Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

481 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 12:22 PM by xc29min RSS
xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
Dec 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2012 10:04 AM

Lateral Meniscus

Hi 50+ runners.  I'm 56.  I have a long history of running.  For the last 5+ years I've been running injury free.  I'm currently having a problem with my knee.  Seems an 8 mile hilly trail run got to my knee.  The best I can tell is that its sore on the outside.  It hurts when I press on that area.  I've rehab this kind of injury in the past on the on the other knee years ago so this is a familiar "road".

I'm not sure if there are any tears involved or not.  Seems to me that my knee is just sore from "overuse" on that trail run I did.  My question is,  has anyone had just a sore knee's that went away with time?  Has anyone had a mild torn Lateral Meniscus and if so what did you do for it?

Over all, I'm healthy and in good condition.  I suppose I plan on just stopping the running until I see what happens with my knee.  I'm hoping rest and ice will do.   Its times like this that I realize how much I still enjoy and have that passion for running. familiar

"Peace" Long May You Run

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1. Sep 4, 2012 10:35 AM (in response to xc29min)
    Lateral Meniscus

xc29,

I too have struggled with knee issues. In my experience, I have dealt with knee pain two ways:

1) Often it signals I need a new pair of shoes.

2) Other times it signals I need to stop torquing the knee by running cross-country (which I prefer, and by your screen name I'm guessing you do, too). Moving to the track often eases the pain.

Once, several years ago, I was running cross-country and my knee hurt so badly I had to walk back to my car. On a hunch, I drove straight to the track. I was able to run at the track immediately, with no pain at all! I took some time off from running cross-country and my knee got better.

If you don't have a track, your local gym probably has treadmills.

I don't recommend paved roads if your knee is sore, for two reasons: roads are typically angled slightly which torques your knee, and pavement is always hard which jars your knee.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 4, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Lateral Meniscus

I've had minor knee pain crop up, then go away, but nothing that's lasted for more than a day or two.

With that being my only experience, I guess rice would be my first suggestion and if your knee doesn't respond, probably a wise choice would be to see a doc.

And welcome to the forum xc29...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...