Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1788 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2012 2:43 PM by Julie Ann Hackett
gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2012 7:28 AM

Do you ever run everyday?

I am wondering at some point do you literally run everyday? say at least 5 days a week or is it best to just stick with every other day and do alternate exercises on the days you don't run?  I am a newbie and running every other day is it ok to run 2 days in a row during the week sometime I don't want to go to the gym and just think about running 2 days in a row.  I am into week 6 it is Tues. and I probably won't run until tomorrow due to being down with a bug and holiday weekend.

Any advise on running consecutive days in a run much appreciated.

• BigSlade Amateur 36 posts since
    May 4, 2012
    1. Sep 4, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to gogolegs)

Last winter as I was training for my marathon I got to the point where I was running 5-6 times a week.  Granted it took me time to build up to that, and right now if I ran 5-6 times a week I don't think that would be a wise move on my part.  Depending on your level of fitness and how much you are running you should not have an issue with running two days in a row.  Unless I'm into a heavy training mode I run every other day to let my muscles and joints recover.  Give it a shot and let your body tell you if you can handle it.  If you feel fine after running two days in a row you should be fine, if you are sore and your muscles fatigued, then you should avoid running on consecutive days until you condition yourself properly.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Sep 4, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to gogolegs)

Hi gogolegs,

I do run every day, but that includes intervals, tempos and sometimes just a few miles mixed in with walking and cross-training at the gym.  I think it is fine to do something every day.  Rest and recovery periods are certainly important and that is highly individualized, so I agree with the above advice to find your own mode/level of comfort to progress slowly over a period of time. 

Basically, my schedule is now weight-lifting two or three times a week, and I just try to schedule my longer runs on alternate days.  It does not always work out that way because I never know what I might do until heading out the door and moving, but (unless I am traveling or out of town, I do not take a day off), so you will find the best schedule that most fits your needs and goals. 

In general, if you feel fine, then just listen to your body and put in the extra effort. 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Sep 4, 2012 6:00 PM (in response to gogolegs)

It all depends on your goals as a runner.  If you just want to reap the benefits from running, then 10 miles a week is supposed to be enough.

If you want to work in a few 5K races running 20+ miles a week, then obviously you'll be running more than someone only looking for the health benefits and may want to run on consecutive days.

Right now, I'm training for a marathon and July 5th was the last time I took a day off, I run 7 days a week.

My suggestion would be to research the different runs designed to make you a better runner.  Lactate threshold runs, intervals, hill repeats, long runs, tempo runs, recovery runs, easy runs, etc., they all serve a purpose and you'll have to decide how much of it you want to incorporate into your training.

After you've done that, hopefully it'll give you a better perspective of where you want to go as a runner.

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Shaun_Nichols Amateur 7 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    4. Sep 10, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

I think it all has to do with which level you are currently at as a runner. For instance, if you are just starting out, I feel you should give your body the rest days it needs in order to adjust to the impact it is taking. In just about all the training programs I have seen online, they advise you to run about 3-4 days a week with a rest day and at least a cross training day. It also depends on how your body is feeling. If you are scheduled for a run and your body is telling you no, then it might be a wise move to push the run back a day. I am very new to the sport (6 wks) but listening to my body has been my biggest advantage.

Good luck.

• SansPants Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011
    5. Sep 11, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to gogolegs)

Yes, I run everyday.  I try not to take it to hard and only do so when I'm not training for a marathon.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Sep 11, 2012 2:43 PM (in response to gogolegs)

When I was training for marathons and half marathons I'd always try to throw in some crosstraining.  Running every day got boring for me.  All that crosstraining turned me into a triathlete!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points