Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577384 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 ... 327 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,810. Aug 30, 2012 3:03 PM (in response to AlfNiner)
    My last run was...how was yours?

AlfNiner:  thank goodness for wives like yours!! LOL!!

degegarious: did you look around to see if anyone saw you?  That's the 'fun' part of trail running - been there, done that! haha!  Hope the elbow heals quickly.

Old Coyote:  life interferes when we least expect it but you sound like you are bouncing back.  Yes, 2/day can be more manageable when such days occur.

Chell & Oshcat:  You're doing awesome, keep it up!!

Trail runner

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,811. Aug 30, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to az2mn)

Melody - I am SO sorry for your loss.  HUGS to you.  Thank you for sharing Mom-in-Law's  bio - she sounds like an amazing woman.  And I can tell from the picture that you brought her great joy - she looked very proud of you.  More HUGS and prayers for you and hubby and all the family.

OldCoyote - prayers for your troubles - but I can tell that not only do you always land on your feet (at least metaphorically) but you are probably also a great source of strength for others.  Keep up the good work.

To everyone else - I see tremendous improvement, good times, hard work, a few stumbles, but great attitudes all around.  I'm proud to have each and every one of you in my running family.

Monday night was a hot, humid, slow 3.5 miles of "pulling a plow" around town.  I didn't know I could run that slowly.  I can't remember that last time I ran after work and I think I prefer the wee early hours.    Tuesday I turned 48 and had quite the adventure renewing my driver's license (the nearest RMV is closed because why?  computers down?  seriously?) and traveling 30 minutes out of my way to find an alternative location before I turned into a pumpkin.   My own fault for waiting to the last minute.  I made up to myself with Thai food, beer, and cupcakes after work.   My first run as a 48 y.o. was  nice 6.5 miles this morning.  I was planning on 5, but didn't map my route  in advance, modified one of my typical loops on the fly, so  that by the time I passed the pond I was already at 5 miles and still had1.5 to home.  I have to admit, miles 4 to 6.5 were my strongest. 

Be well my friends - and strength to those that need it. 

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,812. Aug 30, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Melody- your MIL bio is amazing-what a woman-you have every right to be so proud of her and to miss her so much!  Prayers for you.

Ran another easy 4 miles Tuesday and today; a little humid this morning @ 5, but the full moon setting over the trees to the west was just beautiful.  So glad I ran this morning; walking to the hospital over noon hour took my breath away.  How did it get to be 95 degrees so fast!?  Long run planned for Saturday, again.  It's gonna be warmand sunny, will probably take advantage of the trees at Devil's lake again! 

Finally put my money down and registered for the WO-ZHA-WA run half marathon in 2 weeks.  It's advertised as "Wisconsin's Oldest Long distance run", this being the 45th running.  (and this evening, after sending the check, I get an offer for a motorcycle ride to Northern Wisconsin with a good friend the same day-Ahhh!)

Good luck to all racing this weekend!

Run strong and safe (especially these early morning runs!)

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,813. Aug 30, 2012 7:12 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea sounds like your mother in law left you all with enough good memories to last a lifetime. cherrish them daily.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    3,814. Aug 31, 2012 5:23 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea: So sorry to hear of your loss Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  I hope you can find peace in happy memories, and the good times shared.

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,815. Aug 31, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to EMTTrix)

My run on Wed was a 5.5 mile treadmill run in 47:14.  I know they are better than nothing, but I really have more than about 4 miles on a treadmill.  I felt pretty good, much better than last Sunday when my long run fell apart.  This morning I stepped out for another predawn run and as soon as I stepped outside I was not looking forward to it.  I don't know how hot it was, but the humidity was very high due to the rain we are expecting from Issac.  About mile in my legs felt dead again.  I didn't feel like I had no energy like on Sunday so that was nice, but it was still a struggle of a run.  I finished 6.4 miles in 54:31.  My average pace through my first three miles was close to 9 min/mile, but I finished with a 8:33 min/mil pace.  I finished about a half mile sooner than I was planning due to my legs.  I'm not sure what is going on, but I think it has to be related to the modified Paleo diet I'm trying.  Oh well, looking to try and log a 11-12 miler on Sunday.  Keep up the good work everyone and Happy Friday!

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,816. Aug 31, 2012 8:35 AM (in response to az2mn)

Q: did you look around to see if anyone saw you?

A: I got back up and acted like nothing happened.  Emphasis on act. ;-)  Sometimes it helps to channel Buster Keaton.

My mind was racing around for remedies.  Would I need to pop my shoulder back into  place?  No.  It was jammed.  How bad?  I had PT on my shoulder several years ago, but that was for tendonitis, but as a result of outward motions. This was more of a jam inward, as if I had gotten a hard shoulder to shoulder charge playing while soccer. 

I ended up finishing my run, heading home, putting an ice pack on the shoulder, and later taking some ibuprofen. 

The shoulder's a bit sore, but I don't feel excessive pain when I move it around.

The ego- has it recovered?  I'll have to check with Blue Cross to see about coverage for ego bruises. :-)

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,817. Aug 31, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody - Thank you for sharing some of the amazing accomplishments from your MIL's life. My sympathy to you, your DH and family. Those clouds have a habit of coming when you least expect them but they do pass. I've read that sharing memories of good moments helps. Still working on that.

OC and AZ, thank you and I hear you. I have a very long stubborn streak so I'm training as if I can do the run and going to try the trail one or two weeks before and then decide about volunteering. It's a great idea! Actually I'm liking it the more I think about it. I could enjoy taking pix.

Off for training w Brad at the gym. Ran two 3 mi runs yesterday, both great, one for *speed* and one was hilly. I was so tired for the second run that the ladies I coach were pushing me! I love it!! Don't know how to plan this weekend's LSR w Isaac. Grrr

Be strong and fearless out their!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,818. Aug 31, 2012 7:29 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Wow.... no access for a few days. Like some races I've been in, I'm way behind.

First and foremost..... Melody. I can't imagine how much life your mother-in-law had in her. She sounds like she was a truly amazing woman. I am very fortunate to have two special in-laws still alive, both of whom have treated me like their own son for over 32 years. We are (finally) almost done the final matters of my mother's estate from last December, and as  much as I miss her and think of her, I'm blessed to have the in-laws I have, who don't have the resume your mother-in-law had, but who both exemplified hard work and true dedication to family. I am still learning so much from them.        My condolences to you and your husband.

Next important thing:   My daughter finished her 1st 5k last Sunday and is pumped up!!! I ran what I thought was a good race in some warm temps, finishing 45th overall out of over 540.   21:17 with a good finish for the final 1/4 mile or so. I found some water and my family, then I jogged back up the course and found my daughter only about 2/10 mile from the finish!! She was huffing and suffering from a dry mouth and a minor side stitch, but that was about it. We ran together for a ways, then I veered off and let her finish. She took off sprinting to the finish line!!! She was 28:32, good for 232nd place. Now she can't wait for next Saturday for our next one.

Got in 3 TM runs in the fitness center at the hotel in Anaheim. We were rushing around the full 3 1/2 days, so I didn't dare go out and try a run on roads I didn't know. Red Sox lost both games we went to. Park was nice.

Linus..... I found some free stretching videos on-demand on my cable network and one discussed several stretches to tighten up and use the glutes, and I think there were references to the same reasoning you said. I have yet to hear an update on Caleb. I'll make a call tomorrow. Thanks.

BigSlade.... are you stretching before your runs? Are you doing dynamic or static stretching?

EMTTrix.... I am no longer a volunteer. I retired 6 years ago when my knees and back (and day-job work schedule) wouldn't let me go any further. I did 21 years.

Chell..... Most Improved Runner award is in your sights!!!!!! Keep it up!!!

NHLA...... You make me think of a car ad.... Longest-running model still on the road....etc.  Terrific job!!!

Like others who have said it... there are so many good reports/stories here, keep it going, all!!!

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    3,819. Aug 31, 2012 8:16 PM (in response to jmsab23)

It's been quite awhile since was here, many miles on the bike since 1/2 last April. First and foremost-MelodyLea so sorry for your loss, our parents are the greatest mentors we have. I miss mine daily...  I felt it was time to start running again and this forum is part of that as well as signing up for my first marathon to give me a goal. I have ridden almost 2000 miles this summer so I didn't just quit cardio. I look forward to reading all your posts again as you all keep me motivated with your acomplishments. D.

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,820. Aug 31, 2012 8:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I am tapering. Walked 8 miles with Sandy till he jumped up in my arms and asked me to carry him home.

Great 5k Jimsab. How did you do in AG?

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    3,821. Sep 1, 2012 8:52 AM (in response to NHLA)

Melody, you and your family are in my prayers. I couldn't imagine losing my mother in law. She has become my mom since my bio mom is nuts.

I have to admit I am a wuss. We have a lot of humidity as we await the rain from Issac.  I didn't have the courage to run in it. So I ran on the treadmill. I told myself that I had to get half way through before stopping (2.5 miles of 5). When I got there I figured might as well go to 3 and when I got there, I figured might as well go to 4 and at that point I said if I'm going to 4, I sure the crap ain't going to stop with only 1 mile to go. So I ran the whole thing solid in 55:01. Yeah the 01 annoyed me but either way I am pretty proud of running 5 miles solid. :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday run weekend!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,822. Sep 1, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6 miles 51 min. Ran to the Apple Festival. Got a fried apple pie and a sticky bun!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,823. Sep 1, 2012 3:57 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Jmsab- great time and place on your 5k! My fav though is that you went back and helped your daughter run in. It's the end of the first few races that's the hardest; it seems to take forever to find the finish. Get ready, she'll be coming back looking for you soon.

Chell - great perseverance! Mind over feet.

4.91 in 71 min., 100% humidity and 84 degrees. I walked the first half mile trying to get Motoactiv to work. No sound now. Lousy execution of a great idea and forget about customer service. I *ran* the 3.1 after mile 1 in 41 min. with splits of 13, 12 n 15. By mi. 2, I felt like I was slogging through mud, probably from training yesterday. The first 2 and a half miles after I actually started running were faster than normal and kind of a surprise given the weather. I'm almost afraid to write this but am hoping the gall bladder was the reason I couldn't push beyond a 15 mm and all I have to do now is build muscles and conditioning. Really want to run a 5k race under 40 min before November and under 30 min by the end of next summer.

Run strong and fierce all you mighty warriors!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,824. Sep 1, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Got a nice 5-miler in today, downhill start and uphill finish, but I did the whole thing - no walking. I was watching the time and hoping I could break 40 minutes. Mission accomplished. 39:38. Walked the dog a little while after -- she was happy about that. Cooling down here in ME -- about 72 when I went out.

For any who remember Caleb, and I know Linus does, I asked a friend about his condition, and he is beginning to feel some of the effects. The cancer is not only behind his eye (that's just one area they were really concerned about), it is an aggressive type and it is spreading. He has begun treatments, has some hair loss, and sometimes tires easily. He was at a b'day party for one of his cousins and was playing like a normal kid, then got tired and his dad had to hold him for a while. He rested, felt better, and then played some more. So he still has spirit. That's all the info I got today. Hopefully the treaments knock down the spreading so they can operate and take out most or all of it. We can hope.

NHLA..... I like the reward you gave yourself!!! I wouldn't mind running with you on that type of run.    Thanks for the 5k comment. I was 5th in Age Group, and was only close to the 4th guy. The first 3 were pretty much out of my league!!!  All from out of town -- those ringers!

Mkay.... I'll pass along your comment to my daughter -- and you're probably right. Next year we'll see how low she can get. This year she wants to work on just building up her endurance so she can run the 3 miles without cramping, side-stitching, etc.

Chell, Chell, Chell...... I am SO glad I didn't walk any of my run today. I would have felt SO bad posting after reading your determination-filled workout!! Way to go, go go!!! A friend of mine who has run all kinds of distance races, including Boston many times, says if you're telling yourself you want to stop, then it's all in your head - shut up and run. If you do stop, it had better be because your body is telling you.  Sometimes I push myself like you did so I don't have to think about hearing it from her when she sees me. And when I do stop, it's more than likely it IS something my body is telling me, not my mind playing tricks on me.

Dobrobuck..... Good to hear from you. Nice bike miles!! Keep us informed on your marathon training.

Vacation is over after tonight. Back to it tomorrow.

To all... have a safe Labor Day weekend.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...