-doing the C25K plan.

I first went through the program  starting back in Oct. of 2009.-Cruised through it without difficulty ,built up my base and eventually did a Half  Marathon a year later in Oct. 2010

My Half. time was disappointing- I think I did too much ,too fast for my age and weight- I injured myself training for the Half-and quite frankly I limped  from mile 2 untill the finish.

I took about 6 weeks off after the Half to try and heal up--and I ran pretty consistantly from then untill January 2012

this past January a bad kidneystone/surgery situation through me out of action for over 3 months----and  by the time I was able to resume running-well let's say it was just easier  NOT to resume running, LOL.

At any rate- I am  re-doing the C25k  plan now-and I am doing it with a running partner- my 4 year old  Labrador Retriever Annie.

Annie has run with me in the past- but she was younger then and more rambunctious---since then she has gone through basic obedience training, settled down and works well on and off lead so every outing is much more enjoyable

I am 50 now-and I am a pretty big guy, which largely accounts for my dis-appointing Half time in 2010. I am thinking of doing another half marathon in either 2013 or 2014-and knowing now, what I didn't fully know THEN, I think this next Half will be more successfull,

Stephen

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    11. Sep 8, 2012 5:20 PM (in response to MizT)
    C25K again

Good luck!!!  I have had great luck doing kettlebell swings on my off days.  I feel like it's helping me do much better on my runs, strengthening my legs and back.    I use a 25 lb kettlebell, and do 3 sets of 20.  That gets my heartrate up.  I also do stairs whenever I can at work. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points