Skip navigation

2187 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 4:45 PM by PGhardworkADED RSS
Rebound23 Pro 99 posts since
Mar 16, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2012 5:49 PM

1 on 1 help!

Sup everyone! So, today I was playing 1 on 1 with some of the members of my team. School just got in so we wanted to see how we've improved. Anyway them knowing me they guarded loosely because they knew my shooting wasn't the best. I won but I had to shoot and got blocked a few times. I guess I'm not used to getting open off the dribble for a shot because I'm so used to driving. Can anyone give me some tips or moves I can do so I can get open and avoid the shameful block?

• futurelegend23 Amateur 26 posts since
    Dec 8, 2011
    1. Sep 6, 2012 1:12 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    1 on 1 help!

So I'm a little guy and get my shot blocked often :/ It's is pretty shameful. But do you know what's worst? Pumping them dirty and then taking an easy layup.   I guess just pump fake alot. Do some stepbacks a few times than stepback, look up, cross and drive by. Bottom line, if a guy is biggger than you, he's going to want to swat you. Use pump fakes often, floaters are a great aspect to add to your game. It looks really bad when they miss a block or hit your arm. So be aggressive a few times let them get embarrassed. They will let off a little. Hope I helped.

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    3. Sep 11, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    1 on 1 help!

I don't suggest you do it in a game unless your amazing at it but once you practice it a lot, dribble the ball between THEIR legs. I do it all the time and some times even pass the ball to some people throw the defenders legs. I passed through my defenders legs in a pickup game, no one was expecting it and it went right to my guy, underneath the basket, easy layup. But it's an easy way for me to get by my man on a fast break in pickup or 1on1. But don't do it too much or else the defender will know it's comin and stop it before it gets between their legs. I learned that the hard way. Lost that 1on1.

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    5. Sep 12, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    1 on 1 help!

Ya that tape might get you a scholarship!! But the reason I started doin the between their leg dribbles and passes is cuz I was watchin a Suns bball game and Steve Nash drove into the lane and when a defender tried to block his shot he passed it right between there legs for an easy bucket. And in the Rising Stars game during All Star weekend Ricky Rubio was runnin a fast break and Demarcus Cousins tried to stop him. Rubio dribbled it through his legs and made him look like a fool!!!!!!! Keep a close eye on those guys durin the season, I'm almost positive they'll do it at least once durin the season!!!!!!!

• PGhardworkADED Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    6. Sep 12, 2012 4:45 PM (in response to Rebound23)
    1 on 1 help!

Hey man, Im a seinor this year in high school and am the starting pg. I do not get that much respect on my shot either. My advice is to shoot with confidence. There is no reason to shoot the ball if you dont believe that its going in. I finally learned that. 2 moves I worked on this summer were: Do a jab step either to the right or left, then once you jab forward cross back the other way. make sure you get a lot of space on the cross and then pull up 1, 2 step. Im a righty so I jab left (big step, sell it), cross back right and am perfectly squared to the basket. The other one is to keep your head up and to act like your about to drive and then a quick 1,2 step make sure you jump high off the ground, release off your finger tips and hold your follow through. Keep ballen and Good luck with everything #Ballislife

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points