Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2167 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 2:04 PM by Jasko123 RSS
ebozzi Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2012 12:56 PM

My 1st half marathon is in Oct and....

I injured my knee about 2 weeks ago.  I saw an orthopedist a few days ago who took xrays and confirmed no damage, just wear and tear on my 39-year old body.  I was given a brand new knee brace and went for a 3 mile run/walk yesterday.  My knee had a sharp pain the entire time.  I had gotten up to 10 mile and now I can barely run 1.  Help!  Any suggestions as to how I can get back on track???

• MekelaM Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2012
    1. Aug 30, 2012 2:48 PM (in response to ebozzi)

I recently had slight damage to my left knee as well and after a mri confirmed that there wasn't any permanent damage, the doctor suggested two things.  Use  Kinesio tape, (just google and you get a load of information, its that athletic tape you see players wearing on tv), it has really helped to support my knee and reduce any inflammation.  And the second suggestion was to use Arctic gel (I have a little arthritis).  And by all means listen to your body and rest when it tells you to.  Start by walking a few minutes, jogging a few minutes and work your way back to those 10 miles.  Good luck!

• JavierVilchis Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    2. Oct 2, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to ebozzi)

Ebozzi,

I'm sorry to hear about your knee, I had the same kind of problem when I started running about 4 years ago. I was thinking that it was more than just a tear in my outer meniscus to the point that I was looking about surgery. Thank fully, after a bit more research and questions to my wife(physical therapist). I found out that the Iotivial Band also known as IT Band stretches vertically and almost never horizontally. Thus, manifesting itself by creating the sharp pain on the outer side of the knee. So, my wife suggested to get a foam roller(http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9911) and doing some exercises with it to soften/massage the IT Band. Also, icing the knee to get the swellness down and rest. I was back running in about 1 week. Then, I strenghten my hips and focused on my posture of running as well as my stride. Now, I have not felt that pain ever since. I hope this helps you as it helped me.

Good Luck!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Oct 2, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to ebozzi)

You might try adding some supplements like Glucosamine with MSM, Chondroitin, Celadrin or Synflex products.  These help with flexibility and reducing inflamation.  Also, give your knee brace time to adjust and see if leg/abdominal floor exercises (prior to running) to assist with the transition. 

You will probably be fine with the half this month...just do some extra cross-training and scale back a bit to reduce the stress on your knee.  The good news is that joints can rebound quickly with a little rest and a few changes. 

Wishing you all the best. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points