Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1504 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 10:47 PM by crl8686
AmyOberosler Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2012 4:39 PM

Gadgets?

I would like to know how many here use a

fitbit

striiv

Nike fuel band

bodybug

pedometer (brand name)

Thanks for any tips

Amy from wa

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    1. Aug 22, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

fit bit is nice for motivation, but not training

striiv --> never heard of

Nike fuel band, great for motivation and training

bodybug is an overpriced pice of ..., as far as i know only sold by a large gym chain

pedometer not useful

but if you really want to train, get a heart rate monitor, even a cheap one. Beats all the other mentioned gadgets. If you are into social pressure, maybe Nike + hrm works best. Otherwise, go for the cheapest Polar.

Best,

Stefan

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Aug 22, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

How can you run with all those gadgets...good grief.  Garmin Forerunner.  That's all a runner needs.  210 looks to be just grand.  I'm even starting to leave the iPod at home.  I run better listening to my body and not AC/DC.

I've worn out my 305 after 4 years-won't hold charge for 5 miles for me now, which is just about 35 minutes.  I can't say enough good things about the company - they're replacing mine for $78, sending it to me while I can continue to use this old one, and return it back to them.

I was shocked.  What a great customer experience.

• chele519 Rookie 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 30, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

I use a bodymedia, which is similar to bodybugg, and Garmin forerunner. Love them both.

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Sep 3, 2012 10:08 AM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

Wow, been running for 20 years and had to look most of these up...

fitbit At first glance this looks like a smart scale/calory consumption tracker. I don't use these, probably more related to weight loss than to actual training.

striiv This is defined as a "smart pedometer" and it looks to have some social "side" added. I used to have a pedometer, but do not use it anymore since I got a GPS watch.

Nike fuel band  This seems to have an accelerometer to track your level of movement and connect to a smartphone for statistics and social side. Again not really my thing, but I can understand how it can help boost motivation.

bodybug This one is another calory consumption tracker, at this moment I am not really into weight loss so I do not use it.

I agree with nowirun4fun , I believe what I mostly need is something to keep track of my miles and pace. I use a garmin forerunner 405 which works great. Whenever I run alone and in a familiar course I also listen to music, so I use my ipod with an armband and the Jaybird Free bluetooth headphones which work great and allow me to run "wireles". I guess I am lucky and this is all the motivation I need.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    5. Sep 10, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Gadgets?

I love my Forerunner! I have the 405 and I cant say enough good things about it.

Glad to hear about the positive customer service!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Sep 10, 2012 10:47 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

I routinely run with a Garmin 410 (the first successor to the 405 - comparable capability, except the 410 is less sensitive to water and sweat) and my beloved iPod nano. I would find it distracting to run with more than that. As for fuel and fluids, I don't need anything for distances up to about 7 miles unless it's unusually hot (which it normally isn't in the early morning). For my longest runs, about 8 or 9 miles, I just plan to route past a water source and so don't even need to carry water.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points