Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3259 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 10:04 PM by Zeke351
Zeke351 Amateur 15 posts since
Jul 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 25, 2012 9:39 AM

I Finished C25K Today!

Today I finished my 9 week running program C25k! When I started this program I could barely run for 60 seconds and today I ran for 36 minutes without stopping! Now I just keep working to improve. Next on my list is to actually run a 5k race! I am not sure which one though. Komen "Race For The Cure" is in October but that is a huge race to do as a first one. In November the "Hear In The Mesa 5k" is being held right behind where I work. Decisions, decisions! I would love to hear about any other races anyone might know of around Mesa, AZ!

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

• andre66 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 29, 2012
    1. Aug 29, 2012 2:52 AM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Hi there,

i just signed up so i could congratulate you on finishing the c25k program. I have just finished the first week myself and hope to be able to make a similar post in 9 weeks.

Good luck with your first 5k

Andre

• gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 21, 2012
    2. Aug 29, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

I have a question I am into about 5 weeks now this yesterday was hard I did just as much walking as running very humid here in central FL not sure where you are did you stay by the book schedule or did you go beyond I am finding now I am just running as far as I can and then maybe walk 1-2  min and run again as long as I can doing about 40 min. with 3 miles do you suggest I get back on the schedule? did you ever find days were you were falling behind & not such good days?  Just looking for a good advise for a newbie- thanks

• Longtallsallee Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 25, 2012
    3. Aug 29, 2012 1:39 PM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Great job!! Why wait till October or November?  Maybe you can find one in September and get your first race under your belt !!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    7. Sep 1, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Zeke, congratulations on finishing C25K and good luck on that first 5K (the first of many).  You are right on two important points.  First, this is the beginning of what you want to become a lifetime activity.  Second, cross-training with the emphasis on core strengthening is vital.  Strengthening those muscles will help your posture and that in turn will let your entire body share the stresses of running.

Since I'm in Illinois, I can't help you pick that first race, but I'm sure there are lots from which to choose.  Ask around at your local running stores to see which they recommend.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• KByron Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    8. Sep 8, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Congrats!  I finished on Thursday (September 6).  I have signed up for three 5ks (one at the end of September, one at the end of October, and a Thanksgiving Day Gobble Wobble).  Looking forward to what is hopefully going to be a lifetime activity!

• lauramom0204 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    9. Sep 11, 2012 12:11 PM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Congratulations!  I'm just starting W8 myself.  If all goes well, I should be "graduating" at the end of next week and celebrating like you are now.  Good luck in your first race! 

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    11. Sep 12, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to Zeke351)
    I Finished C25K Today!

Congrats on graduation.  I'm in Week 6 also in Arizona, San Tan Valley.  I know the Hot Chocolate 15k/5k is coming up in December, I was thinking about that one for my first.  There is also a great running store in Tempe called Sole Sports Running Zone which has a list of local races.  They also have some really helpful staff there who sold me a great fitting pair of shoes.  Good luck, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see if anyone else has good ideas about what's coming up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...