Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1040 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2012 2:38 PM by Lacasajo RSS
Taramike2012 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 25, 2012 11:07 PM

Very LARGE labral tear concerned about treatment

Hello to all,

I am a new member in hopes of getting some input from other labral patients. I am 33 years old, female and  was in a rollover car accident in February with increased groin, hip and thigh pain that has become debilitating. I had a MRI arthrogram last week and just learned that I have a very large tear from the 3 oclock area to the 12 o'clock area of the labrum. I have been referred to a surgeon that specializes in hip arthroscopy but was told not to do any physical therapy or exercise at all because of the size. Prior to my car accident I had been an avid runner, elliptical. On a side note the car accident also caused a meniscus tear in same sided knee and rotator cuff tear in same sided shoulder. I am curious if anyone else had a labrum hip tear that was this large and what your treatment and outcome was.

I am very nervous and hopeful for insight.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,127 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Jul 9, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to Taramike2012)

You will find plenty of support by re-posting in this Active thread... http://community.active.com/thread/75071/hip-arthroscopy-labral-tear/0/0

• Lacasajo Legend 295 posts since
    Jan 5, 2008
    2. Sep 3, 2012 2:38 PM (in response to Taramike2012)

Hi Taramike2012:

So sorry you are in this awful predicament.  Most people who post on labral tear/arthroscopy threads have degenerative type tears with some underlying abnormality in the bone structure that predisposes them to a labral tear.  I have mild hip dysplasia and had an arthroscopic repair done in 2011.  Others have some form of FAI (impingement).  IMHO, since your tear is traumatic, if you have no other damage to the hip joint, and if you have no underlying abnormalities in the hip, then I think you would have a very high chance of a good result if you have it arthroscopically repaired.  It's usually the underlying problems that result in a poor result from hip arthroscopy, especially if there is already some arthritis.  However, you may want to ask your surgeon if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to having an open repair.

Who said no exercise AT ALL?    I would think that's a bit extreme!  How about isometric hip exercises to maintain some strength?  How about some exercises to maintain strength in the parts of you that are still functioning well?  How about 1 legged cycling on a stationery bike?   Heck, even 1 armed swimming with a pull buoy so you don't use your legs!  A good physiotherapist who understands your injuries, should be able to help design an exercise program that will benefit you.  Nothing worse than an athletic person who can't exercise!    

Good luck and I'd love to hear how things progress for you.  Jo

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...