Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

677604 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,825. Sep 1, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to chell730)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Chell: running 5 miles without stopping is a big deal !  Just add one mile per week to your long run till you get up to eight.miles. Don't worry about your time. Time for that later.

jmsab: how old are you? That's a speedy AG. Use the 3rd place time as your goal race pace. How fast was the 3rd place guy?

Mary Kay: Try to hold a 9:20 pace on TM for five min. 3x. Learn what it feels like to run that pace.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,826. Sep 2, 2012 6:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Saturday, and early morning 13 mile run.  2 hours & 20 minutes.  Resting today.  Tomorrow, one more early run on the lakefront trail.  Then I'm tapering off in advance of the Half Marathon.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    3,827. Sep 2, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to degregorius)

Thanks everyone! It was an interesting experience. I am still new at the running thing and I am working on listening to my body more.  I have noticed that I might have pain in a certain areas but they only last while I am running and I don't have any other pain through the day.  I did have to fight through some bad side stitches around miles 3 and 4 but I knew I could run through them. 

My mileage will be increasing on the weekends with the exception of next Saturday when I have a 5k run.  I am working through HH's novice 1 for the half marathon.  My half isn't until April but for me the first step is to get my mileage up and get more comfortable with running longer distances.  I haven't really focused on time too much. Sometimes I get competitive with myself but I try not to.  I just remind myself that a year ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of running 5 seconds let alone 5 miles.  I can honestly say I don't know what I would so with myself If I hadn't started running.  My mom told me when I was younger that I couldn't run and growing up I always sort of envied runners. I am so glad I decided to take it up and I'm so glad I decided to "prove my mom wrong". It's turned into so much more. 

Happy Labor Day everyone!!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3,828. Sep 2, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to degregorius)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

once again, not posting for a mere 3 days has left me almost 4 pages of great stuff to catch up on.

oshcat: too bad that DAS can't be there for your big day, but sounds like a good reason.  Suggest using the opportunity to meet some new people at race and once you settle in to your pace, there will be lots of others there with you to talk to.  If you can do this, will take your mind off the race and the time will pass much more quickly.  Am sure that DAS is very proud of all your training, and will be equally proud when you come home that HM medal!   Keep up the good work!

justrundan:  Grats on making the final commitment to the upcoming HM.  same advice on finding a group to run that first HM with.  There are so many people out there doing exactly what you are doing who love to talk about it...case in point is this group!  Have fun with the rest of your training.

coyote:  hear you about life getting in the way...truly hope that everything is all right there and things return to normal soon.  For rash and anti chafing, I use 2Toms Sport Shield roll on on any/all parts of the body that tend to chafe.  It's water based, and won't stain...supposed to last for a full marathon and was available at local running store.

alniner:  hoep that ankle is feeling better by now.  Good luck with your race tomorrow and let Terranns know we are all still thinking and praying for him and his wife.

degregorious:  hope both the elbow and ego are better by now.  And while I don't like to admit it, it is getting to be time for those headlights again.  Where did Summer go?  Good luck with HM taper.

snerb:  glad to hear the shoes are breaking in, and great that you are still finding the time to run with everything else going on.

debm:  Happy B-Day!  48 years young!  and sounds like you had a good run to celebrate the new year...way to finish strong!  that will serve you well in the HM.

bigslade:  sometimes the hardest runs are the most beneficial, and you finished it strong.  Keep pushing though the training plan and you will appreciate all those runs as you cross the finish line.  Good luck on your long run.

jmsab:  a big "Whoot" and fist pump for your daughter's 5k!  Awesome!!!  And great time for you too!  Some day I will finish a race not too far behind you...and then again, probably not!  Nice work!  Thanks for the update on caleb.  I must admit that it makes me so sad to hear about another child being put through an unfair test with cancer.  We were out with Avery's parents last night for dinner...they miss her so much, as do we all.  Please tell Caleb's family that we are thinking of them and praying for Caleb to pull through this.  Truly brings tears to my eyes...

dobobruck:  welcome back!  Nice bike mileage that I am sure will help your return to running!

Chell:  agree with jmsab about how awesome you are doing, and how your commitment/conviction to keep going is inspiring.  You are on a great journey to improve your life forever...don't ever give up!

NHLA:  the taper is the reward for months of hard training.  Glad to see you are enjoying it, and gotta love those sticky buns, right?  Best of luck in your upcoming race.  I am sure you are going to kill it!

mkay:  great work on your come back from illness.  You are really doing awesome and undoubtedly getting stronger, which will eventually lead to faster, with each run.  Continue to be patient as your running journey is truly that, a long term commitment to feeling better and living longer, no matter what pace you run.  I was a little surprised, and maybe disappointed though that you didn't have an "underwear" update for us today!  LOL!

melodylea:  thanks for sharing some of the highlights of the truly wonderful life that your MIL led.  All I can say is WOW when I read about all that she did while here.  I am sure that her legacy will live on.  Hope that you, DH, and the rest of your family are finding some peace in all this.  And glad to hear that you are still running with everything going on. 

on thursday, ran a planned 8 miles with 6x1:00 sprints at faster than 5k pace.  Really hilly run plus these "fartlek" intervals made for a very tired boy by the time I got home.  Went to the mountains with college buddy for a couple rounds of golf and dinner...man, are the Rockies gorgeous in the summer!

yesterday ran a local 10 mile race with only 132 entrants.  Finished in 1:32:40 for a 9:16 pace which I was really happy with given the number of hills (one was a 9.5% grade that we had to climb both ways) and the fact that the last third of the race was all uphill.  While I was happy with this result, especially given my "hard" run on Thursday, I was shocked that i finished 19th of 26 in 40-49 AG.  Winning time overall was 59 minutes, and 2nd place was someone from my AG with a 1:03 finishing time!  Can't wait to turn 50 next Spring and be on the other end of the group.  All in all, the race accomplished what I needed for 3 weeks out from HM race so was very happy.  Also met some new folks and even ran/talked for a couple miles in middle of race which helped pass the time.  Have to say that now having trained pretty hard for the last  8 weeks, that I am very much looking forward to my taper, and running a flat course for the race.

Out for an easy run today, and then off tomorrow to enjoy the holiday.  Prayers to caleb, and all others that need them...let's run for them this week! 

Stay strong, run free, and be fearless in all that you do!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,829. Sep 2, 2012 8:32 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Thanks you everyone SO much for your kind words and condolences about my mother in law. It's still hard to believe she is gone. I ran a decent 5 miles this morning out on the beautiful Berkshire country roads. The leaves are starting to turn. Was hit with many beautiful memories of my mother in law. We walked on these roads together every time she came to visit. I'm "saving up" for two 13 miles runs. Next Sunday and the Sunday after. Then I'll have a long taper before my first half marathon!

az1414 Congrats on the strong runs and happy birthday to your "little girl"!

Debm2011 Thanks, re: my MIL. She WAS amazing and so full of life! Nice strong 6 miles.

justrundan Thank you. Oh, how exciting about your half! I hope the long run went well.

Webpro11 and EMTTrix Thanks. I cant believe she is gone. I hoped to have her in my life many more years. All my parent figures are gone now.

BigSlade Definately the Paleo diet!! You will eventually adjust, believe me. Our bodies are so used to running on high carb fuel, it takes a few weeks to "re-train" your body to burn the more slow burning fat.

degregorius Glad the ego AND the shoulder are healing up! Your half is soon, yes?? Next week? Exciting.

mkayc So true: "Those clouds have a habit of coming when you least expect them but they do pass." I honestly don't feel fully recovered from my own mother passing two years ago. Tough stuff. Thanks. I am very excited that you are finding your pace! Yay you.

jmsab23 Thank you...you words brought a new river of tears. My MIL WAS like my other mom and a good friend as well. I'm so happy for you that you still have your MIL in your life. Awesome that your daughter did so well on her first 5k!

Dobrobuck Thank you and welcome back!! Fantastic on all those bike miles and best of luck on the new marathon training.

NHLA Whoot, the race is coming up very soon, yes??

chell730 Thanks, re: my MIL passing. . Nice job on the 5 miles!! Those side stitches will soon disappear as you run more.

linuscatch Thank you. Wow, what awesome running and racing you've been up to!!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,830. Sep 2, 2012 10:54 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Chell - you're doing great! 

llinus - thanks

jmsab23 - will continue prayers for Caleb.  Great race and congrats to your daughter!

MaryKay - keep working on it - you'll get there. 

MelodyLea - I hope running on your Berkshires roads with happy memories of MIL will  bring you peace.

I feel like I did everything wrong today.  I slept in and didn't get out of bed until 8:00, which means I didn't hit the road until after 9:00 and it was already 70 degrees ( but dry).  I also should have had my usual cereal with almond milk and not a protein bar. I also should have reviewed the map of my route before I left.  I was hot, tired, and had a little queasiness that fortunately didn't last more than a mile or 2.  By the time I hit 5 miles I was feeling pretty good  though.  At 8 miles my gps quit on me and I forgot which of the 2 routes I had planned (there were only slight differences in the last 2 miles).  I opted for the longer one because I didn't want to come up short, which unfortunately was the route with the big uphill during mile 10.  I had to walk some of it but felt a little stronger after I crested the hill.  The last 1/2 mile was really hard but I made it and then walked an additional  1/4 to 1/2 mile as a cool down before stretching and using my foam roller.  When I logged in to mapmyrun it appears the route I did was 10.41 miles instead of 10.  Hopefully that means when I go to increase to 11 miles it won't be that hard?  All in all,though, I am very excited that I ran 10 miles.  This also ends my first ever week with mileage over 20 with 20.5 miles for the week. 

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,831. Sep 2, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Debm2011  Fantastic, Deb!! Good for you. I think the 10 mile mark is a huge milestone. Congrats!! The pre-run fueling and such are just lessons learned, right? What works for me (and I'm just sharing my thoughts on fueling, etc.)  I've been on a Paleo-Slow carb diet for about 4 months and I'm lactose intolerant. So, I have a morning smoothie of 1/3 c. pasturized egg whites, 2 tbs of hemp protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, and berries (rasberries, strawberries or blueberries). I get about 200 calories of nutrition, some good clean carbs, and that 30 gram blast of protein suggested for the Slow Carb diet morning re-start. I never get stomach upset from it, plus I can usually run within 1/2 hour -45 minutes of slurping it down. My two cents.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    3,832. Sep 2, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Chell: great job on the 5 miler straight through!! There's alot to be said when it comes to proving people wrong, but proving something to yourself is most important!! Keep up the hard work it will become easier..

Debm: good job on the 10.41m way to gut it out!!

Melody: your gonna ace that half-your doing what it takes!!

Linus: great pace on the 10 miler!!!

degreg: nice time on the 13 miles, gotta love the taper-means your hard work is coming to a great result!!!

Did a 3.5 mile run this afternoon in the remnants of Issac to get started back into the running after a few months layoff. All in all a very enjoyable run, just gotta get back into the groove again!!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    3,833. Sep 2, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Took off this morning for my long run and I was not looking forward to it.  I caught a break from the rain we are getting from Issac, but it was still 97% humidity.  Temps in the low 70s when I started, close to 80 when I finished but they weren't too bad.  I was soaked to the core by the time I got home though.  So much for moisture wicking fabric...  I got in 11.25 miles in 1:50:56 but that did involve several walk breaks.  I pushed through the dead legs in the begining, but after mile 9 or so I was just dead, but i finished it so I'm happy with that. 

jmsab23 I stretch some, but I've never really stretched much before my runs.  I run my first half mile to mile at a slower pace as a warm up. 

Chell way to go.  I know running on the treadmill is hard, so congrats on pushing through! 

Feb 23, 2012
    3,834. Sep 2, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

12 miles 1 hr 42 min.  Only 30 miles this week.  This taper is driving me crazy.  I have walked the toenails off the dog. I didn't run the apple festival 8k for the first itime n 10 years. Can't wait to run the BBR.

Linus: great race!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,835. Sep 2, 2012 7:21 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Back to work today (yes, we start on Sundays, even holidays), and then mowed the lawn after a quick dinner. Was going to just do weights and core workout, but thought I'd try the TM to see if it wanted to work. It started. So I tried an easy jog for about 8 minutes, then bumped it up twice before running at a 7:30 pace for a mile. Finished the three miles with a 1/2 mile of 6:40 pace. Both the TM and I passed the test. 3 miles total in 25 minutes. Did two sets of weights and core exercises after that. Felt tired but good feeling. Plus, I know the darkness won't stop my workouts this fall. At least for now.

NHLA...... I'm 56. The third place time  in my AG was 20:30.3, and the second place guy was 20:30.0. My PR is 20:41, so I would have had to have a super-fast race for me. Not that I'll never get to that time, but I haven't been training well enough to hit that right now.

DebM.... Good things can come from mistakes!!! Great distance!!

Linus..... I know the feeling about Age Group finishes. I thought I might be up there in the top three, but I was fifth. And then I saw there were 3 guys in the 60-69 group ahead of me, too!!!! I was 45th overall, but I was the 8th finisher over 50!!

BigSlade (11.25 miles), Degregorius (13), Linus (10-mile race), NHLA (12) ......Some BIG miles!!!!!!!!

Melody..... I'll be increasing my runs for the HM at the end of the month. I'd like to meet you there.

To all, safe and fearless running.

Feb 23, 2012
    3,836. Sep 2, 2012 7:42 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab I am 56 also.  Times are so different in the mts. 21 would win your ag here. 

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,837. Sep 2, 2012 8:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Looks like it's been a busy weekend for everyone!  Way to go gang.

Saturday morning I was able to get out fairly early (for a Saturday!) and did the long SLOW day milage.  Can't even call it a long slow run; in order to keep my hear rate down I seemed to walk sooooo much- but I finished 21 miles.  It's good the that long milage runs are, as they say, more about time on your feet to stress and strenghen the muscles/ligaments/tendons and not about speed, cuz there wasn't any of that.  But o did I sleep well last night.  Planning 4-5 miles tomorrow to loosen up and then need to spend more time stretching.  Those long runs really tighten me up.

Have a great Labor Day friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    3,838. Sep 3, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Mel: I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law passing. I pray that God brings you, your husband and all those who knew and loved her peace and comfort in this time of grief. Yes, run through the grief. I recently went through a very tough situation that brought more pain and sadness than I had felt in years. It was quite scary for me to be in such a dark, sad and gloomy place, but I felt like I couldn't get out.....until I started running again regularly. For those of us who love it, there is a spiritual element to running that brings healing, clarity, and strength. Draw from that. Allow your memories to carry you through and know that her spirit will be with you as you conquer your half. God bless you.

WebPro: You're amazing. I just covered my first 20 on Sat--details below. I'll do either 22 or 23 miles on the 15th, same as you, and begin my taper. I'm still amazed that I covered 20 miles, yet there are still 6.2 to go to cover a marathon. Yikes! lol Continue to run strong. You inspire me. Chicago-bound, baby!!

All: Great job on your races and runs, everyone. You all are putting in some serious work and I love reading about it.

I hit a new milestone with my 20-miler on Saturday. This is my first time writing about it because it was really an overwhelming experience. So much so, that shortly after finishing, while stretching, I burst into tears. I thanked God for the strength and endurance it took to conquer that distance, those hills; parts of the run when everything in me wanted to and felt justified in stopping. It was amazing. An awesome reminder of the strength we all possess. I'm actually getting teary-eyed typing this. I did make a huge mistake in my recovery, though: I did too much. Instead of resting and hydrating all day after the run, I ran around and then went to an all day, outdoor music festival where I danced my butt off. All of that was great, except it was 90 degrees and humid outside. I did drink some water and only had one beer, but I didn't account for how much more I should have drank to replenish all that I lost during my run. Didn't get much sleep Sat night either. Got up and had 2 cups of coffee Sunday morning, then rushed off to church where I ran up 3 flights of stairs. While sitting in church listening to an awesome sermon, I suddenly felt dizzy; like I was about to pass out. I got really nervous and walked out to get water. That helped a lot. Once I got my composure, I realized the feeling was familiar, it was how I felt when I was dehydrated. So, I stayed to hear the rest of the sermon then left to get a big bottle of Powerade and some water. I started feeling better immediately after drinking the Powerade. Then I got home and slept heavily for a couple of hours. I guess I felt so good on Saturday after the run that I seriously underestimated the impact the run had on my body. Lesson learned. I'll be sure to hydrate and get some decent rest after my long runs, especially as I cover these new distances.

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day. Happy running, my friends.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    3,839. Sep 3, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to NRDgirl)

Happy Labor Day everyone!!

I had a short 2 miler scheduled for today which I once again treadmilled because of humidity. I pray it moves out before Saturday. I have a 5k scheduled to run.  I plan to run outside more this week. I ran the whole thing without stopping. I'm praying for the strength to do the same outside this week too. 

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoys their holiday!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...