Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1564 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 10:47 PM by crl8686
AmyOberosler Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2012 4:39 PM

Gadgets?

I would like to know how many here use a

fitbit

striiv

Nike fuel band

bodybug

pedometer (brand name)

Thanks for any tips

Amy from wa

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    1. Aug 22, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

fit bit is nice for motivation, but not training

striiv --> never heard of

Nike fuel band, great for motivation and training

bodybug is an overpriced pice of ..., as far as i know only sold by a large gym chain

pedometer not useful

but if you really want to train, get a heart rate monitor, even a cheap one. Beats all the other mentioned gadgets. If you are into social pressure, maybe Nike + hrm works best. Otherwise, go for the cheapest Polar.

Best,

Stefan

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Aug 22, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

How can you run with all those gadgets...good grief.  Garmin Forerunner.  That's all a runner needs.  210 looks to be just grand.  I'm even starting to leave the iPod at home.  I run better listening to my body and not AC/DC.

I've worn out my 305 after 4 years-won't hold charge for 5 miles for me now, which is just about 35 minutes.  I can't say enough good things about the company - they're replacing mine for $78, sending it to me while I can continue to use this old one, and return it back to them.

I was shocked.  What a great customer experience.

• chele519 Rookie 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 30, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

I use a bodymedia, which is similar to bodybugg, and Garmin forerunner. Love them both.

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Sep 3, 2012 10:08 AM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

Wow, been running for 20 years and had to look most of these up...

fitbit At first glance this looks like a smart scale/calory consumption tracker. I don't use these, probably more related to weight loss than to actual training.

striiv This is defined as a "smart pedometer" and it looks to have some social "side" added. I used to have a pedometer, but do not use it anymore since I got a GPS watch.

Nike fuel band  This seems to have an accelerometer to track your level of movement and connect to a smartphone for statistics and social side. Again not really my thing, but I can understand how it can help boost motivation.

bodybug This one is another calory consumption tracker, at this moment I am not really into weight loss so I do not use it.

I agree with nowirun4fun , I believe what I mostly need is something to keep track of my miles and pace. I use a garmin forerunner 405 which works great. Whenever I run alone and in a familiar course I also listen to music, so I use my ipod with an armband and the Jaybird Free bluetooth headphones which work great and allow me to run "wireles". I guess I am lucky and this is all the motivation I need.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    5. Sep 10, 2012 10:51 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Gadgets?

I love my Forerunner! I have the 405 and I cant say enough good things about it.

Glad to hear about the positive customer service!

Mike

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Sep 10, 2012 10:47 PM (in response to AmyOberosler)
    Gadgets?

I routinely run with a Garmin 410 (the first successor to the 405 - comparable capability, except the 410 is less sensitive to water and sweat) and my beloved iPod nano. I would find it distracting to run with more than that. As for fuel and fluids, I don't need anything for distances up to about 7 miles unless it's unusually hot (which it normally isn't in the early morning). For my longest runs, about 8 or 9 miles, I just plan to route past a water source and so don't even need to carry water.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points